Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Vibration at 70 mph

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Vibration at 70 mph

My 14 3500 4x4. Dually has a vibration at 70 mph. After reading all solutions driveshaft tires out of balance etc that has not cured the problem i got out my tape measure due to my inside right side tire is wearing on inside corner. I measured from center of inside tire to center of front tire and it measures 12 ft 6.5 inches. O then measured left side and it measures 12 ft 7.25 inches. A difference of .75 inches. I am going to jack truck up and loosen ubolts on one side and see if i can pull axle in line and retighten ubolts and them measure distance again. They should be same distance on both sides front to back.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Vibration at 70 mph

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by donjhart View Post
    My 14 3500 4x4. Dually has a vibration at 70 mph. After reading all solutions driveshaft tires out of balance etc that has not cured the problem i got out my tape measure due to my inside right side tire is wearing on inside corner. I measured from center of inside tire to center of front tire and it measures 12 ft 6.5 inches. O then measured left side and it measures 12 ft 7.25 inches. A difference of .75 inches. I am going to jack truck up and loosen ubolts on one side and see if i can pull axle in line and retighten ubolts and them measure distance again. They should be same distance on both sides front to back.
    You have a split drive shaft? How many miles on the truck? Tires? Rotors? Calipers

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So i had the chance to get my truck in garage and measured axle distance again from front to back and this time it was a 1/2 inch difference . When i went to loosen the ubolts on left side they were not at all tight. I could see evidence after raising truck that u bolts had been rotating front to back on axle. I attached ratchet strap to left side and pulled forward and then retightened u bolts. The deisign of u bolt locking plate is poor in that there is about 1/4 inch of play in either direction that will allow axle to shift back and forth . Also the size of the u bolts are what a 1/2 ton would use so be carefull when retorquing u bolts. I will be taking it for a drive today to see if vibration is gone

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

So if this is not the cure for your vibes, would need some more info. did you have tires balanced, road forced? as polarco said, you have a 2 piece rear shaft. Did you drop the shaft and
    inspect all the joints? one other question and to me really important, where are you feeling the vibration when you are driving? butt, hands, feet? does it do it in both 5th and 6th gear.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

10. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Polaraco, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by donjhart View Post
    So i had the chance to get my truck in garage and measured axle distance again from front to back and this time it was a 1/2 inch difference . When i went to loosen the ubolts on left side they were not at all tight. I could see evidence after raising truck that u bolts had been rotating front to back on axle. I attached ratchet strap to left side and pulled forward and then retightened u bolts. The deisign of u bolt locking plate is poor in that there is about 1/4 inch of play in either direction that will allow axle to shift back and forth . Also the size of the u bolts are what a 1/2 ton would use so be carefull when retorquing u bolts. I will be taking it for a drive today to see if vibration is gone
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    So if this is not the cure for your vibes, would need some more info. did you have tires balanced, road forced? as polarco said, you have a 2 piece rear shaft. Did you drop the shaft and
    inspect all the joints? one other question and to me really important, where are you feeling the vibration when you are driving? butt, hands, feet? does it do it in both 5th and 6th gear.
    Yeah what he said

check the carrier bearing too

You know, not for nothing, and don't take me wrong, the rear axles are self centering. It appears the truck hasn't been lifted so I suspect it was your measuring. I had a broken forward eye on my spring and it didn't vibrate. Off center would cause the truck to track and not vibrate.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post