MM3 Power

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleting and Emissions Testing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Deleting and Emissions Testing

I live in one of the lucky handfuls of counties in WI that does biannual emissions testing. I'm due for a test in February and I'm going to be deleting shortly after so no worries for another 2 years but should I expect any issues with the inspection down the road? They don't do a visual here, just a plug into the OBD port to make sure everything is working as intended.

From the WI DMV website

Inspection Elements

• Check Engine Light Bulb Test
      The inspector will perform a test to ensure that the vehicle's check engine light is functioning properly. This is accomplished by turning the ignition key to the on position without starting the engine (KOEO) and looking for the check engine light while the vehicle is running (KOER). The vehicle would fail either portion of the inspection if the check engine light does not illuminate.

• Communications
      The inspector will connect the testing equipment to the vehicle's onboard computer port (Diagnostic Link Connector). If the vehicle cannot communicate with the testing equipment, the vehicle will be rejected from further testing until this condition is corrected.

• Readiness Monitors
      If the communication is established with the vehicle computer, then the OBD test can proceed unless unset readiness monitors exceed the testing requirements. For the 1996 - 2000 model year vehicles, a vehicle can have up to 2 readiness monitors unset; for 2001 and newer vehicles, only 1 readiness monitor can be unset. If the unset readiness monitors exceed the requirements, the vehicle will be rejected from further testing until this condition is corrected.

• Check Engine Light Commanded On
      If the vehicle's check engine light is commanded on due to an emission component that is not functioning properly, then the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) are recorded and provided to the motorist. The vehicle will fail this portion of the inspection if the check engine light is commanded on. The vehicle will need to be repaired and brought back for a reinspection.

Will inspection be as simple as unplugging the tuner so they can run their check? Is reinstalling the emissions crap and reverting back to stock tune an option? Registering at a heavier weight is an option, i think 15k+ is exempt. It is $150 more per year but that's worth not having to reinstall then re-delete every other year.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Here to protect and serve! watersupply189's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Deleting and Emissions Testing

If your exempt with a 15K + tag, then I would definitely pay the $150 extra charge. If you decide not to go that route then you will have to put everything back on and program your truck back to stock. To much of a headache if you ask me. Lol

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, 35W HID fog lights,35W HID headlights, Lund Attitude Step Bars Sprayed Line-X, Window Vent Visors from EGR, LED Cargo, tag and backup lights, Windows Tinted, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50 18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/ Dark Tint, A.R.E. topper, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
    Past- 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Lone-Star Eco Diesel

4. Likes walla2k5, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mseitz24 View Post
    I live in one of the lucky handfuls of counties in WI that does biannual emissions testing. I'm due for a test in February and I'm going to be deleting shortly after so no worries for another 2 years but should I expect any issues with the inspection down the road? They don't do a visual here, just a plug into the OBD port to make sure everything is working as intended.

From the WI DMV website

Inspection Elements

• Check Engine Light Bulb Test
      The inspector will perform a test to ensure that the vehicle's check engine light is functioning properly. This is accomplished by turning the ignition key to the on position without starting the engine (KOEO) and looking for the check engine light while the vehicle is running (KOER). The vehicle would fail either portion of the inspection if the check engine light does not illuminate.

• Communications
      The inspector will connect the testing equipment to the vehicle's onboard computer port (Diagnostic Link Connector). If the vehicle cannot communicate with the testing equipment, the vehicle will be rejected from further testing until this condition is corrected.

• Readiness Monitors
      If the communication is established with the vehicle computer, then the OBD test can proceed unless unset readiness monitors exceed the testing requirements. For the 1996 - 2000 model year vehicles, a vehicle can have up to 2 readiness monitors unset; for 2001 and newer vehicles, only 1 readiness monitor can be unset. If the unset readiness monitors exceed the requirements, the vehicle will be rejected from further testing until this condition is corrected.

• Check Engine Light Commanded On
      If the vehicle's check engine light is commanded on due to an emission component that is not functioning properly, then the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) are recorded and provided to the motorist. The vehicle will fail this portion of the inspection if the check engine light is commanded on. The vehicle will need to be repaired and brought back for a reinspection.

Will inspection be as simple as unplugging the tuner so they can run their check? Is reinstalling the emissions crap and reverting back to stock tune an option? Registering at a heavier weight is an option, i think 15k+ is exempt. It is $150 more per year but that's worth not having to reinstall then re-delete every other year.
    I would assume this $150 only applies to the GVWR of the vehicle being inspected and your pickup wouldn't qualify. But, I've been wrong before.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts, ARP Head Studs, Valair Quiet Dual Disc Clutch, 2" Level, Hell Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Thuren track bar, Air-Lift 5000, Falken 285/75-17 AT3W.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    I would assume this $150 only applies to the GVWR of the vehicle being inspected and your pickup wouldn't qualify. But, I've been wrong before.
    I think he was talking about the tag weight if I’m reading this correctly? Like you have said I’ve been wrong before also. Lol

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, 35W HID fog lights,35W HID headlights, Lund Attitude Step Bars Sprayed Line-X, Window Vent Visors from EGR, LED Cargo, tag and backup lights, Windows Tinted, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50 18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/ Dark Tint, A.R.E. topper, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I think he was talking about the tag weight if I’m reading this correctly? Like you have said I’ve been wrong before also. Lol

Right, I was only referencing some experiences I had with Washington State laws (been a quite few years ago) when I tried licensing one of my pickups to a higher GVWR. I tried this to increase the legal height of my bumpers, it was a no go. But hey, everywhere is different and things may have changed here also. I'm glad the East side of our state doesn't have testing.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts, ARP Head Studs, Valair Quiet Dual Disc Clutch, 2" Level, Hell Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Thuren track bar, Air-Lift 5000, Falken 285/75-17 AT3W.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    Right, I was only referencing some experiences I had with Washington State laws (been a quite few years ago) when I tried licensing one of my pickups to a higher GVWR. I tried this to increase the legal height of my bumpers, it was a no go. But hey, everywhere is different and things may have changed here also. I'm glad the East side of our state doesn't have testing.
    Yeah it seems every state has some differences between them. It’s all a money making scheme everywhere. Lol

12. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

I have to do the every single year where I live.

And yes, everything has to go back on and expect to have to drive between 400-1000 miles in varied conditions to set 8 of the 9 monitors.

There are things you can do to make your life easier.

If you have any questions PM me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, Yamahamod liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smartdave View Post
    I have to do the every single year where I live.

And yes, everything has to go back on and expect to have to drive between 400-1000 miles in varied conditions to set 8 of the 9 monitors.

There are things you can do to make your life easier.

If you have any questions PM me

Dang, my hat’s off to you guys for wanting to go the extra mile to be able to have the freedom to run your truck the way you choose. I’m too lazy for all that, I’d probably just run sock or move somewhere else. I know many folks can’t move for professional or family reasons but I’m luckier than most in that respect.

Just curios, has anyone ever heard of someone who can write a custom tune that can fool these monitors? Is that even possible? You could then gut out your DPF and block off your EGR and the truck would appear stock in all respects.

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73

16. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

Not possible

18. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Well Ive never done it but I think you pick a weight to register at which is your expected max gross weight. Not sure if some kind of inspection or validation is involved in that or if they just take your money and say have a nice day. I was really hoping since the tuning doesn't throw any codes i'd be good to go but I may need to look into this some more. Worst case scenario at least it's only every other year till its old enough to be exempt.

20. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast