Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  99
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gale Banks is doing it again.... Differential Covers this time.

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: Gale Banks is doing it again.... Differential Covers this time.

Banks just released the final video on their diff cover.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Mr Banks has put alot of Man Hrs into his cover as well as alot of research & development - But all that adds up & is passed on heavily to the Customer! Holy Cow that cover is expensive! "It really is a good looking Cover" But Holy Cow its Expensive!
    As long as he don't begin spewing out Poop - Like If you don't use MY Cover - Your rearend gear set won't make it past 100-200K miles ---> I will never have a problem with him selling his way overpriced cover!
    I will simply just ignore his ads.

My Single IQ Thinking is - This cover has not shown and will not show to extend rearend gear set life - as long as the owner uses sensible service intervals according to his driving style & habits.

I went with PML due to it serves the same purpose and holds 1 more extra Qt & a bit less expensive --$202 to my door step!
    In the near future - a PML Pan will be installed on her 68RFE then further down the road a PML will be installed on her front differential.

Mind you: If I was only keeping her for 4-5 years I wouldn't be doing any of this!

My Hats off to Mr Banks - He has MANY proud owners going out back and Shaking the He!! out of that $$$ Tree!
    Congrats! To all those Ram owners - Whom end up purchasing one of these Expensive Covers!

Mr PT Barnum was 100% Correct!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Likes Power247, watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Gear oil is made at a specific weight and chemicals blended in are design to run at high temps and heavy loads. Todays lube are way better than even a decade ago.
    So I would like to know if a rear end oil temp is 335 degrees while pulling a load at 60 mph going up a mountain road ... is the oil temp actually high or low compared to the engineers design of the system ?

The trucks rear end is designed to throw the oil within the housing, over the gears while a portion of the same gear is always submerged in oil, and with this oil movement, gravitate outward to the outer seals and bearings for their lube.
    If the oil level is to specs ... as the designing engineers intended ... at the proper level for the application .. is changed as required .. is there a real issue here ?

(I will admit, I have an aftermarket cover for the front and rear axles. There was only two reasons for my changes.
    1. I wanted a larger reservoir
    2. I wanted a lower drain plug to make changing the gear oil easier.)
    You have a point.

All this fluff is useless unless there is sufficient air flow.

Meaning, you have to be doing 60 for it to have any effect.

What happens at 30?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Finally watched the whole video. Showing the way the diff fluid moved when the covers were replaced with plexiglass was very interesting.

I still didn't see anything in his results that convinced me to replace my factory cover with his as long as I keep up with the fluid change intervals.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Next Monday my truck goes in to have an AEV lift, ARB lockers, gears, along with multiple other things installed. I was originally planning to have AEV front and rear diff covers installed for the ease of fluid changes but I decided to go with the Banks on the rear instead. They are showing out of stock on their website so I called to get an ETA and fortunately they had a few black ops editions left that were not put on the site.

It may be more expensive but I like the thought and attention Banks put into this. Retaining the spec fluid levels is also a big benefit that will also help pay for itself over the long run. Will this cover prevent failures any better than its competitors, probably not, but Banks has done far more compared to the competition of breaking things down and explaining/showing why design choices were made. Hell, I can't even find an inside picture of the AEV rear diff cover.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247, cosmicIPA liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

I was checking it out in person at SEMA
    Only benifit I see over the factory 11.8 I have sitting waiting for me to install is the ram air ducts.

$money saved$

Sorry Billy banks, not falling for your late night infomercial.

Go back to calling nitromethane-blends "diesel" and consuming 8 bottles of n20 in a ¼ mile pass.

08 r2500 quad cab 4x4 - Ugly Betty
    Deleted, AFE , 5" strait pipe , DRD Tuned
    68RFE, bonded, pressure kit , Drum, Chanel plate, ultra tight tripple
    Carli 2.5" King Shocks, Full Deaver rear
    F/R 4340 shafts, locked up, Freespin, 4.10's
    17" Icon Rebound Pros w/ 37" Baja Pro's
    IronCross bumpers F/R, 12k winch, BedSlide, Canopy , etc.

12. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234