Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Re-gear

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: DIY Re-gear

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Regearing is an art for sure. And requires a whole lot of patience. I've done a few on my own vehicles. It's something not a whole lot of techs will touch because its gotta be just right or it will howl. You can do it without all the dials and whatnot and just use the white grease they give. To check the wear pattern then make the needed adjustments. But if you do do it your self be prepared to take it apart press the bearings back off change out shims and reinstall a half dozen times before its right. LOL. Before taking it on your self. I would check with a few offroad shops and see what they would charge.
    Definitely have been getting quotes from a few shops around here. What I saw on a few videos, was to use the old bearings as "set up bearings " that you use to to get the back lash set. You just have to hollow out the set up up bearings so they have a tight fit on the new pinion but not so tight that it needs a press.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Fully Build 68RFE by BD Diesel
    SXE 64.5 fixed vane turbo
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

That should work pretty good. It can definately be done as a DIY. It's really the perfect job for someone with a bunch of patience and who's a perfectionist. If it wasnt for the adjustments that need to be made it would be a cake walk LOL. Most gear sets will come with a little tub of grease. And a set of pictures you use as a comparison. To see how the gears mesh and what it needs to look like. Being that you've never done it before. I would start with the front diff since its not as crucial as the rear. Get some practice for the rear snf then if you decide your in over your head you can still drive the truck haha

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

4. Thanks CoBronc79 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    That should work pretty good. It can definately be done as a DIY. It's really the perfect job for someone with a bunch of patience and who's a perfectionist. If it wasnt for the adjustments that need to be made it would be a cake walk LOL. Most gear sets will come with a little tub of grease. And a set of pictures you use as a comparison. To see how the gears mesh and what it needs to look like. Being that you've never done it before. I would start with the front diff since its not as crucial as the rear. Get some practice for the rear snf then if you decide your in over your head you can still drive the truck haha
    That is a really good plan. Didn't think about it that way. I could get to the "oh crap" phase and just drop the front drive shaft and take it to a shop.
    I did find a really good shop here in Alaska. I am ge6some parts from them and then I will probably get them to do the gears for me.

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

6. Likes Dwelsh, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bajaben View Post
    Definitely have been getting quotes from a few shops around here. What I saw on a few videos, was to use the old bearings as "set up bearings " that you use to to get the back lash set. You just have to hollow out the set up up bearings so they have a tight fit on the new pinion but not so tight that it needs a press.

Hah I did just that! That's how I set the depth on mine. I can mail you the bearing. . . I can also send you the shaft and a dial indicator. You'll need to get your own adjuster tool. I'm reluctant to let that go. LOL Just pay the shipping. . . There you go! The mounting tool for the dial I made hastely on my lathe. Lots of marker paste

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes bajaben, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Hah I did just that! That's how I set the depth on mine. I can mail you the bearing. . . I can also send you the shaft and a dial indicator. You'll need to get your own adjuster tool. I'm reluctant to let that go. LOL Just pay the shipping. . . There you go! The mounting tool for the dial I made hastely on my lathe. Lots of marker paste
    Wow, that is very generous of you. Thank you, but I am just going to let this local shop in Anchorage do the work. They have helped me out a lot with getting some parts and taking the time to a lot of questions. I really like to help out local businesses that take the time to help me out.

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Wow, that is very generous of you. Thank you, but I am just going to let this local shop in Anchorage do the work. They have helped me out a lot with getting some parts and taking the time to a lot of questions. I really like to help out local businesses that take the time to help me out.

That's what we're all about! Besides. I have 2 friends up near you, Veto and Guido if you don't sned the stuff back LOL

I'm not using them, probably will never use them again. My truck is near leaving me, which means I am not on the forum anymore. I don't think a Tuscon applies here

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes watersupply189, bajaben liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

So I finally got the truck re-geared, a couple of days ago. I know I am in the "break in period ", but I am getting some humming from the front diff that I wasn't getting befor. Now on the install instructions that came with the kit, it said that there may be some noise for the first 500 miles. Has anyone had any experience with this before?
    Nitro gears with master instal kit, done by a local shop.

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

So I finally got the truck re-geared, a couple of days ago. I know I am in the "break in period ", but I am getting some humming from the front diff that I wasn't getting befor. Now on the install instructions that came with the kit, it said that there may be some noise for the first 500 miles. Has anyone had any experience with this before?
    Nitro gears with master instal kit, done by a local shop.

I think the best answer here would come from @Polaraco He has forgotten more than most of us know

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

16. Likes watersupply189, Dwelsh liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

So I have done quite a bit of research and I am 98% sure why I am getting the whining noise from my front diff. I only get it while costing or on deceleration. What this means is that my pinion preload is loose. I need to tighten it up. If it's to loose then the pinion bearings are "sloping" around in the new bearing races. This could be because it's a new install and things just need to tighten up. I am going to give it a try tomorrow and see what happens. Just a little at a time. Over tightening would be way worse. I will let you know what happens.

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12