Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Roof Rack

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Roof Rack

Thought Id share some photos of the roof rack I installed yesterday. I needed a place to put our kayaks when we travel yet wanted to be able to fit my truck in my garage still... not many options since I barely fit in my 8' tall door without the rack. I found a very low profile rack made by KC that I really liked and it had really nice LED light bars that are integrated into the rack on the front and sides.

This KC "M-Rack" is cut to fit the curvature of the cab and fits perfectly. I was pretty impressed how well it fit. The rack is aluminum and fairly light weight. I was able to lift it on and off by myself which was a feat as its not easy to work on the top of this truck.

The rack mounts to the cap via "rivnuts". I have never used these before but they are really cool. Kind of a mix between a rivet and a nut thus the name. To install I had to drill 12 holes in the top of my new 2018 truck which made me very nervous! I practiced on some other sheet metal I had as it is possible to mess up installing these rivnuts. Fortunately I was able to install all of them without problem. Im pleased with the rack and install. I still have to have the lights wired into the cab and switches installed. I will probably pay someone to do that part as I plan to have some sound system work done at the same time.

Rivnut

2. Likes walla2k5, ICT LPX liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Roof Rack

I am not a big fan of roof racks but that looks good, nice work.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    I am not a big fan of roof racks but that looks good, nice work.

I agree, but I do admit, it blends well on the truck.
    How tall when kayaks are on ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Not a big fan of roof racks either, but yours looks pretty darn good. Nice work.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Looks sharp!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I like it, Looks great man.

08 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins, HPP deletes, RaceMe Ultra, Flo-Pro 5" TBE, 68RFE Trans, 4.10 Gears,18x10 Moto Metal Chrome 285x65x18, Toyo A/T Open Country

11. Likes walla2k5 liked this post