Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator bad?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Alternator bad?

So I decided to get my less than a year old batteries to be checked at Autozone before the cold weather hits Va Beach. Guy tests the right side battery and it’s charged. Performs the alternator test and he says it failed and I need a new alternator? My battery gauge on my dash on warm days shows 13 volts while running and on cold days it shows 14 volts. How accurate is the Autozone alternator test? I’ll probably end up grabbing a multimeter at work and doing it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation KeepEmRollin14's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Alternator bad?

Those testers are not that great. Grab a multimeter and check to see what voltage output is. Best way is to have an actual scan tool hooked up to see what the alternator is doing. Those testers they have should full field the alternator so if it didnt do that then i dont think its accurate. That along with testing to make sure its putting out 1-1.5 more volts than battery charge is sufficient.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t trust the auto zone testers. If your not having any issues at all and you voltage is reading what you said then I wouldn’t worry about it. Did you have the other battery tested? You only mentioned you had the right side tested?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I wouldn’t trust the auto zone testers. If your not having any issues at all and you voltage is reading what you said then I wouldn’t worry about it. Did you have the other battery tested? You only mentioned you had the right side tested?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    Only tested right side.

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Could have failed if 1 battery was low. Check the other side as well.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I agree! Why only check one battery and not the other? If the other one is bad then replace both batteries even if one is still testing ok. If you only replace one and not the other it could cause the new battery to have a much shorter life.

11. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

So i grabbed a multimeter at work at read out each battery. Both read about 12.7 with engine off. Read both batteries with engine running and both were at about 14.4. It took about 15 seconds for the alternator to take over charging batteries. I believe that's where the Autozone guy screwed up. He didn't wait long enough....

12. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Yep there good nothing wrong

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with your batteries or charging system

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Best time to check the batteries is after it has set over night. Anything under 12.1 should raise an eye brow. I disconnect one battery and read them individually. That's how I found this one bad one I have right now

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

17. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast