Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: 2011 F-650 service utility truck has a Cummins ISB 6.7 240 and no start?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2011 F-650 service utility truck has a Cummins ISB 6.7 240 and no start?

trucks a 2011 f-650 utility truck,, will not start,, Engine ser # is 73177479 and is a ISB6.7 240. Seems like while cranking it will build 5-6000lbs rail pressure and fuel pump actuator is open. turns and showing rpm and signals from engine position sensors,, power to the Actuator ect??? Plenty of fuel but just don't seem to be building enough pressure to injectors??? Any ideas would be great!! My emails a5cos@aol.com

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2011 F-650 service utility truck has a Cummins ISB 6.7 240 and no start?

Quote Originally Posted by 1290pine View Post
    trucks a 2011 f-650 utility truck,, will not start,, Engine ser # is 73177479 and is a ISB6.7 240. Seems like while cranking it will build 5-6000lbs rail pressure and fuel pump actuator is open. turns and showing rpm and signals from engine position sensors,, power to the Actuator ect??? Plenty of fuel but just don't seem to be building enough pressure to injectors??? Any ideas would be great!! My emails a5cos@aol.com
    Welcome to the forum friend.
    I’ve been having a similar problem on a Freightliner M2 chassis with the same motor. I thought at first it was low voltage in the batteries which turned out two of them where bad so I replaced all three with new and finally started after cranking for a bit but the next day it just turns over and over. My mechanic disconnected the solenoid that went to the intake heater thinking that the wiring maybe breaking down and it fired right up but after about 30 minutes running it died and wouldn’t start. Tomorrow he is gonna look at the fuel pump to see what pressure it has and also mentioned it could be an oil pressure issue and look into that too.
    I’m sure somebody on here has been there done that with this engine and will chime in.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

hope so, this things driving me crazy!

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Ok found the fuel heavily contaminated with what appears to be water,, drained fuel tank and cleaned tank, put in new fuel and two new filters,,still no start. It will shake while turning over like its getting a little fuel to a cylinder then if you crack common rail injection line it just turns with no kick---tighten line and it returnes… This thing again had a heavily contaminated fuel source...we are getting all signals with insight,,,the rail pressure according to it is spiking from 5600-13000??

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1290pine View Post
    Ok found the fuel heavily contaminated with what appears to be water,, drained fuel tank and cleaned tank, put in new fuel and two new filters,,still no start. It will shake while turning over like its getting a little fuel to a cylinder then if you crack common rail injection line it just turns with no kick---tighten line and it returnes… This thing again had a heavily contaminated fuel source...we are getting all signals with insight,,,the rail pressure according to it is spiking from 5600-13000??
    Did you purge the fuel lines? Also did you check to be sure you have enough fuel coming from the lift pump. You can have a dribble and build pressure but no volume to run on. Fastest way I can think of is disconnect the fuel line from the CP3 and put it in a can. Turn the key on for a sec. You should get around an inch or 2 of fuel in the can

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Welcome to the forum friend.
    I’ve been having a similar problem on a Freightliner M2 chassis with the same motor. I thought at first it was low voltage in the batteries which turned out two of them where bad so I replaced all three with new and finally started after cranking for a bit but the next day it just turns over and over. My mechanic disconnected the solenoid that went to the intake heater thinking that the wiring maybe breaking down and it fired right up but after about 30 minutes running it died and wouldn’t start. Tomorrow he is gonna look at the fuel pump to see what pressure it has and also mentioned it could be an oil pressure issue and look into that too.
    I’m sure somebody on here has been there done that with this engine and will chime in.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    Good idea. I just suggested the lift pump previously. Freightliner has external pumps don't they?

I remember getting stuck in Indianna years ago with on old 318. Rigged air pressure to the tank and it got me to a truck shop some 100 miles away. Thank goodness for maxies

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Good idea. I just suggested the lift pump previously. Freightliner has external pumps don't they?

I remember getting stuck in Indianna years ago with on old 318. Rigged air pressure to the tank and it got me to a truck shop some 100 miles away. Thank goodness for maxies
    Yes sir I believe they do.

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes