Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Severe Timing Knock?

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Basic Member Controlled_Pair253's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Severe Timing Knock?

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    I don't know yet. I have not tried switching power levels. I guess if it disappears when I switch power levels I can be sure I don't have a mechanical problem.
    True. It may be the actuator not releasing completely when the brake is applied, but I highly doubt it, but anything is a possibility. You are at such low miles. It is a very rough "lopey" idle, almost like it's being starved for air. I may be wrong here, and will need a more inclined mechanic to chime in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I can't put it back to stock, the ECM wouldn't like that too much considering some useless components are missing.
    Yeah I figured. All you'll have is a bunch of codes. For right now, I want to see if the problem goes away. @Controlled_Pair253 is thinking like i am. Chances are that is not a DRD tune then. Ray can fix you up, but we need to isolate the issue. Reloading is only going to solve anything.

Knowing the MM3, it's a good idea to check your batteries. The tune may be OK but you just said you don't drive that much every day. I live that every day now since I retired. It takes TWENTY MINUTES to recharge thise dual batteries after 1 start. I have a 2 amp float charger on now. The bats are ususally up to 100% in 12 hours. MM3's don't like low voltage. The truck is 3 years old Average life for Factory Batturdays

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I'm pretty confident that I don't have a battery issue. I don't remember saying I don't drive much?

I live over 30 minutes from work one way. This truck virtually never gets short tripped, batteries always have plenty of time for alt to charge them.

Battery voltage during the video was 14.2 ish.

Issue disappears as soon as I turn off the exhaust brake, that shouldn't effect battery voltage.

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Also I have 3/4 tank of fresh diesel from local high volume station in busy city. Running archoil winter fuel additive as well. The AR6300

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Also I have 3/4 tank of fresh diesel from local high volume station in busy city. Running archoil winter fuel additive as well. The AR6300
    I answered so many people tonight, i may have confused you with someone else

If you're on th 6300, you don't need the 6200. The 6200 is blended in the 6300.

The battery voltage matters at a cold start. Even with the charger at optimum, I read 11.3 volts with the heater. That is allowable. When I had a bad Batt earlier this year, I was falling to 10.5. The MM3 didn't like that. When you go out tomorrow, turn the key on and not the voltage. If the heater is not running, you should be around 12.5. If it's lower, get the batts checked. Even though I have an 03, it should read the same. Close enough. Unfortunately, I don't remember how my 08 responded

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

BTW it's 1:42 AM. Say good night Gracie

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

HA! Your retired and I work second shift.... we got all night!
    Thanks for the help. I got er plugged in, if the grid heater doesn't cycle we will she what it reads in the AM

11. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Honestly, my 10 had more issues with bad batteries than anything else. My volts were dipping to 12 from a typical 14.5 and that's when I bought new ones. I haven't had the electrical bugs come back since I went with new batts. Now it's a new clutch I need...cant win for loosing.

13. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Update on situation....

Truck was plugged in all night.
    Ambient temp was 40*f this morning.
    Battery voltage with key off and no heater grid was 12.5v

Reloaded the software using the MM3, took the usual several minutes.
    Once tunes were all re loaded I set the power level to the 30hp no sound modifier tune.
    Fired the truck up and put the exhaust brake on automatic like usual and activated high idle using the cruise control.

Truck sounds fine! No timing knock whatsoever!

Unfortunately I'm still not exactly sure what was causing the problem because I changed 3 variables.
    1. Ambient temp was warmer by 10*f
    2. Re-wrote PCM
    3. Changed power level from 60hp to 30hp.

Good news is that I do not appear to have any kind of mechanical issue.
    I'll keep you all up to date if anything changes in case you are interested.

15. Likes Controlled_Pair253, walla2k5 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Update on situation....

Truck was plugged in all night.
    Ambient temp was 40*f this morning.
    Battery voltage with key off and no heater grid was 12.5v

Reloaded the software using the MM3, took the usual several minutes.
    Once tunes were all re loaded I set the power level to the 30hp no sound modifier tune.
    Fired the truck up and put the exhaust brake on automatic like usual and activated high idle using the cruise control.

Truck sounds fine! No timing knock whatsoever!

Unfortunately I'm still not exactly sure what was causing the problem because I changed 3 variables.
    1. Ambient temp was warmer by 10*f
    2. Re-wrote PCM
    3. Changed power level from 60hp to 30hp.

Good news is that I do not appear to have any kind of mechanical issue.
    I'll keep you all up to date if anything changes in case you are interested.
    Just for giggles, put it on the 60 and see if it comes back. Im leaning towards your batteries going out too. Or seems sd though 12.5 should be good, however i was in the same boat with my batteries being that voltage avs ward having all sorts of issues coming from the FIPM.

17. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast