Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel pressure WOT? It's not your lift pump..

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel pressure WOT? It's not your lift pump..

Hey guys.. Ive been trying to raise my fuel pressure to what I consider safe with stock lift pump. When I installed the gauge, I had 13 psi idle and 17psi 2000 rpm but ran fine. Some said I need a new lift pump, but I installed a ball point pen spring inside the stock over flow valve spring and bumped pressure up to 25 psi idle and 30 at 2000 rpm.

Iv been reading "There is no gain in performance with fuel pressure higher than 32 psi, Fuel pressure higher than 45 will cause damage." But Iv read many are running over 45 psi without issues..

My target is to have 20-25psi at idle and about 38 psi at 2500 rpm, but I cant even get over 30 psi. And the new adjustable over flow valve I just installed is running even lower than my stock pen spring ofv.. Pressure drops down to 16 psi WOT when shifting 4-5 gear, but comes up to 22 psi WOT 2500 rpm.. I didn't check WOT with the stock pen spring ofv.

So what's a safe psi for the 215 p-pump at WOT? And since I'm seeing 6-8 psi drops after shifting at 1500 rpm WOT, doesn't that mean I need low 40's to keep pressure above 32 psi WOT?

Thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel pressure WOT? It's not your lift pump..

I've been running a stock pump since I bought mine. It develops enough pressure to fuel my engine, cool all it needs to with the return flow and hasn't failed yet. I've run basically stock and pull a 10k trailer max and my bed full many times. I've read many of the threads here and in other sites about this need for higher pressure, but always questioned how much do you really need ?

What are your needs for the truck ?
    If the demand for it is more than the trucks stock lift pump is giving, have you considered something like, say a Fass external lift pump where you can adjust your flow/pressure ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan