Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: How to easily defeat the dreaded EGR plenum 15mm front nut..

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

How to easily defeat the dreaded EGR plenum 15mm front nut..

In going over directions, videos and advise on how to set your truck up for an off road delete, one common theme is the difficulty in trying to get the dreaded 15mm nut off the EGR plenum forcing everyone to remove the EGR cooler first. I had not seen a simple solution posted before. (Note: someone may have but I have not seen it posted)

Well, I have done it an all you need is a stubby 15mm box wrench. If you have a ratcheting, it makes it even simpler.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks BrentM, Jon thanked for this post
    Likes Skywrench, BrentM, Power247, Jon, NavyVet95 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: How to easily defeat the dreaded EGR plenum 15mm front nut..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_RG View Post
    In going over directions, videos and advise on how to set your truck up for an off road delete, one common theme is the difficulty in trying to get the dreaded 15mm nut off the EGR plenum forcing everyone to remove the EGR cooler first. I had not seen a simple solution posted before. (Note: someone may have but I have not seen it posted)

Well, I have done it an all you need is a stubby 15mm box wrench. If you have a ratcheting, it makes it even simpler.

Thatd work pretty good. I was telling my buddy how much of a b that nut was. Cuz I remembered it from my last truck I did with limited tools with me. And I just used a flex head 15 mm wrench and went in from behind and didnt have any issues at all.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

4. Thanks Eric_RG thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, NavyVet95 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Cool beans! That was why I didn't want to take credit for something I had hoped others had figured out. Sadly most of how to do a proper delete is tribal knowledge passed by forums, videos and word of mouth.

I lost my best friend last year who was the be all when it comes to diesels and we both have the same trucks... He did his and we were going to do mine together this year. I am scouring as much data as I can and while things are going well, it's these little gems that I want to make sure we get captured to help.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Absolutely man. But it's good to put out all the ideas and ways people get it done. Cuz Not everyone has the same tools handy ya know?. A swivel socket is really the best way to get em. But it's also something not everyone has. Sorry to hear about your friend man. And honestly your way. If someone has a 15 mm wrench but not a stubby ratcheting. and they see this while they are doing it. They can cut their wrench to make it work.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

7. Thanks Eric_RG thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Awesome tips!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

9. Top Of Page | #6

I always thought it was the rear nuts that were the real pain in the a$$? I have never touched them so I wasn’t sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smartdave View Post
    I always thought it was the rear nuts that were the real pain in the a$$? I have never touched them so I wasn’t sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Those are actually very easy. There is plenty of room to get a socket back there and work them off. I was worried about that as well, till I stuck my hands back there and it was like... oh this works. Now, I will say that the nut on the drivers side in the back requires you to have fingers that can pull the nut off once loose. Knowing this I used an old trick and stuck some electrical tape inside my socket to the sticky side was towards the nut. This way you can use the extension with the socket and the nut stays inside.

11. Thanks smartdave thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_RG View Post
    Those are actually very easy. There is plenty of room to get a socket back there and work them off. I was worried about that as well, till I stuck my hands back there and it was like... oh this works. Now, I will say that the nut on the drivers side in the back requires you to have fingers that can pull the nut off once loose. Knowing this I used an old trick and stuck some electrical tape inside my socket to the sticky side was towards the nut. This way you can use the extension with the socket and the nut stays inside.
    Great tips thanks for sharing I will say if your really gonna be working on your own trucks you have to have all the right tools to be able to do it with the least amount of problems is the solution

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs