Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  87
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cold surging?

1. Top Of Page | #71

User Info Menu

Re: Cold surging?

Ok just read this entire thread. I have a 2018 2500 crew, I’ve had it for a little over a year, all stock, drd emission tuning, 55,000 miles and my truck does the exact same thing. It doesn’t really feel like it’s geting close to dying but it surges until trans gets over 90deg and the engine gets to 100deg +\- and it only seems to do it when ambient temps are mid 40s and below, mostly in the morning when I leave for work.

Ive got to take my truck to the dealer one day next week for a recall. I’m going to set mine back to stock a few days before I take it to the dealer and see if I get the same behavior. If I do I’ll tell the dealer to fix it. What do you guys think? Bad battery(s) on such a new truck?

2018 2500, 6.7 Cummins, black, stock drive train, Carli 2.5 leveling kit, 18x9 Method Nv wheels, Cooper AT3 XLT, 68RFE, DRD delete tuning

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #72

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by niteghost View Post
    Ok just read this entire thread. I have a 2018 2500 crew, I’ve had it for a little over a year, all stock, drd emission tuning, 55,000 miles and my truck does the exact same thing. It doesn’t really feel like it’s geting close to dying but it surges until trans gets over 90deg and the engine gets to 100deg +\- and it only seems to do it when ambient temps are mid 40s and below, mostly in the morning when I leave for work.

Ive got to take my truck to the dealer one day next week for a recall. I’m going to set mine back to stock a few days before I take it to the dealer and see if I get the same behavior. If I do I’ll tell the dealer to fix it. What do you guys think? Bad battery(s) on such a new truck?

When end you say surging are the rpms fluctuating? Any idea what rail pressure is?

the grid heater is cycling at that temp so the truck does feel a bit different until it is warmed up to 160*

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #73

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    When end you say surging are the rpms fluctuating? Any idea what rail pressure is?

the grid heater is cycling at that temp so the truck does feel a bit different until it is warmed up to 160*
    Yes the rpm’s are surging in sync with the seat of my pants. This happens only when the trans and motor are cold in the mornings and I’m very easy on the throttle until I get temp into everything and the surging stops, I keep it below 1500 rpm until everything is warmed up. I haven’t monitored rail pressure wile it’s doing this but I will next time. I have monitored the input shafts speed’s and TCC wile it’s doing this and neither of them sync up with the surging which I think eliminates the trans for me. I wasn’t aware that the grid heater cycles for that long, that pushes me towards battery - voltage issue. I’m very curious to set mine back to stock calibration to see if I still have the problem.

2018 2500, 6.7 Cummins, black, stock drive train, Carli 2.5 leveling kit, 18x9 Method Nv wheels, Cooper AT3 XLT, 68RFE, DRD delete tuning

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #74

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by niteghost View Post
    Yes the rpm’s are surging in sync with the seat of my pants. This happens only when the trans and motor are cold in the mornings and I’m very easy on the throttle until I get temp into everything and the surging stops, I keep it below 1500 rpm until everything is warmed up. I haven’t monitored rail pressure wile it’s doing this but I will next time. I have monitored the input shafts speed’s and TCC wile it’s doing this and neither of them sync up with the surging which I think eliminates the trans for me. I wasn’t aware that the grid heater cycles for that long, that pushes me towards battery - voltage issue. I’m very curious to set mine back to stock calibration to see if I still have the problem.
    You can check your voltage with MM3 which is good- the tough thing with that is that is only part of it. Low voltage is obvious but CCA is what the motor pulls to run correct. Your voltage may look good but the amperage could be down. The battery is only a year old but you have been driving the truck (which is great) so it does have some use.

If your RP is all over the place then that a different road to go down..overall like you said it is very unlikely it is the tuning.

Keep us posted

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #75

User Info Menu

I monitor my rail pressure constantly and it doesn’t even remotely suggest it’s the cause or related to the issue. This is a lock up sensor issue. There is a potentiometer that functions with the lockup sensor and is temperature sensitive. Suggesting a bad lockup sensor. When the truck is put back to stock does the problem go away? That’s the question. Maybe we need new transmission tuning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #76

User Info Menu

Been reading your thread my experience advise when ever having weird issues remove tuner or load stock tuning. Obviously your going to have check engine lights but you only doing for quick test. These trucks maybe the same but they all have different personalities. What runs good in 1 truck does not guarantee run the same in another. I personally had 3 different tuning company tuning mm3 and EFI.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

12. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    I monitor my rail pressure constantly and it doesn’t even remotely suggest it’s the cause or related to the issue. This is a lock up sensor issue. There is a potentiometer that functions with the lockup sensor and is temperature sensitive. Suggesting a bad lockup sensor. When the truck is put back to stock does the problem go away? That’s the question. Maybe we need new transmission tuning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ll set it back to stock one day this week, I’ll let you know if it’s still there.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678