Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: History Of Design Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

History Of Design Questions

I was curious. I was doing some searching online to find out if cummins engines were all "in-line". I know some of there very large Industrial engines are the "V" design but By-and-large most engines seem to be in-line design especially there light & medium duty application.

My curiosity was sparked by the new design they did in the 5.0 Cummins in the new Nissan titan trucks.

Curious about reliability with such a change from the norm. In-line has been tried and tested.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just over 40 years ago I drove a truck that had an inline 4 cyl cummins.
    Every pickup and big rig I've seen had an inline 6 cyl.
    So I want in on this if someone else has seen different.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've dealt with cummins in small and medium trucks. Hell, when I drove tractor trailers many moons ago, I had what was referred to as a 318, which was today's 5.9 with smaller bore.

I also have allot of experience with them in Generators. Can't say I ever saw a V8 on a Genset. They were usually Cats at that size. 350 KW and larger. It wasn't until a few years ago they were forced to go to electronics on the Generators. I dunno if these electronics make them more durable or not. To me, it makes them less reliable when the heat is on. (Magnet bombs)

The generators used in the World Trade Centers were Wakasha's. Hugh inline 8 cylinder stuff.

V8's can be just as reliable if they are balanced right. Inline engines require allot less balance considerations which is why they last so long.

@74Beeper I often wondered what would happen if they ever made the Chrysler slant 6 in diesel. Maybe the beep knows something on that. I hear somewhere years ago the Auzzies made a slant 6 diesel.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I've dealt with cummins in small and medium trucks. Hell, when I drove tractor trailers many moons ago, I had what was referred to as a 318, which was today's 5.9 with smaller bore.

I also have allot of experience with them in Generators. Can't say I ever saw a V8 on a Genset. They were usually Cats at that size. 350 KW and larger. It wasn't until a few years ago they were forced to go to electronics on the Generators. I dunno if these electronics make them more durable or not. To me, it makes them less reliable when the heat is on. (Magnet bombs)

The generators used in the World Trade Centers were Wakasha's. Hugh inline 8 cylinder stuff.

V8's can be just as reliable if they are balanced right. Inline engines require allot less balance considerations which is why they last so long.

@74Beeper I often wondered what would happen if they ever made the Chrysler slant 6 in diesel. Maybe the beep knows something on that. I hear somewhere years ago the Auzzies made a slant 6 diesel.
    Don’t know anything about a slant 6 diesel but I do know a 6 cylinder Mitsubishi diesel was an option for the 1978 Power Wagon and Ramcharger..... They are very rare. Originally they were naturally aspirated but when customers complained of lack of power, they offered a dealer installed turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

6. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    Don’t know anything about a slant 6 diesel but I do know a 6 cylinder Mitsubishi diesel was an option for the 1978 Power Wagon and Ramcharger..... They are very rare. Originally they were naturally aspirated but when customers complained of lack of power, they offered a dealer installed turbo.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...842deac785.jpg

Yup Had one. I've referred to it many times on the site. Slow? 0 to 60 by noon. 1/4 mile, 40 minutes. LOL Someone has been busy with the wiring 0n that one. The engine electrics were awful. I was lucky. I tripped over a turbo kit at a garage sale for 50 bucks. A really sweet kit. Also woke that motor right up. mine was even rarer as it was a club cab. The Mitsi diesel was actually available from 72 to 79. It was no 12 Valve Cummins, but it was respectable . 40 MPG with the turbo.

I sold it for more than I paid for it. The guy I bought it from was always having electrical problems. But it would rip a house down. I think I have one pic of it

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Google the 903 Cummins. A V-8 class 8 engine. I don’t know if you could even find one in a salvage yard. POC.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I used to drive a American La France pumper that had a 555 V8 Cummins.

Did pretty good moving that heave beast.

The only 555 V8 Cummins I ever saw.

12. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Here is a great writeup about the weakness of the V8 design.

https://everythingaboutboats.org/cummins-v-555/

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have been a trucker and diesel aficionado for 35 years. Cummins for the most part are inline 6. In the early years they had a few V-8's but those were the years where fuel was cheap and there were more powerful gas engine options. Look up the Hall-Scott 400 for the 400hp truck engine used back in the 30's and 40's. 1100 cid inline 6 gas, hemi head and 2 spark plugs per cylinder. The diesels of the day just could not compete. Youtube has some cool videos of them. I have seen one in person in a '39 Diamond T. The truck wasn't in the greatest shape but the engine ran. He wouldn't let me drive it even putting around his yard. They are hard to find nowadays.

The old Detroit 2-stroke diesels were mostly V-8's. They are mostly gone now due to emissions. Cat made a smaller 3208 an old truck of mine had in the 90's. It would take off a little faster but was gutless overall. The bigger 3408 was used in heavy haul but has since been replaced by the 3406 on highway trucks which we now call the C15. An old friend of mine used to drive heavy haul in Alaska in the 70's and he said they used the V-8's due to they peak torque comes on a little earlier and the inline 6 engines struggled more to get started. the V-8 diesels do get to peak torque a few hundred rpm earlier even in today's engines but as we see with our Ford and GM pickup counterparts but as the older engines did they use more fuel and have to run harder and faster to do the same job as their I-6 (or L-6) Cummins engines do.

2018 Ram 3500 (Aisin) Laramie 4X4 CCSB White/Silver.
    2018 Mustang GT Lightning Blue 6 spd manual.
    2021 Charger GT AWD Triple Nickel/Black

16. Likes SyN, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post