Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

  1. Top Of Page | #1
    Bigmack's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    Ok so this is the second winter i have had my 2014 ram 2500. The first winter i had zero problems with it starting in the cold weather. Its 25degrees outside right now and my truck refuses to start. I let the grid heater turn on and it lights up for a second then the grid heater light goes away like there isn't enough power to keep it going. If i try to start then the truck just clicks like it has no battery power. Jumping doesn't help the truck start either. If i let it sit and try to start it without waiting for the grid heater most of the time it starts but sounds like the battery is about out of juice when it does. I have both batteries checked and they both are good. Almost perfect tbh. Could my grid heater be shot? I have 112k miles on it and the emissions was completely swapped out for new at 98k.

    41379665_10156278878442655_6962016968907948032_o.jpg

    - 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l (Sold)
    - 2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 75k miles (R.I.P gone but not forgotten)
    - 2014 Ram 2500 Tradesman 95k miles work truck about to be deleted for the first time
    https://www.instagram.com/mikemackyo/

  2. Top Of Page | #2
    Dwelsh's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmack View Post
    Ok so this is the second winter i have had my 2014 ram 2500. The first winter i had zero problems with it starting in the cold weather. Its 25degrees outside right now and my truck refuses to start. I let the grid heater turn on and it lights up for a second then the grid heater light goes away like there isn't enough power to keep it going. If i try to start then the truck just clicks like it has no battery power. Jumping doesn't help the truck start either. If i let it sit and try to start it without waiting for the grid heater most of the time it starts but sounds like the battery is about out of juice when it does. I have both batteries checked and they both are good. Almost perfect tbh. Could my grid heater be shot? I have 112k miles on it and the emissions was completely swapped out for new at 98k.

    41379665_10156278878442655_6962016968907948032_o.jpg
    Are you having the batteries tested after your drive it to the auto parts store and after it warms up? If it cranks any other time. But cranks slow or not at all when cold. Its batteries. As far as not jumping off that all depends what you was tryna jump it off with. If its cables they needa be pretty stout as does the vehicle jumping you off. If it's a jump box. Some jump boxes will not put out power unless they sense x amount of voltage. But ide go throw some batteries in it extreme changes in weather kills them.

    2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

  3. Likes walla2k5, allbizns liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Are you having the batteries tested after your drive it to the auto parts store and after it warms up? If it cranks any other time. But cranks slow or not at all when cold. Its batteries. As far as not jumping off that all depends what you was tryna jump it off with. If its cables they needa be pretty stout as does the vehicle jumping you off. If it's a jump box. Some jump boxes will not put out power unless they sense x amount of voltage. But ide go throw some batteries in it extreme changes in weather kills them.
    Agree with Dwelsh sounds like weak batteries your CCA not enough Amperage for when it’s cold out

    2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

  5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    TexNeck's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    Another vote for batteries. Even without the grid heater the truck will start just about like normal. It may run a bit tougher until it warms a bit. The grid heater is designed for Emissions purposes more than anything

    2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com



  7. Likes allbizns liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    DIESELWRKS's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    Since the compression on all cummins takes lots of juice to turn over and you did say the truck clicked when you tried starting. By chance did they check batteries while in the truck or pull them out? If you didn't pull. Check to make sure all terminals are tight not cruddy. Even the slight amount of connection that is not tight can make the clicking sound and no start especially in cold weather. The grid demands alot and may not be getting the full juice. This has been my experience but the clucking came from under the hood if that's where you are getting the click.

    2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    DRD Diet program. Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

    Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

  9. Top Of Page | #6
    Bigmack's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Are you having the batteries tested after your drive it to the auto parts store and after it warms up? If it cranks any other time. But cranks slow or not at all when cold. Its batteries. As far as not jumping off that all depends what you was tryna jump it off with. If its cables they needa be pretty stout as does the vehicle jumping you off. If it's a jump box. Some jump boxes will not put out power unless they sense x amount of voltage. But ide go throw some batteries in it extreme changes in weather kills them.
    It was off a jump box. I can get it to start to if i plug the truck in and let it warm up for a few hours but its not cold enough to need to be plugging it in yet. Yes i am having them test the batteries after i drive to the store so i see your point. Maybe i will try to start it and then pull them out and take them over to get checked with my other vehicle. Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Since the compression on all cummins takes lots of juice to turn over and you did say the truck clicked when you tried starting. By chance did they check batteries while in the truck or pull them out? If you didn't pull. Check to make sure all terminals are tight not cruddy. Even the slight amount of connection that is not tight can make the clicking sound and no start especially in cold weather. The grid demands alot and may not be getting the full juice. This has been my experience but the clucking came from under the hood if that's where you are getting the click.
    Yeah the truck never loses full battery to the point the lights are barely on but you can tell its dying by the time the truck starts when its cold. I'm going to clean the connections up and get the battery checked out when its not in the truck. Thank you.

    - 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l (Sold)
    - 2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 75k miles (R.I.P gone but not forgotten)
    - 2014 Ram 2500 Tradesman 95k miles work truck about to be deleted for the first time
    https://www.instagram.com/mikemackyo/

  10. Top Of Page | #7
    DIESELWRKS's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    Hope it works out soon and easy for ya. Hope it is something simple

    2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    DRD Diet program. Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

    Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

  11. Top Of Page | #8
    wy4x4's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    Replace your batteries. Clean your cable ends.

    Check out the CATERPILLAR 115-2422, it's group 31 so it's slightly taller like 1.75" or so. They are affordable and at your nearest dealer. But they are 1000CCA. They kick out some power. It's all I run anymore for a top post battery.

    https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/115-2422

    Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

    2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

  12. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member RRK's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    I am having the exact same problem
    with my 2014 2500 6.7. To cold days in a
    row went out to start this morning. Same thing happened. charging the batteries now. Did you find out what was happing?? Thanks


  13. Top Of Page | #10
    Doc's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2014 6.7 won't start when its cold.

    Just Had this happen to me this morning, have a charger on the batteries now. waiting to see what happens. any followup from the previous guys who responded?

    If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •