Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
Hello, I’m a newmember and don’t want to bust on you, may want to consider moving this to an appropriate area since this was posted in the Fuel system. This may help another member searching down the road.

You said that all things pointed to your wheel bearing. Can I ask how that was determined and could you describe the sound you are hearing for us. I don’t believe anyone had asked that and it wasn’t explained. Is the sound at a certain speed only. Is it when you are driving straight. Or more so when you put some turn in thewheel. Is it more aggressive when you are slower and turning sharper into a drive way. Is the sound more metallic sounding, is the sound cyclic? As in like spinning. Do you by chance feel anything in the steering wheel, on your bottom of your feet through a pedal or through the floor when your foot is flat?

So you though it was a wheel bearing , replaced with a new one. Found a bolt missing. ( was there ever any repairs in past on this side)? Because of the missing bolt.

IMO experience with my past solid axle trucks, when an axle u-joint was going bad or already death bad.
Slow speeds with slight to major turns the axel joint side/area would make pops, scraps, growls. How load or aggressive usually depended on how bad, things were. Usually there are some visual signs if we look close enough. Turn the wheel any direction. Look around the joint ends/cups/seats. Look for major rust, Maybe a water rust stain,or red rusted grease that has come out of the seals. But the outer body itself of the joint it may have some light to moderate rust and that would not be any issue. This can be due to the material of the joint and area you live. the inside is whatcounts.
Sometime you can jack the wheel and slowly spin it and feelthe joint go tighter (bind) then relaxed. If any has poor hearing you can hear this sound a little better with a rubber hose and use it as a stethoscope. I have always replaced mine with ones I can grease. Then I knew what grease was in them and how much. I would usually try and remove as much of the grease they came with and put in my own prior to install and then top off after install. Then check after some miles.

Anyway sorry about all the questions. But maybe we and whoever see’s this thread can take something from it for down the road.

Oh and the other thing for some of you that want to make things last longer without a lot of rust on the underside. This is safe for all things under there except the exhaust. Fluid film. Its good stuff have been using if for a longtime. I also will use this when I have to press in the rubber
Sleeves in the shock eyelets. It’s good for door weather strips too.
Very good. However, my impression is he replaced it saying a bolt was missing. That's why I didn't address it. I AM concerned about the missing bolt though