Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 05 with bad turbo

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: 05 with bad turbo

Any cylinder running cooler then any? A compression check is pretty quick not too expensive that will tell you exactly where you stand with each cylinder

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Any cylinder running cooler then any? A compression check is pretty quick not too expensive that will tell you exactly where you stand with each cylinder
    Agreed. i think we agree to First eliminate the obvious and cost effective could be's first. I use cleaning as a diognostic tool. 8 out of 10 wins with that are good odds.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Guys the engine should be out in a few more days. Turbo is headed to turbo labs for rebuild. When I pulled the exhaust manifold, all the ports where dry, so good sign for the piston rings. The pump and injectors will be going down to Industrial Injection to get tested. I will keep you posted once I get it completely torn down.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    Guys the engine should be out in a few more days. Turbo is headed to turbo labs for rebuild. When I pulled the exhaust manifold, all the ports where dry, so good sign for the piston rings. The pump and injectors will be going down to Industrial Injection to get tested. I will keep you posted once I get it completely torn down.
    Are you pulling the engine only because of the smoke?

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins-fan View Post
    Are you pulling the engine only because of the smoke?
    No, but the hard starting is still a mystery. Front crank seal/timing cover, oil pan, rear main or that oring on the bellhousing all leaking. Clutch needs replaced too (still has the oem dual mass I noticed yesterday). Radiator cracked, intercooler full of oil. Might as well yard her out, I'm right there. It's on the ground now, will have this head off this morning. Will post some pics.

This truck has had a rough 250K miles . Here is a shot of her before tear down. It's the "Atlantic blue".

05_pbj_1.jpg

2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

6. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Hard starting is commonly injectors. If those injectors have 250k miles them, then just replace them and don't even waste money on getting them tested.

7. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins-fan View Post
    Hard starting is commonly injectors. If those injectors have 250k miles them, then just replace them and don't even waste money on getting them tested.
    The previous owner "replaced them a year or to ago". And they do look fairly clean when I pulled them. But he could be yanking my chain. So I will have them tested along with the CP3.

8. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Well my suspicions where correct! But it's even worse then I thought. Broken rings on 3 pistons! Cylinders 1, 5 and 6. There are some nice ridges on those cylinder walls, not sure it's going to clear .040. And I don't really want to run 3 repair sleeves in one engine. Not sure what I'm going to do. Guess we will wait and see what the machine shop finds.

05_rings.jpg

9. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

There's that 2 out of 10 on me

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

05_loaded.jpg

Headed to the machine shop in the morning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast