Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G56 dual disc clutch comparison

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

G56 dual disc clutch comparison

Greetings all,

I have a 2018 G56 truck, and my stock clutch is beginning to slip in higher gears. I am looking into upgrading, and would appreciate insight if anyone has any.

I have tuning by Ray, I run the +30HP tune all the time. Towing is pretty limited, only ever hitting ~9-10K, and only 5-6 times per year. I live in Maryland, with a daily round-trip commute of approximately 90 miles, often in fairly heavy rush hour traffic between Baltimore and Annapolis. I don't plan on cranking up the tuner significantly or doing injectors or turbo, but I would definitely like to be able to downshift to 5th and put my foot down without slipping...

I am trying to decide between the Valair dual disc organic (NMU70G56DDSN-ORG or QG56DDSN-ORG) and the South Bend street dual disc organic (SDD3250-GK-ORG). I have seen a decent number of posts where people say they have one or the other, and that it's a great clutch. I have no doubt that both are quality-built. What I am most interested in hearing is if anyone has driven BOTH manufacturers' products, and can give me a comparative opinion between the two.

I see that Valair's has a decently higher pressure plate load - does one have significantly heavier pedal pressure or longer pedal travel for engagement? I know that either one will be significantly louder than stock, due to gear rollover, but how is the floater plate noise? I see that Valair has a "quiet" option for about $200 more than the non-quiet version, do I really care?

Thanks in advance for any information on the subject!

2018 Ram 3500 Big Horn CCLB SRW with G56. 4" stainless downpipe back, no muffler. MM3 and tuning by Ray.

2. Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: G56 dual disc clutch comparison

Valair or Soundbend make great clutches.

Can't beat either one.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have a quiet Valair and I'm very happy with it, pedal is about like stock. Standard Valair is obnoxiously loud, put one in my buddy's pickup a few months ago, he wishes he had the quiet version now. Sorry, never used South Bend but know some folks that swear by them.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

6. Thanks zkaufman thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Close your eyes and put your finger on one. Both great clutches.
    Personally I run a South Bend SDD3250-GK (The organic/ceramic one) and have no complaints

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

8. Thanks zkaufman thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zkaufman View Post
    Greetings all,

I have a 2018 G56 truck, and my stock clutch is beginning to slip in higher gears. I am looking into upgrading, and would appreciate insight if anyone has any.

I have tuning by Ray, I run the +30HP tune all the time. Towing is pretty limited, only ever hitting ~9-10K, and only 5-6 times per year. I live in Maryland, with a daily round-trip commute of approximately 90 miles, often in fairly heavy rush hour traffic between Baltimore and Annapolis. I don't plan on cranking up the tuner significantly or doing injectors or turbo, but I would definitely like to be able to downshift to 5th and put my foot down without slipping...

I am trying to decide between the Valair dual disc organic (NMU70G56DDSN-ORG or QG56DDSN-ORG) and the South Bend street dual disc organic (SDD3250-GK-ORG). I have seen a decent number of posts where people say they have one or the other, and that it's a great clutch. I have no doubt that both are quality-built. What I am most interested in hearing is if anyone has driven BOTH manufacturers' products, and can give me a comparative opinion between the two.

I see that Valair's has a decently higher pressure plate load - does one have significantly heavier pedal pressure or longer pedal travel for engagement? I know that either one will be significantly louder than stock, due to gear rollover, but how is the floater plate noise? I see that Valair has a "quiet" option for about $200 more than the non-quiet version, do I really care?

Valair is our choice of clutch. We utilize them in all G56 trucks and they have been great!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks zkaufman thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member Controlled_Pair253's Avatar

User Info Menu

Greetings all,

I have a southbend. I dont know how many miles are on it, but I have the same issue as you. I just purchased a phoenix friction clutch stage 4. I called and spent 20 minutes on the phone and the technical expertise, and customer care was remarkable. I was thoroughly impressed. I'm having the clutch installed in a couple weeks, so only time will tell. Just saying that there are other clutch mfgs that are available and worth looking at. They are also currently on sale. I saved some coin, and had an excellent experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. Thanks zkaufman thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I have right about 24k miles on my truck, and I feel that I've been relative easy on that stock clutch. No burnouts or launches, I don't get on it hard unless it's to pass or speed up on an on-ramp to merge into traffic. With how quickly this stock clutch has gotten to this point, I wanted to go with a dual disc for the replacement, hoping I'll at least make it to 100k before having to put another new one in.

I did see Phoenix in my early search for clutches, but like I said, I had pretty much had my mind set on a dual disc. I had also never heard any customer feedback on Phoenix clutches at all, whether good or bad. I already pulled the trigger on a Valair, but I definitely look forward to hearing about your experience with the Phoenix when you get it installed and have some miles on it. If I end up needing a third clutch significantly sooner than I expect, I'll definitely consider the Phoenix next time around. Thanks!

2018 Ram 3500 Big Horn CCLB SRW with G56. 4" stainless downpipe back, no muffler. MM3 and tuning by Ray.

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member Controlled_Pair253's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have right about 24k miles on my truck, and I feel that I've been relative easy on that stock clutch. No burnouts or launches, I don't get on it hard unless it's to pass or speed up on an on-ramp to merge into traffic. With how quickly this stock clutch has gotten to this point, I wanted to go with a dual disc for the replacement, hoping I'll at least make it to 100k before having to put another new one in.

I did see Phoenix in my early search for clutches, but like I said, I had pretty much had my mind set on a dual disc. I had also never heard any customer feedback on Phoenix clutches at all, whether good or bad. I already pulled the trigger on a Valair, but I definitely look forward to hearing about your experience with the Phoenix when you get it installed and have some miles on it. If I end up needing a third clutch significantly sooner than I expect, I'll definitely consider the Phoenix next time around. Thanks!
    To each his own. Phoenix friction does clutches for fed ex, UPS, and wonderbread. I know these are commercial applications however with 30 years of background in clutch building, and design, they sold me on their light duty truck offerings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    I have a quiet Valair and I'm very happy with it, pedal is about like stock. Standard Valair is obnoxiously loud, put one in my buddy's pickup a few months ago, he wishes he had the quiet version now. Sorry, never used South Bend but know some folks that swear by them.

Does your clutch not fully engage till the top? Mine starts down low like it should per the instructions but doesn’t fully lock till the top 1” or so of the pedal

2018 RAM 2500 G56 Trans

18. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ram6724v View Post
    Does your clutch not fully engage till the top? Mine starts down low like it should per the instructions but doesn’t fully lock till the top 1” or so of the pedal

Yes, I've played around adjusting it in and out and that's how mine acts also. The spring hub ceramic dd is either engaged or not. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium, but it holds tight.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

20. Likes Spencer175 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast