Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More power from a 3rd gen?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question More power from a 3rd gen?

Hi all,

I have a 2003 2500 2wd. I love the truck but it struggles up hills at highway speeds when towing my 10,000lb boat or even my wife's car. I've never tuned or modified a vehicle before but am competent with electrical and basic mechanical. Is there anything I could do to increase power without spending a fortune or significantly increasing the chances of failure? Or is this just a fact of life when towing above 55mph?

Thanks

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: More power from a 3rd gen?

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
    Hi all,

I have a 2003 2500 2wd. I love the truck but it struggles up hills at highway speeds when towing my 10,000lb boat or even my wife's car. I've never tuned or modified a vehicle before but am competent with electrical and basic mechanical. Is there anything I could do to increase power without spending a fortune or significantly increasing the chances of failure? Or is this just a fact of life when towing above 55mph?

Thanks
    As an 03 2wd owner, I can help.

Tell me more about the truck. Mileage, tires, automatic? no modifications at all? How old is the exhaust?

Here's the better question. How much can you spend? There's not too many tricks we can pull out of the hat.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks Dwelsh, BrightWhiteCummins, Panhandler thanked for this post
    Likes Dwelsh, BrightWhiteCummins, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks, Polaraco. The truck is automatic, completely stock with 162,000 miles and original exhaust and transmission. Tires are just standard load range E highway tires, OEM recommended size, 1 year old. I'd have trouble justifying putting more than $1,000 into a 15 year old truck.

I read a thread about your tuner testing and was intrigued!

Thanks

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I should probably add that the truck is my daily driver and I don't care how it looks or sounds.

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

As a fellow 03 owner also I am also curious as my truck is all stock with 106500sh miles but I have a 6 speed

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
    Thanks, Polaraco. The truck is automatic, completely stock with 162,000 miles and original exhaust and transmission. Tires are just standard load range E highway tires, OEM recommended size, 1 year old. I'd have trouble justifying putting more than $1,000 into a 15 year old truck.

I read a thread about your tuner testing and was intrigued!

Thanks
    I had to run outside and make sure my truck was still out there! LOL Well not really, I've got allot more in mine. At that mileage, it's still a virgin. Just keep an eye on the rust. Now tell me it's green

There's not much you can do short of a tuner. There's plenty of options available once you have one.

What do you do with the truck? Daily?
    @Dude's Diesel Performance might have something for you

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Thanks Panhandler thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, 03 unicorn liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I had to run outside and make sure my truck was still out there! LOL Well not really, I've got allot more in mine. At that mileage, it's still a virgin. Just keep an eye on the rust. Now tell me it's green

There's not much you can do short of a tuner. There's plenty of options available once you have one.

What do you do with the truck? Daily?
    @Dude's Diesel Performance might have something for you
    Ha! It's white, which I like to think helps with the Florida heat.

I was thinking along the lines of a tuner as well. Do I need to upgrade any parts before putting in a tuner?

I drive about 10 miles a day normally. I often pull a 10,000lb boat a mile or two to the ramp and back. Once a year my wife and I go to Maine and we tow her car filled with stuff there and back. A few times a year I haul loads of rock or compost in the bed or with a trailer. Just normal truck life....

14. Likes walla2k5, 03 unicorn liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

For around $1000 you can do a Smarty Jr tuner (used eBay), 4" Diamond eye stainless turbo back exhaust, and an S&B intake (get the dry paper filter). That will be the most bang for your buck.

https://www.sbfilters.com/cold-air-i...variant_id=168

http://www.diamondeyeperformance.com...roducts_id=128

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MADS-SMARTY...5JBR:rk:2:pf:0

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

16. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

If the bids go too high, I have one I'd let go for $325. It looks like brand new.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

18. Likes walla2k5, 03 unicorn liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Heck, I have a Smarty SO6 PoD that should work for your truck, and I'd take 450 shipped. But if you're going with a tuner, don't crank it too high or your trans will let go. The smarty sw5 setting will bring it up another 105 hp and more then that will be too much for the trans.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

20. Likes walla2k5, 03 unicorn liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast