Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Is this normal Steering link movement?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Is this normal Steering link movement?

Having a clunk feeling in the steering wheel and can also feel it in the brake pedal when coming to an almost complete stop. Cant feel any of this on the hwy. My balljoints,swaybar and trackbar are all good. Went under the truck and found the tie/drag link have the capability to roll forward and back. Does anyone know if this is normal? Also brake calipers are easily moved side to side. Not sure if its the calipers or steering components. Youtube Video for reference, thanks.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Is this normal Steering link movement?

The steering joints rolling is what you want. It's basically a ball inside the joint. And as far as the calipers being able to slide is also a good thing. The way to check for loose suspension components. And jack it up. Put a jack stand under the axle. Shake the wheel side to side and up and down. Side to side would be steering components. Up and down would check for loose wheel bearings and sometimes will show a loose balljoint. To check the ball joints take a long pry bar or something of the sort. Put it under the tire and lift it pushing up on the wheel. That will show movement in the balljoints. Minimal movement is fine since there is a spec for allowable movement. With balljoints anyways. Figured ide tell you since there is alot of technicians that dont even know how to check suspension LOL. Not saying it is normal. But sometimes I feel what your describing when turning. I just havent had it bother me enough to try to figure it out.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

3. Likes walla2k5, Polaraco, Power247 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I will say however. That steering stabilizer may be something to check. It's basically a shock mounted sideways. And sometimes when shocks wear out. They can make a knocking type noise. And will kinda feel lumpy when compressing and decompressing by hand.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

5. Likes walla2k5, Power247 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    I will say however. That steering stabilizer may be something to check. It's basically a shock mounted sideways. And sometimes when shocks wear out. They can make a knocking type noise. And will kinda feel lumpy when compressing and decompressing by hand.
    Dwelsh, Thanks for all the info. Just wasnt sure if the roll of the steering linkage was normal. I have EMf balljoints and a BD trackbar, they are pretty good (dont move). Taking a long drive to Colorado from Houston,TX this month and I'm prepping the truck in all the ways as she has 230k miles on her. I guess the whole big wheel, big tire and bug lift combination will always have something clicking somewhere.

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Dwelsh, Thanks for all the info. Just wasnt sure if the roll of the steering linkage was normal. I have EMf balljoints and a BD trackbar, they are pretty good (dont move). Taking a long drive to Colorado from Houston,TX this month and I'm prepping the truck in all the ways as she has 230k miles on her. I guess the whole big wheel, big tire and bug lift combination will always have something clicking somewhere.
    LOL absolutely man. I would have to agree with ya there. Could also be a front u joint if you havent checked those.

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You might check the frame around the steering box for cracks too.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You might check the frame around the steering box for cracks too.
    That's a scary thought.

2018 2500, 6.7 Cummins, black, stock drive train, Carli 2.5 leveling kit, 18x9 Method Nv wheels, Cooper AT3 XLT, 68RFE, DRD delete tuning

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

You have a pre radius arm truck. How do your contacts joints on your upper and lower control arms sound. To get them to move jack up a side and inspect. Does the feeling happen only if your truck is pointed straight? Does it do the same if you are turned all the way and then slow to a stop. I'm new to a 4th gen. Are the brakes brake booster steering pump set up with a vacuum pump? Like the 2nd gens etc. Since this is a potential brake and steering issue?

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.