Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05 cummins 6spd. Turbo swap

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

05 cummins 6spd. Turbo swap

Hello all I've got a 05 cummins at nearly 300000 miles with the factory turbo. When I start it the first time during the day when I first get on it I can hear a high pitch squeal like metal on metal it's good the rest of the day even if I shut it off for a few hours after. I already know the turbo has a bit of play and I've eliminated pretty much everything else. So I want to swap turbos. I have no idea what turbo to put on. I was hoping someone can give a few suggestions on a good turbo to replace this one so I can see what good options are out there and get these options priced to see what options are most cost effective vs performance. I'm not trying to built a super truck, but I could like a slight performance upgrade. Longevity is more important to me. I do tow occasionally. I've already got the valair dd organic in it from ddp.

Also, I remembered this picture of an employee we used to work. Figured I'd share. The guy could wrestle a grizzly bear.

2016 ram 2500 hd slt mega-cab cummins g-56 (metallic gray pearlcoat or something of the sort) deleted and custom tuned by Ray (the king) @ doublerdiesel on mm3 platform with 5" turbo back exhaust by flo-pro & DD valair organic clutch
    looking for 30,000 gpm injectors @ a fair price btw LOL

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 05 cummins 6spd. Turbo swap

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2078 View Post
    Hello all I've got a 05 cummins at nearly 300000 miles with the factory turbo. When I start it the first time during the day when I first get on it I can hear a high pitch squeal like metal on metal it's good the rest of the day even if I shut it off for a few hours after. I already know the turbo has a bit of play and I've eliminated pretty much everything else. So I want to swap turbos. I have no idea what turbo to put on. I was hoping someone can give a few suggestions on a good turbo to replace this one so I can see what good options are out there and get these options priced to see what options are most cost effective vs performance. I'm not trying to built a super truck, but I could like a slight performance upgrade. Longevity is more important to me. I do tow occasionally. I've already got the valair dd organic in it from ddp.

also I remembered this picture of a employee we used to work. Figured I'd share. The guy could wrestle a grizzly bearhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...923847c94e.jpg

2016 ram 2500 hd slt mega-cab cummins g-56 (metallic gray pearlcoat or something of the sort) deleted and custom tuned by Ray (the king) @ doublerdiesel on mm3 platform with 5" turbo back exhaust by flo-pro & DD valair organic clutch
    Either that's a really small door or that dude is a monster. Goood ness.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2078 View Post

also I remembered this picture of a employee we used to work. Figured I'd share. The guy could wrestle a grizzly bearhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...923847c94e.jpg

First off that guy is a beast LOL. I had a friend who was 6ft 8 and he had to duck on almost everything so he naturally walked hunced over LOL! He was a big ol northern maine guy. Dude was awesome though and one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Ill shoot you a pm and go over some options with ya on a turbo.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks Badger2078 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Either that's a really small door or that dude is a monster. Goood ness.
    The door was full height but only about 30 wide

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The stock turbo is really the best for what you're looking for. Do you have any tuning?

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins-fan View Post
    The stock turbo is really the best for what you're looking for. Do you have any tuning?
    It has the edge cts2. It sucks. Compared to mm3 d.r.d. But i usualy run it stock. I want to do a G56 conversion in the future. Last month of nv5600 that's why I want wanting to push it too hard. Also why I went with the ats Aurora 3000. I've only heard good things about them however not much. But I'll know first hand soon

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Anyone know of the difficulty of a G56 swap?

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

If you would have gotten mm3 vs a different turbo, you'd gain far more with the tuning. I personally wouldn't have gone with the 3000, an SXE would be a better choice. But then again you won't get the full potential from either turbo when you use a box tuner.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

If you would have gotten mm3 vs a different turbo, you'd gain far more with the tuning. I personally wouldn't have gone with the 3000, an SXE would be a better choice. But then again you won't get the full potential from either turbo when you use a box tuner.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Are you sure the turbo is bad? You may just be experiencing an exhaust manifold leak. Look closely for soot around the manifold to cylinder head seal. Its not uncommon for those to leak when the engine is cold. Once you get some heat in it the manifold and everything expands and seals back up.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast