Thread: 06 5.9L fresh rebuild breakin

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

06 5.9L fresh rebuild breakin

What's everyone recommend on how to break in freshly rebuilt 5.9 engine

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 06 5.9L fresh rebuild breakin

I would say to let it idle for about 5 minutes after initial start up and spend this time looking for any major leaks and getting the coolant and antifreeze levels topped off.

If all seems well go for a drive and vary RPM and engine load constantly. No WOT runs for a few hundred miles. Do not let it idle for long periods of time.

The idea here is to get a load on the engine to help the piston rings break in quickly and fully.

I would stick to non synthetic oil for break in and for the first 3000 or so miles.
    I'd fire it up and go for the first drive and then immediately change the engine oil and filter.
    I would then drive about 1000 miles and then change the oil and filter again.
    Then at 3000 miles just go ahead and run whatever oil you plan to use for the long haul and treat it like any other engine.

This is just how I would do it. Not saying its gospel.

3. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: 06 5.9L fresh rebuild breakin

Quote Originally Posted by rboiter View Post
    What's everyone recommend on how to break in freshly rebuilt 5.9 engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    I would say to let it idle for about 5 minutes after initial start up and spend this time looking for any major leaks and getting the coolant and antifreeze levels topped off.

If all seems well go for a drive and vary RPM and engine load constantly. No WOT runs for a few hundred miles. Do not let it idle for long periods of time.

The idea here is to get a load on the engine to help the piston rings break in quickly and fully.

I would stick to non synthetic oil for break in and for the first 3000 or so miles.
    I'd fire it up and go for the first drive and then immediately change the engine oil and filter.
    I would then drive about 1000 miles and then change the oil and filter again.
    Then at 3000 miles just go ahead and run whatever oil you plan to use for the long haul and treat it like any other engine.

This is just how I would do it. Not saying its gospel.
    Excellent! Good job. Pretty close to what I would do on a 5.9

May I add, find a strong maginet (2 is better) put one on the oil pan right at the drain and the other on your filter. Remove the oil pan one before draining. Pan first

Here's a cheap trick for maginets. If you have an old hard drive, steal them out of that. Strong little suckers. The discs make nice irrors. LOL No you can't read the data

Your first change is the most critical. No matter how good you are, there's always a tiny bit of crap from maching and cleaning the block. That and initial wear is the first 500 to 1K. The magnest catch allot and the filters catch more.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Likes Aj Grubb liked this post