Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  76
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance, Oil change?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Maintenance, Oil change?

On the 2010, the filter change is actually not bad at all...when Ram changed the frame with the long arm setup, that’s when it got difficult. If you had a 13+, I’d definitely say get a remote kit but you’ll see that the 2010 is not bad at all.

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    On the 2010, the filter change is actually not bad at all...when Ram changed the frame with the long arm setup, that’s when it got difficult. If you had a 13+, I’d definitely say get a remote kit but you’ll see that the 2010 is not bad at all.

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD
    Yeah you are right about that. But you still dumped oil on a change. Just like the 5.9. I'm too clean and lazy to reach in there.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Mines a 10. And filter is awsome never spill a drop . Droppin the oil plug is a mess. Gonna look into a valve to install seems the fomoto is what everybody likes so far

Sent from 2010 white 6.7 6sp manual qaud 4x4 swb

6. Likes theaaronbush, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Yeah you are right about that. But you still dumped oil on a change. Just like the 5.9. I'm too clean and lazy to reach in there.
    They should come from the factory in a remote location!

8. Likes 4kids2dogs&RV, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I always believed the engineers who design the engines should be made to work on them. Then there might be changes to the better. They must turn there vehicles in for service only.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

They should come from the factory in a remote location!

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I always believed the engineers who design the engines should be made to work on them. Then there might be changes to the better. They must turn there vehicles in for service only.
    AMEN! On both counts. You notice I seem to re-engineer the trucks when I get them. It's rare for me to have a mod failure too, short of parts just wearing out.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    AMEN! On both counts. You notice I seem to re-engineer the trucks when I get them. It's rare for me to have a mod failure too, short of parts just wearing out.
    I know I’ve told you this before but you’re a very rare engineer these days! Common sense doesn’t seem to be In existence any more to the up and coming guys. The engineers that I work around in the refinery would blow your mind!

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I know I’ve told you this before but you’re a very rare engineer these days! Common sense doesn’t seem to be In existence any more to the up and coming guys. The engineers that I work around in the refinery would blow your mind!

Thank you for the compliment.

They were there when I was a Pup too. Including the Proffs. Off subject but funny story from 40 years ago. Back in my college days, I was a garden slug in theory. I stunk in math mostly. I understood electronic components, but then couldn't desigh a simple circuit. But the real nuts and bolts stuff, metallurgy, volts, watts, amps, stuff like that, I blew the rest of the classes away.

Back in the day, My calc Proff also doubled in my practical courses. He passed me in math because he said I was brilliant, but couldn't add 2+2. After i graduated, not with honors, 48 out of 200, he became the facilities manager. I was with Cutler Hammer then, my first real job after Vietnam. Our office got a call from Professor Parthy looking to apply 1 VFD on 2- 150 HP Motors for HVAC. When my boss handed me the lead, I begged to have someone else go. LOL He was the best boss I ever had, but he told me to go, and i did. Long story, short, I told Parthy he can't do it, but he insisted. I had a legal doc drawn up relieving us if any damage resulted. Around 50K later, (1973) I went in to start up the system. The drive lasted lass than 30 seconds. You could hear it making R2D2 noises. LOL In that time he kept saying SEE? See? with a smug smile. After the fire was put out, I just looked at him and said See? See?

I wish I was paid for all the stuff I designed that was widely used. I used to encounter engineers you describe allth e time. Imagine a short fat guy nose to nose with a PHD telling him he was wrong. More than once, , , ,

They're among us

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

@Polaraco ... I've had a remote oil filter system on a car before and was happy with it. But the one problem that came up a couple times was the unit head that screwed fit where the main filter was, had an 'O'ring for a seal and it leak over time and had to be replaced a couple times, also was a mess. Does yours have an 'O'ring or flat style gasket for the seal ?

After the 1st ring leaked, I verified the material was for hot oil, for oil service, used gasket grease for a good seal, proper torque of the plate to filter surface, no burs or metal defects on the plates ... and still it leaked over time. Plate mating surface couldn't take a flat gasket for a proper seal. (I tried store bought and homemade).

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

17. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Polaraco liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post

I wanted to verify this before I opened my big mouth. The company I retired from has been, for the last 35 years, have the new engineers do 6 months for their probation period doing the normal work. Then once they know what their requirements and duties are, they are assigned to 6 different units for the next year, woking with the operators on their rotating shifts, doing engineering duties for that unit. Those assigned to the maintenance department does the same. In field duty hands on experiences. When the year is over, they go back to the engineering group for assignment. They are well past the college text book knowledge only and have a good hands on practicable personal experience and are a way better well rounded engineer. Thus work time and material cost dropped, safety was improved and the fight between company and employees dropped to almost nil. Education is great, but hands on experience is as important.

Jim

19. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast