Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque converter issue?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Torque converter issue?

First time Cummins owner here, so that definitely qualifies me as a noob in this realm. However, I am no noob to vehicles in general. Just trying to sort out something out here without knowing the idiosyncrasies of these trucks.

What I have:

2012 3500 ST DRW
    150K miles
    WELLLLLL maintained
    Previous owner took it in to the Dodge dealer EVERY service interval.
    He did not have any of the modifications, he had it bone stock, I just put these on yesterday after I had a Edge Juice w/ attitude on it for maybe 2000 miles:
    RaceME Ultra
    5" Flo-Pro Turbo Back

What's going on?

I have the truck on "Default" 120HP tune, and I am gentle as I am well aware of the 68RFE shortcomings and also the lack of overboost protection on the box tunes. The issue I am having is between 3rd and 4th gears, and somewhat between 4th and 5th. When it gets ready to shift to the next gear it's as if it hesitates, like it can't decide whether or not it wants to shift or not. From what I've researched, it shouldn't be the transmission itself slipping as I am not getting any CELs. However, I know that there are issues with valve bodies and torque converters so that is where I am currently leaning. I'd rather not take it to a shop as I am capable of making repairs on my own (short of a full transmission rebuild, voodoo and sorcery in there to me at my current skill level). But if I don't know the exact issues, then obviously I cannot know what exactly to do. I'd greatly appreciate any insight, or correction to my current ignorance on these trucks. Thank you all in advance!

2. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Torque converter issue?

Also, this is under mild or moderate acceleration. I have yet to go WOT with this tune for the previous listed reasons.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome! Sounds like normal shift flare to me. Hopefully it's not the torque converter. Too bad you didn't find us before the Edge or Ultra. We would have steered you towards an MM3 with custom Warp Tuning from Double R Diesel. His trans tuning will rid you of that hesitation. Of course you can still get Warp Tuning for the Ultra at extra cost too you. I'm not sure why that shift flare would be worse with the Ultra than stock. Are you using the trans tuning that's in the Ultra?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

4. Top Of Page | #4

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Welcome! Sounds like normal shift flare to me. Hopefully it's not the torque converter. Too bad you didn't find us before the Edge or Ultra. We would have steered you towards an MM3 with custom Warp Tuning from Double R Diesel. His trans tuning will rid you of that hesitation. Of course you can still get Warp Tuning for the Ultra at extra cost too you. I'm not sure why that shift flare would be worse with the Ultra than stock. Are you using the trans tuning that's in the Ultra?

Thank you!!

So so this is normal for these trucks? And yes I’m using the default stock transmission tuning.

Haha yeah I found out about Double R literally as I was downloading the ECM tune from the Ultra to the truck.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Too be honest, I really don't remember how my stock 2012 shifted when new. From what I've read the newer trucks are worse. I do remember there was quite a lag for converter lock up after the shift.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

If the hesitation you experience also includes an increase in engine rpms then this is typical of the 'shift flare' in the trans tuning on the Ultra and MM3. My understanding is that it's supposed to help preserve the internals of the trans as you up the power levels so I guess it's a good thing.

I find it us much less noticable with the more throttle I give it.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Top Of Page | #7

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    If the hesitation you experience also includes an increase in engine rpms then this is typical of the 'shift flare' in the trans tuning on the Ultra and MM3. My understanding is that it's supposed to help preserve the internals of the trans as you up the power levels so I guess it's a good thing.

I find it us much less noticable with the more throttle I give it.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    That is exactly what happens! Ok cool, good to know. I was worried I was about to have to dump even more into it with a be TC or a rebuild or something haha.

8. Top Of Page | #8

and thank you!

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have found that transmission tuning is not that great in stock tuners like the ultra in general unless you have some specific Tunes from good tuners like DRD. Even with stock firmware I currently basically have a missing 5th gear when my truck shifts from 4th, to 5th, then to 6th gear. My 5th gear takes a total a second, if that, to shift from 4th all the way to 6th going 45 mph.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

2012 2500 ST w/ manmual 4x4 from the auction w 16k miles - Upgrades so far - Leather, LED bed lights, HID projectors, Nav = Appradio3 w ARU unchained reloaded full touch screencast & tailgate handle backup camera, homemade front hitch and reciever w 12k lb winch, reverse lights, soft open tailgate, transfercase linkage mod, Ultra and deletes, folding back seat mod, Kicker hideaway under drivers seat, Fumoto valve and safety clip, new warrantied turbo at 16k. Rocker Aux panel switches, Ford fold away bed extender, inverter outlet mod, soon an overhead console. Pulling a 2001 Prokat 2200WA around on my days off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast