Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  50
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need an oil change

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: I need an oil change

Just saw a sale flyer from Napa, Valvoline Premium Blue Full Synthetic 5w40 is on sale until Dec 31st for $19.99 / gallon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

2. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    How many miles do yall go on yalls oil changes?

Don't go by me, since I walk a different path.
    I change filters every 5k, bypass filter every 10k, and change oil when my oil sample comes back near the the outer limits.
    Got almost 50k on it now and still within permitted oil perimeters per the reports.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Don't go by me, since I walk a different path.
    I change filters every 5k, bypass filter every 10k, and change oil when my oil sample comes back near the the outer limits.
    Got almost 50k on it now and still within permitted oil perimeters per the reports.
    Goooood lord. LOL. So 50k miles on the same oil minus what you top off when you change the filters? What kinda oil you running that long?

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

5. Likes walla2k5, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Rotella T6

In the old days they use to have oil bypass filters on most all trucks. Today the owners have to install themselves. And the filters are way better. I have my bypass unit and my filters for the bypass is the 2 micron Amsoil. My main filter is by Donaldson and is rated at 15 micron. Most filters for the Cummins is rated around 30 microns.

Warning: ONLY do something like this with a professional oil sample company .. I use BlackStone Lab out of Fort Wayne, IN. ( Cost is $35 per sample) You must use a lab or you could end up with a screwed up engine. I've known people with near 100k before changing oil.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Rotella T6

In the old days they use to have oil bypass filters on most all trucks. Today the owners have to install themselves. And the filters are way better. I have my bypass unit and my filters for the bypass is the 2 micron Amsoil. My main filter is by Donaldson and is rated at 15 micron. Most filters for the Cummins is rated around 30 microns.

Warning: ONLY do something like this with a professional oil sample company .. I use BlackStone Lab out of Fort Wayne, IN. ( Cost is $35 per sample) You must use a lab or you could end up with a screwed up engine. I've known people with near 100k before changing oil.
    reminds me of my days as a light wheel mechanic in the Army. We used to take oil samples from the HMMWVs and send it in to get tested. Saved the Army some money i guess.....LOL

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I retired from an oil refinery and we tested everything all the time. In house lab. Saved millions each year. Changed oil only when needed.

Jim

10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Just ordered rotella t6 and a Donaldson blue filter on Amazon. 76 bucks and some change.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Napa has Rotella T6 at $20.99 a gallon. Comes with a $7 mail-in rebate too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

12. Likes Paidkiller10 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Every time I looked at Wally World, T6 was $19.95.

Jim

14. Top Of Page | #20

I am in the northeast and run Rotella T4 late spring-late fall. Then T6 in the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast