Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad batteries?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Bad batteries?

I think I am onto something but would like some input!

I have had issues with my radio intermittently cutting audio off and not working. Truck warming up then it kicking on.

A couple days ago threw CEL P226C - deleted code and it has not returned for 400 miles or so

today my switch bank with stability, tow, exhaust brake would not work. (Below air controls)

MM3 max volts for rides have been 14.7-14.9- cruising voltage about 14.2

i know these trucks are finiky with electrical. Am I potentially losing a battery?

Suggestions for best brand? I replaced one last winter which I believe wasn’t too far after the dealer I bought it from replaced the other

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Bad batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    I think I am onto something but would like some input!

I have had issues with my radio intermittently cutting audio off and not working. Truck warming up then it kicking on.

A couple days ago threw CEL P226C - deleted code and it has not returned for 400 miles or so

today my switch bank with stability, tow, exhaust brake would not work. (Below air controls)

MM3 max volts for rides have been 14.7-14.9- cruising voltage about 14.2

i know these trucks are finiky with electrical. Am I potentially losing a battery?

Suggestions for best brand? I replaced one last winter which I believe wasn’t too far after the dealer I bought it from replaced the other
    You're in Texas. I suggest the Optimum battery. They'll last a long time and can withstand the heat your Summers offer. I got 15 years out of one in my car.

I've said this a 100 times. It takes 20 minutes of running to completely recharge the dual batteries. I did the testing on my 08 years ago. Optimum take about 5 minutes longer. Keep that in mind.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It's definitely your batteries. I had the same exact issue with my 06. Replaced the batteries, problem solved. It took me a while to figure it out, even blew the bulbs on my factor radio.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. Likes AnOldBiker, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You're in Texas. I suggest the Optimum battery. They'll last a long time and can withstand the heat your Summers offer. I got 15 years out of one in my car.

I've said this a 100 times. It takes 20 minutes of running to completely recharge the dual batteries. I did the testing on my 08 years ago. Optimum take about 5 minutes longer. Keep that in mind.

I am guessing these are different than Optima gel batteries? Where would I find them?

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I am guessing these are different than Optima gel batteries? Where would I find them?
    OOPs! That's the one. My cable TV is Optimum. They're not in good standing around here.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

OOPs! That's the one. My cable TV is Optimum. They're not in good standing around here.

I’m not sure of any that stay in good standing!

i actually looked into these right off hand and entered year make and model on their website but it says there are no matches for our trucks? Also read they were bought out a few years back and quality has been thrown out the window?

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I’m not sure of any that stay in good standing!

i actually looked into these right off hand and entered year make and model on their website but it says there are no matches for our trucks? Also read they were bought out a few years back and quality has been thrown out the window?
    I hadn't heard that. I had two in my truck 6 years ago when I got it. They weren't working out so I put them on my trailer. (24' car hauler) They didn't work well in the winter because my driving was too short. They never got charged. I put in a pair of lead acids I got from Carquest and a float charger. I just plug it in all the time in the winter. I'm thinking of making something to split the heater off when it's not really needed. Now instead of 11 volts on cold starts, it 11.7. Amazing the difference in that lousy 7/10 of a volt. The friction modifier helps tremendously too.

I was going to buy these. But couldn't afford them. Even with the megabucks I spend there

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I hadn't heard that. I had two in my truck 6 years ago when I got it. They weren't working out so I put them on my trailer. (24' car hauler) They didn't work well in the winter because my driving was too short. They never got charged. I put in a pair of lead acids I got from Carquest and a float charger. I just plug it in all the time in the winter. I'm thinking of making something to split the heater off when it's not really needed. Now instead of 11 volts on cold starts, it 11.7. Amazing the difference in that lousy 7/10 of a volt. The friction modifier helps tremendously too.

I was going to buy these. But couldn't afford them. Even with the megabucks I spend there

I replaced with interstate batteries...I bought these before testing my others. On the way to the store I noticed my voltage would spike once accelerating/initial moving after a stop. 15v was the max spike on this short trip

i had them test the batteries which were 750 cca - 1 tested 980cca and the other 1100cca- I was told they were great batteries and should keep them

am I off in thinking that they should not be that far over the cca rating?

i haven’t driven too much but been heavy footed and not seen above 14.5v with new batteries. Interstate does 30months free replacement and 6 year total prorated for their warranty

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I replaced with interstate batteries...I bought these before testing my others. On the way to the store I noticed my voltage would spike once accelerating/initial moving after a stop. 15v was the max spike on this short trip

i had them test the batteries which were 750 cca - 1 tested 980cca and the other 1100cca- I was told they were great batteries and should keep them

am I off in thinking that they should not be that far over the cca rating?

i haven’t driven too much but been heavy footed and not seen above 14.5v with new batteries. Interstate does 30months free replacement and 6 year total prorated for their warranty
    If I were you, I'd take care of those batteries. . . . Interstate tends to under rate. They may have a commercial application and rate the same battery.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

The only other things I can offer besides replacing your batteries, check all your grounds to the truck and make sure they are good, clean and tight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast