Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Best Product to Use to Prevent Gelling and to Treat Gelling of Diesel

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Best Product to Use to Prevent Gelling and to Treat Gelling of Diesel

I have a 1990 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel, she runs like the day my Dad brought her home brand new in 1990, this ia my first winter of having her since my Dad's passing, and I have been doing research as to how to keep her going for another 30 years, But I am clueless about which product RE THE BEST TO USE TO PREVENT GELLING HERE IN UPSTATE ny AND AM CONCERNED THAT THE TANK MAY ALREADY BE CLOUDING AFTER THE SEVERE COLD WE HAD LAST WEEK .. wHAT WOULD BE BEST TO USE TO TREAT A CLOUDY TANK, AND WOULD IT BE SAFE to add both kinds at the same time in case some gelling has started already? Thank you for any help offered!! I have so many questions I wish I could ask my dad now that the responsibility of this trucks maintenance falls on me, I have driven her since I Was 16 but never had to take responsibility for her and I love this truck, I am a bit disappointed in myself that I forgot about the Diesel gelling in cold weather! I hould have already treated the tank I am sure..

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Best Product to Use to Prevent Gelling and to Treat Gelling of Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaRachel79 View Post
    I have a 1990 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel, she runs like the day my Dad brought her home brand new in 1990, this ia my first winter of having her since my Dad's passing, and I have been doing research as to how to keep her going for another 30 years, But I am clueless about which product RE THE BEST TO USE TO PREVENT GELLING HERE IN UPSTATE ny AND AM CONCERNED THAT THE TANK MAY ALREADY BE CLOUDING AFTER THE SEVERE COLD WE HAD LAST WEEK .. wHAT WOULD BE BEST TO USE TO TREAT A CLOUDY TANK, AND WOULD IT BE SAFE to add both kinds at the same time in case some gelling has started already? Thank you for any help offered!! I have so many questions I wish I could ask my dad now that the responsibility of this trucks maintenance falls on me, I have driven her since I Was 16 but never had to take responsibility for her and I love this truck, I am a bit disappointed in myself that I forgot about the Diesel gelling in cold weather! I hould have already treated the tank I am sure..
    You may find the answers you're looking for here, there are a few good options.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...hlight=archoil

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Not really an issue in NYS as the manufacturers add anti-gel to fuel this time of year.

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It is -1 here as I am typing this, I don't rely on the winterized diesel, but it helps of course.

howes.jpg Works OK - and its cheap

sdfa.jpg
    What I use

Biggest thing to keep that ol 12 valve going is give her clean air (stick to the factory air intake/filter) and good clean oil with OEM/WIX filter.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The best product I've used for my Cummins and the big rigs I used to drive is Howe's Lubricating Oil. It doesn't take much of it to treat a tank full. A jug is good for 750 gallons. We have blended fuel that's good to -30 at the stations here but if it's going to be colder I dump some Howe's in with it to be on the safe side.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I always use Diesel kleen’s products. Seems to work well in the frozen tundra of northern New Hampshire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have a friend in upstate ny and he buys power service winter from wallys world. says he never has a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead78 View Post
    The best product I've used for my Cummins and the big rigs I used to drive is Howe's Lubricating Oil. It doesn't take much of it to treat a tank full. A jug is good for 750 gallons. We have blended fuel that's good to -30 at the stations here but if it's going to be colder I dump some Howe's in with it to be on the safe side.

I see this is your 1st post @Jarhead78 ..

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

My dad put a warmer on his

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

i used power service, was in maine for 2 winters with mine this last one i dont think ive started my truck in the morning without it being single digits or negative since early december. just did a filter change a week ago and inspected the bowl, zero geling. stuff doesnt last long though 16oz to 50 gallons