Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Re-gear

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DIY Re-gear

I did a lot of searching and reading on the subject of re-gearing. I know that I will need to re gear to 4.11 from the factory 3.42 in order to run 37's. My question is has anyone done the swap themselves. I am 6-7 on a scale out of 10 when it comes to mechanical inclination. I know my way around an engine no problem, but I have never messed with drivetrain( I have changed out my fair share of manual clutches). Would I be in over my head, or do you thing I could tackle it. I am trying to save on cost. Thank in advance

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Fully Build 68RFE by BD Diesel
    SXE 64.5 fixed vane turbo
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

2. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DIY Re-gear

Quote Originally Posted by bajaben View Post
    I did a lot of searching and reading on the subject of re-gearing. I know that I will need to re gear to 4.11 from the factory 3.42 in order to run 37's. My question is has anyone done the swap themselves. I am 6-7 on a scale out of 10 when it comes to mechanical inclination. I know my way around an engine no problem, but I have never messed with drivetrain( I have changed out my fair share of manual clutches). Would I be in over my head, or do you thing I could tackle it. I am trying to save on cost. Thank in advance

The AAM isn't that difficult. Some special tools should be used. You may want to consider a smaller tire though. Yeah they look cool, but at what price.

Mechanically it's straight forward. pull the axles, cover, and 4 bolts and the carrier will drop out. However! You need to set the depth of the new pinion. That's an SOB if you don't have the depth tool. The pinion has to be just right. It's a shim setup so it could take several rounds even with the tool. If it's not right, the rear will howl or possibly break teeth. I mean that sucker will scream! If you're successful with that, you need to set the lash. Again you need a special holder for the dial indicator. Magnets don't make it. The holder tool alone is 67 bucks. I made one on my lath in 1/2 an hour.

I've converted 2 trucks from 373 to 342. I must be the only idiot running 342's with 285's on an 03. 29 MPG Bring it on! Ta

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes bajaben, watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    The AAM isn't that difficult. Some special tools should be used. You may want to consider a smaller tire though. Yeah they look cool, but at what price.

Mechanically it's straight forward. pull the axles, cover, and 4 bolts and the carrier will drop out. However! You need to set the depth of the new pinion. That's an SOB if you don't have the depth tool. The pinion has to be just right. It's a shim setup so it could take several rounds even with the tool. If it's not right, the rear will howl or possibly break teeth. I mean that sucker will scream! If you're successful with that, you need to set the lash. Again you need a special holder for the dial indicator. Magnets don't make it. The holder tool alone is 67 bucks. I made one on my lath in 1/2 an hour.

I've converted 2 trucks from 373 to 342. I must be the only idiot running 342's with 285's on an 03. 29 MPG Bring it on! Ta

Mr. Steve has done just about everything and has forgotten more knowledge then i could ever dream of having haha. He knows lots of tips and tricks and what not to do's on just about everything.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Polaraco, AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Mr. Steve has done just about everything and has forgotten more knowledge then i could ever dream of having haha. He knows lots of tips and tricks and what not to do's on just about everything.
    Money works better. LOL

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Money works better. LOL

LOL!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

He has the answers. your 2014 is AAM, just like @Polaraco 's 03.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thank you for the replies. I looked at getting the tools needed for doing the job and if I bought all of them plus all the gear oil, it's almost at the point of diminishing returns. I am better off having a pro do it, that way I know it will be done right and I have a "warranty" to fall back on if it dose go wrong. Again thanks for the Advice

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bajaben View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I looked at getting the tools needed for doing the job and if I bought all of them plus all the gear oil, it's almost at the point of diminishing returns. I am better off having a pro do it, that way I know it will be done right and I have a "warranty" to fall back on if it dose go wrong. Again thanks for the Advice

OK I wasn't trying to be the grim reaper. Figured you go to smaller tires or lose a body part getting it done. You might want to explore slightly larger ratios though. Check out Justdifferentials.com. The dealer is probably your best bet. It's mandatory for them to have the tools. Maybe you can return the ones you bought, i made a couple that worked perfectly

16. Likes watersupply189, bajaben liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

OK I wasn't trying to be the grim reaper. Figured you go to smaller tires or lose a body part getting it done. You might want to explore slightly larger ratios though. Check out Justdifferentials.com. The dealer is probably your best bet. It's mandatory for them to have the tools. Maybe you can return the ones you bought, i made a couple that worked perfectly
    I haven't bought anything just yet. I am just doing my homework before I pull the trigger on this build.

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

18. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Regearing is an art for sure. And requires a whole lot of patience. I've done a few on my own vehicles. It's something not a whole lot of techs will touch because its gotta be just right or it will howl. You can do it without all the dials and whatnot and just use the white grease they give. To check the wear pattern then make the needed adjustments. But if you do do it your self be prepared to take it apart press the bearings back off change out shims and reinstall a half dozen times before its right. LOL. Before taking it on your self. I would check with a few offroad shops and see what they would charge.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

20. Likes bajaben, watersupply189, Polaraco liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast