Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 4500 power loss

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2018 4500 power loss

I’ve been noticing a sharp power loss on my 2018 4500 for the last couple of days. I assume I got bad fuel or something and my filters are restricted. But this morning I noticed my rail pressure spiking from around 8000psi to 20000psi at the moment of power loss and then staying around 18-20k until I let off the throttle. It’s real noticeable when your dragging 20000 lbs behind you. I got filters but wanted to throw it out here this morning to see what y’all think. It’s almost like it de-rates or goes into limp mode but without cel’s or alarms going off. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2018 4500 power loss

Does it throw any codes?

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skywrench View Post
    Does it throw any codes?

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73
    No codes. That’s what’s got me leaning towards fuel filters. I wish the genius designing these trucks made a way to monitor fuel pressure between the lift pump and the filters to watch for restrictions.

5. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by easttxram View Post
    I’ve been noticing a sharp power loss on my 2018 4500 for the last couple of days. I assume I got bad fuel or something and my filters are restricted. But this morning I noticed my rail pressure spiking from around 8000psi to 20000psi at the moment of power loss and then staying around 18-20k until I let off the throttle. It’s real noticeable when your dragging 20000 lbs behind you. I got filters but wanted to throw it out here this morning to see what y’all think. It’s almost like it de-rates or goes into limp mode but without cel’s or alarms going off. Opinions?

Your on the right track with fuel filters. I've had a wix filter on a duramax get stopped up on a duramax after 3k miles. Felt like the trans have out when it happened. But Have you noticed anything else going on?.excessive engine noise or anything? I had something similar happen with my 16 2500 and it ended up being a software update from the dealer.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Your on the right track with fuel filters. I've had a wix filter on a duramax get stopped up on a duramax after 3k miles. Felt like the trans have out when it happened. But Have you noticed anything else going on?.excessive engine noise or anything? I had something similar happen with my 16 2500 and it ended up being a software update from the dealer.
    No noise or clattering or anything like that. No codes or cel’s. I’ve got an MM3 on it with all the deletes. The throttle has always done a weird hesitation thing when you go from reverse to drive and to the throttle. My ‘14 2500 kinda did that until I put the RaceMe on it. This will make the 4th set of fuel filters in 23,000 miles. I have a couple of 1000 gal tanks out here at my shed that I have fuel delivered to every week for my business. I’m beginning to think there’s something in my on-road tank. 4 years ago we had algae in our off-road tank. Treatment cleared it up but as much as fuel costs this is ridiculous. My supplier should have to reimburse me for filters. Over $100 a pair is getting old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

No noise or clattering or anything like that. No codes or cel’s. I’ve got an MM3 on it with all the deletes. The throttle has always done a weird hesitation thing when you go from reverse to drive and to the throttle. My ‘14 2500 kinda did that until I put the RaceMe on it. This will make the 4th set of fuel filters in 23,000 miles. I have a couple of 1000 gal tanks out here at my shed that I have fuel delivered to every week for my business. I’m beginning to think there’s something in my on-road tank. 4 years ago we had algae in our off-road tank. Treatment cleared it up but as much as fuel costs this is ridiculous. My supplier should have to reimburse me for filters. Over $100 a pair is getting old.

Dang man yeah that's rediculous. Does it always seam to clear up when you change the filters?. You may be able to tell when you change your filters if the fuel is dirty or has algae. When I changed mine after I got my truck the filter at the engine had what I assume was algae. It was like grey real fine particles. All clumped up in the filter. I honestly dont know how it didnt have low fuel pressure codes.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Dang man yeah that's rediculous. Does it always seam to clear up when you change the filters?. You may be able to tell when you change your filters if the fuel is dirty or has algae. When I changed mine after I got my truck the filter at the engine had what I assume was algae. It was like grey real fine particles. All clumped up in the filter. I honestly dont know how it didnt have low fuel pressure codes.
    Yeah, usually makes the fuel a real dark color. What’s crazy is I’ve changed them before and didn’t pour anything foreign out. The element would be nearly black though.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I wonder if you could send off a fuel sample from your storage tank to see if that's actually the issue?

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I put in a call today to my supplier and since my tanks are leased they’re gonna send a guy out to test and treat the fuel if necessary. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that’s my problem because new filters on the truck and it had no problem pulling my D5K at 75mph. Thinking about putting a finer mesh fuel filters on my tanks if possible.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I put in a call today to my supplier and since my tanks are leased they’re gonna send a guy out to test and treat the fuel if necessary. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that’s my problem because new filters on the truck and it had no problem pulling my D5K at 75mph. Thinking about putting a finer mesh fuel filters on my tanks if possible.

Hopefully that will work for ya man. Try to get some 3 micron cat filters on there

19. Likes easttxram, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast