Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 05 with bad turbo

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

05 with bad turbo

OK guys I bought an 05 CCLB 6 speed for cheap, anticipating having to overhaul the engine. The seller said it had horrible blow by out the breather tube. When you cold start it, it runs like crap for a minute or so, smokes terrible, then smooths out and doesn't really run all that bad. I trailed it the 4 hours home. Next day drove it into town about 5 miles from my shop to steam the truck off, it doesn't really seem to run all that terrible when it warms up.

The first thing I pulled off was the air box and tube, and saw the oil in the turbo. I grabbed the shaft and it has more play than any turbo I've ever seen, it's junk. My question is could this be the cause of my major blow by.

I'm wondering if it's worth a shot to try just replacing the turbo and maybe get lucky? The last one of these trucks I did had very similar symptoms, it ended up having broken rings in #6 cylinder.

Also, is the intercooler now full of oil? Best way to clean that?

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 05 with bad turbo

Also somewhat related, has anyone used one of these turbos to eliminate the electronic wastegate solenoid? They are cheap, then you just get the $20 wastegate simulator to plug into the factory harness to cancel the check engine light. I know all the performance turbos are mechanical wastegate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HY35W-T3-Tu...W/401430118717

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sounds like you might just have a leaky injector and not blow by. Send an oil sample into Blackstone for an analysis and stop driving it until you get the analysis back. If you're not getting blow by when the engine is warmed up, then you don't have blow-by. You can do the man o meter test to verify. Your turbo is not going to cause any sort of blow by and I would use gasoline to clean out the CAC.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It is possible for a bad turbo to cause crankcase pressure. It doesn't happen often, but when the bushing fails, pressure from the compressor gets pushed into the turbo drain tube which is connected to the side of the block just above the oil pan.

Most of the 05's have plastic tanks on the end of the intercooler. I wouldn't spend a lot of time or money on it. You can pull them and take it to a radiator shop and have them cleaned. But like I said, if it has plastic tanks I would go through the trouble.

Paul

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    It is possible for a bad turbo to cause crankcase pressure. It doesn't happen often, but when the bushing fails, pressure from the compressor gets pushed into the turbo drain tube which is connected to the side of the block just above the oil pan.

Most of the 05's have plastic tanks on the end of the intercooler. I wouldn't spend a lot of time or money on it. You can pull them and take it to a radiator shop and have them cleaned. But like I said, if it has plastic tanks I would go through the trouble.

Paul
    I don't think his turbo has that. I'm pretty sure that is a 6.7 thing, but I never saw it on my 08 either If it exists, it's a good point. Maybe the C & C is different. I could be wrong, but with all the 59's I worked on, I never saw one.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yeah, it has it. Pressurized oil gets supplied to the top of the turbo center section, and the drain connects to the bottom.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    OK guys I bought an 05 CCLB 6 speed for cheap, anticipating having to overhaul the engine. The seller said it had horrible blow by out the breather tube. When you cold start it, it runs like crap for a minute or so, smokes terrible, then smooths out and doesn't really run all that bad. I trailed it the 4 hours home. Next day drove it into town about 5 miles from my shop to steam the truck off, it doesn't really seem to run all that terrible when it warms up. Maybe it's due for injectors? Rule of thumb is 150K

The first thing I pulled off was the air box and tube, and saw the oil in the turbo. I grabbed the shaft and it has more play than any turbo I've ever seen, it's junk. My question is could this be the cause of my major blow by.

I'm wondering if it's worth a shot to try just replacing the turbo and maybe get lucky? The last one of these trucks I did had very similar symptoms, it ended up having broken rings in #6 cylinder.

Also, is the intercooler now full of oil? Best way to clean that?
    You're going to get some blow by when cold in high mileage. The tolerences in the 5.9 vs. 6.7 were pretty loose. The fact it clears up when it warms up a bit is a good sign.

You sound like a candidate for an archoil fuel system cleaning and a regular regiment of Fuel treatment (6200 summer, 6300 winter) My 03 does what you describe if I don't plug it in. If the spray from the injectors is slightly out of whack, it will smoke more. I only get that gray smoke for a minute and she starts to come around. Any diesel will do that though. If yours takes a while, like 10 or 15 minutes, then you may have worn rings.

The Turbo is another story. If it's that bad, then get it out of there. You could also be getting low boost. BTW, that could also be a reason for heavy smoke. Gray is unburned oil. It may be laying in the intake at shut down and then sucking it in at start up. My suggestion is, clean the injectors and change the turbo for starters.

You didn't mention the mileage. Also how long is it taking to smooth out and quit smoking?

Congrats on the find

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

drain.PNG

It's number 8 in the image.

Paul

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    drain.PNG

It's number 8 in the image.

Paul
    OK That's the lubricating oil return line. I didn't know what you were talking about. Low chance of what you said happening. If anything, the exhaust may be pushing back. The oil pressure is highr than the exhaust and compressor pressures then. That's why the compressor is wet. It's probably going into the exhaust too. I guess it could happen. Looking at it with engineers eyes, and a pretty good mechanic, I's not my first thought. I think it just worn rings. Depending on how well the engine was cared for, dictates the life.

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    OK That's the lubricating oil return line. I didn't know what you were talking about. Low chance of what you said happening. If anything, the exhaust may be pushing back. The oil pressure is highr than the exhaust and compressor pressures then. That's why the compressor is wet. It's probably going into the exhaust too. I guess it could happen. Looking at it with engineers eyes, and a pretty good mechanic, I's not my first thought. I think it just worn rings. Depending on how well the engine was cared for, dictates the life.
    As I said in my first post, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen. There are two "seals" one on the exhaust side and one of the compressor side. There is actually very little pressure in the center where the oil flows, because the return does not have a restriction. If the seal fails on the compressor side, then boost pressure will be forced into the oil section of the turbo and then into the crankcase.

The OP asked if it was possible, and my reply was correct. Do I think it's like that it's the whole problem? No I don't. I was just answering the questions he asked.

Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast