Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Wrinkle/chip behind badge

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Paint Wrinkle/chip behind badge

Hey yall

my free mod is going to end up costing me (ugh) maybe- I was removing badges on door - when removing drivers side it looks like image attached- any decent way to fix this? My neighbor who works at a shop recommended shooting the entire door and front fender for best results...I may end up just chip sticking the area and re applying the logo since it would be covered...yes I need to wash my truck as well I know 30DC5EDB-CAE9-409F-A318-B9A2398F29CB.jpg

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Paint Wrinkle/chip behind badge

Man! That's the worst I've seen and the main reason I haven't debadged yet.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Hindsight was likely my bad. I used fishing line on the tailgate and it worked like a charm. I was on the phone and just started pulling a bit and it started to come off so I continued....I am thinking that the fishing line would have prevented this some. On the outer hand the adhesive behind these was not the black like on the tailgate so maybe they had been glued back on before I bought it

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Man! That's the worst I've seen and the main reason I haven't debadged yet.

Greg

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

That's what I was afraid of when I did mine. Esp since my right front fender has been painted. But dang man that sucks.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

The best, quickest and less destructive was to remove the badge is with the fishing line, then grab the corner of the left over glue pad and pull at a 45 degree angle from the flat surface. I did my entire truck that way and was completed in less than an hour for the entire truck. I've been looking at the paint and it seems to be non fixable from the picture. I believe your friend is right and you'll need to have it shot again. Was the door repaired before you got it ? I've never seen the emblem glue pad any other color than black on all the years trucks before. Sorry, but that paint looks beyond simple repair.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You are 100% correct- my back badge came off with this method.

The truck has a clean car fax and was certified pre owned so no door damage I am aware of.

I am thinking maybe they fell off or were removed before. The adhesive was a yellowish film (drippy looking). Almost like super glue or something.

I have used my chip stick on the bare spots and will be getting 3M tape to reapply the badge and cover the spots back up...nothing is easy

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    The best, quickest and less destructive was to remove the badge is with the fishing line, then grab the corner of the left over glue pad and pull at a 45 degree angle from the flat surface. I did my entire truck that way and was completed in less than an hour for the entire truck. I've been looking at the paint and it seems to be non fixable from the picture. I believe your friend is right and you'll need to have it shot again. Was the door repaired before you got it ? I've never seen the emblem glue pad any other color than black on all the years trucks before. Sorry, but that paint looks beyond simple repair.

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Got some quality 3M double sided adhesive and it worked like a charm. Made a little template for reference. Looks factory to me! Time will tell how the tape holds but it looks like what was on my tailgate emblem once removed.

lesson learned- don’t pry off the badges!

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Looks good man.

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

That yellow glue may be what caused the paint to bubble. It is not normal to see that on the back side of the emblem.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    That yellow glue may be what caused the paint to bubble. It is not normal to see that on the back side of the emblem.

That’s what I was thinking- maybe they cane off and they used super glue or something. I am down in TX- not sure if heat for 5 years would make the adhesive seep out of the backing. Clean up was easy though- not much of the black padding came off or was left on the truck

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast