Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 2007 Ford F750, 6 speed manual, 6.7 Cummins,24,000 miles,running bad, barely got home

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

2007 Ford F750, 6 speed manual, 6.7 Cummins,24,000 miles,running bad, barely got home

Hello all, maybe someone can steer me in the right direction...

i bought this this rig (from a national rental company) a couple days ago and had a 200 miles drive back home. I jump in and start making my drive and about 10 miles into my journey the truck starts bucking on acceleration , as if it’s starving for fuel, could not get over 50 mph. I take it back to the selling company’s yard and they ordered a fuel filter. Their guy did the change out with me watching. The old filter did mot seem bad as he used the fuel in it to fill the new filter, but it’s is hard to tell sometimes. He also took off the little pre filter and it looked a bit dirty and he cleaned it out, it looked to be a serviceable, small inline filter.
    I take off again and it runs great...for about an hour then it starts acting up again, same problem. By being extremely light on the throttle and going maxim 50 MPH (35 going up hill) I finally make it home 6 hours later.
    My question, I suspect it has a bunch if trash in the fuel tank or maybe a bad injector pump ? I am going to drain the tank today and look at the fuel real close and look in the tank. If the fuel is OK would a bad pump cause this problem you think? or?

thank you for any input or suggestions !
    rob

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: 2007 Ford F750, 6 speed manual, 6.7 Cummins,24,000 miles,running bad, barely got

Best way to determine if its the pump is getting the pressure after the pump. But if it ran somewhat good after the filter change, I'd bet it's debris in the fuel tank. Rentals tend to get used more by those who don't know or care and tend to be abused.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: 2007 Ford F750, 6 speed manual, 6.7 Cummins,24,000 miles,running bad, barely got

Just drained 40 gallons of diesel, doesn’t look all that bad. Going to change the filters again. Got a ck engine light on, is this system OBD 1 or 2 ? How do you reset the light ?

Thanks again!

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

that should be obd2 I would drop the tank, clean it, and back blow the lines with the filter change. The check, and monitor fuel pressures, both at the IP and ad the rail.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Neither F750 has the 9 pin duetche or the 6 pin duetche plug.

If you are using a scanner you will need to have the medium to heavy duty truck applications which is an extra 5500 if you do not have it already regular OBD two will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Wich did your truck have 9 or 6 pin? Completely different voltage to those plugs than OBD2. But if it has a tuner on it that could help clear codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

If changing the filters helped for a while it is pretty much definitely a fuel supply issue. You almost have to have crud in the tank that is stopping up the filters. Otherwise changing the filters should not have provided a temporary fix. Most of the medium duty trucks like that have aluminum fuel tanks with drain plugs in the bottom. I would start by totally draining the fuel tank and flushing it with clean fuel. Then back flow the fuel lines with air pressure. Install new filters and put new fuel in the tank and test drive. If it still is not right then you need to see what the fuel pressure is at the common rail. Its possible that the CP3 has been damaged by lack of lubrication.

10. Likes Power247 liked this post