Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Nozzles or Injectors

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Nozzles or Injectors

I’ve recently read a few things about doing nozzles instead of injectors. I have a 2014 with 26k miles. Im eventually doing a compound set up and i know i need to update my fuel side of things when the time comes. I was wondering if i can get away with just doing nozzles instead of injectors. That would save me about $3k if i went that route. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Erik

2. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Nozzles or Injectors

Quote Originally Posted by HallenFE View Post
    I’ve recently read a few things about doing nozzles instead of injectors. I have a 2014 with 26k miles. Im eventually doing a compound set up and i know i need to update my fuel side of things when the time comes. I was wondering if i can get away with just doing nozzles instead of injectors. That would save me about $3k if i went that route. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Erik
    Yes you can, but there are a few drawbacks. The injectors will not be calibrated so the engine may run uneven. You need to work super clean when doing this and well organized with the right tools. I suggest you talk to Tim at Accurate Diesel or Clayton @Dude's Diesel Performance . Accurate has the equipment, and has the injectors you are looking for. All he does is fuel systems. Maybe you can send the stuff to Tim and he can do them for you.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Would you mind explaining to me whats up hard about it if you know? I watched a few videos on it and it looked pretty simple to me. I would take my time as this is a step you don't want to screw up. I noticed in some of the videos that the puck in the injector is something you don't want to loose or mix up. It looks like if you do it one by one it should be straight forward. Im just wondering if there is something I'm missing.

5. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HallenFE View Post
    Would you mind explaining to me whats up hard about it if you know? I watched a few videos on it and it looked pretty simple to me. I would take my time as this is a step you don't want to screw up. I noticed in some of the videos that the puck in the injector is something you don't want to loose or mix up. It looks like if you do it one by one it should be straight forward. Im just wondering if there is something I'm missing.
    I did not say don't do it or you couldn't do it, I just Implied there are risks. The biggest one is just what you talked about. I don't know your mechanics level so I kept it neutral. However, the balance part is something that gets done to all injectors in the factory environment, Which Tim and Claytons supplier provides. There are other things too. You have worn parts that will progress and eventually that injector would need to be replaced. Sometimes, they just don't work again. There's allot more to consider than what a video is telling you. Granted, I understand the desire to save money. Hell who doesn't want to save money? I'll rebuild a 48 RE before I swap tips. Although I have opened a few up successfully

I have to laugh at people that bought the cheapest rebuilt injectors and had to send them back a couple of times until they got 6 that all worked together. Those are the shops that do what you are talking abot and hope for the best. In the diesel world, you do it right the first time. As simple as diesels are, they are very unforgiving. There's no such thing as skimping

Don't take me wrong. . . . These guys will tell you I forgot more than many knew. Very rarely do I have a failed repair. Just the old coot teaching a lesson in practicality and being the devils advocate

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Thanks watersupply189, HallenFE thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I had 28K on my truck when we did a lot of my performance work.

I too wondered the same question about nozzles or injectors.

I decided to do the 200 hp nozzles that I bought from Fleece. I had help with my install from a great friend that has done many builds.

We were indeed very careful, cleaned the injectors thoroughly, worked in a very clean environment and took great care to make the exchange.

I am very happy with what we achieved and the injectors are performing flawlessly.

If it comes time to replace my injectors I will simply replace them next time around but with so little mileage on the ones in my current build, it just seemed more reasonable to simply do the nozzles this time around.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

9. Likes timshooter40, watersupply189 liked this post