Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  99
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gale Banks is doing it again.... Differential Covers this time.

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Gale Banks is doing it again.... Differential Covers this time.

I got a fancy rear cover as well.... For only one reason..... It’s fancy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    I got a fancy rear cover as well.... For only one reason..... It’s fancy

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...365045fa63.jpg

I like that

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

3. Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

How many time have you heard, "My damn rear-end went out, 'cause I put a larger capacity cover on it"?

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

5. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    How many time have you heard, "My damn rear-end went out, 'cause I put a larger capacity cover on it"?
    It’s more than just “maybe” starving the pinion bearings it’s about fuel economy due to excessive fluid drag which in turn also causes excessive heat. Although probably very minimal (MPG’s) over time this will add up. What he’s doing is hard data testing the effects if any. When the numbers come in, I expect it not to be too much to be concerned about but it’s interesting as hell thats he’s going to such lengths to actually test this.

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears

7. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

It’s more than just “maybe” starving the pinion bearings it’s about fuel economy due to excessive fluid drag which in turn also causes excessive heat. Although probably very minimal (MPG’s) over time this will add up. What he’s doing is hard data testing the effects if any. When the numbers come in, I expect it not to be too much to be concerned about but it’s interesting as hell thats he’s going to such lengths to actually test this.

Oh, I agree with all that you said, he is expressing his due diligence and that is commendable. I've never been inside one of our current differentials, are they equipped with an oil slinger at the pinion? GM had a few models that needed them to lube the pinion bearing (at low speeds), there may be others. I do know that it is a very violent environment inside the differential when in operation and I can't see how any component these days couldn't be lubricated.

A good point though. Is having more oil in the differential creating more heat? Is the larger cover, dissipating that heat at the same rate?
    If that is true,
    Q: Why use a larger capacity cover?
    A: For the drain plug.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

9. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

All this talk bashing Banks..... I don’t get it. Where is any proof he’s a a fake and selling snake oil? He’s been in the high performance supercharging/turbocharging industry since the 50’s and has a huge contract with the US military using his design to power their new support vehicle. He’s like the Boeing of the vehicle world. I don’t see where he’s a crook or selling something that it’s not.

My issue with banks is they misrepresented themselves on a couple of items. One was on an exhaust and the other was an intercooler. Too many times he's tried to defy physics with his claims. I called him out when I bought the intercooler. I made him take it back. The intake temps went up! I should have known better then. Not to mention, the banks intercooler looked identical to the factory cooler on my 08.

Banks vs BD (Black)

I bought a stainless exhaust for my 01. I have no idea what stainless grade he used. I'm not a metallurgist. But the pipe was impossible to cut. I remember getting some carbide sawsall blades which only scratched the surface. I burned out 2- 4.5" grinder wheels cutting the pipe to length. Then it was bent all wrong for the rear axle. What do they tell me? I cut it, I can't return it. Hydraulic Conduit bender later. . . .

There's a few other item I've seen and heard about that didn't meet up to par.

We're both with an engineering background. some stuff they claim just doesn't make sense. I've called Gale out on them. All he did was change his tactics.

I don't go out looking for trouble. Too busy, But like many, I want my money to go into something that works as described. Since I've been doing this for so many years, I've used a lot of different products. The only other 2 products I had problems with was s & B and air dog.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    My issue with banks is they misrepresented themselves on a couple of items. One was on an exhaust and the other was an intercooler. Too many times he's tried to defy physics with his claims. I called him out when I bought the intercooler. I made him take it back. The intake temps went up! I should have known better then. Not to mention, the banks intercooler looked identical to the factory cooler on my 08.

Banks vs BD (Black)

I bought a stainless exhaust for my 01. I have no idea what stainless grade he used. I'm not a metallurgist. But the pipe was impossible to cut. I remember getting some carbide sawsall blades which only scratched the surface. I burned out 2- 4.5" grinder wheels cutting the pipe to length. Then it was bent all wrong for the rear axle. What do they tell me? I cut it, I can't return it. Hydraulic Conduit bender later. . . .

There's a few other item I've seen and heard about that didn't meet up to par.

We're both with an engineering background. some stuff they claim just doesn't make sense. I've called Gale out on them. All he did was change his tactics.

I don't go out looking for trouble. Too busy, But like many, I want my money to go into something that works as described. Since I've been doing this for so many years, I've used a lot of different products. The only other 2 products I had problems with was s & B and air dog.
    At least you have some valid claims to be disappointed. Most just spout off with no experience. I personally have never bought any Banks products yet but know many who have and you’re the first I’ve heard not happy. With literally hundreds of thousands of customers over the years, you surely can’t please them all.

13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

At least you have some valid claims to be disappointed. Most just spout off with no experience. I personally have never bought any Banks products yet but know many who have and you’re the first I’ve heard not happy. With literally hundreds of thousands of customers over the years, you surely can’t please them all.

Yeah I am one picky SOB. He's got some items that are OK. but there are others from an experienced engineers eye that don't cut it. He makes some false claims. The average person wouldn't pick up on them. They don't know any different. But hey! "It looks cool". LOL

I've spent my entire career trying to get inside some engineers heads to unravel something in the field. I've seen better engineering out of some peoples garage. The guy who made the Shibby air horns as an example. I forget the name of the magazine that hired an independent lab to test air horn flow. Shibby was #1! What does Gail say? Kurt never pushed his products too hard, but he's still shipping cast aluminum.

It's kind of like putting AC spark plugs in a hemi. No That's a bad analogy. Well we're Mopar guys. we have to be picky.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Yeah I am one picky SOB. He's got some items that are OK. but there are others from an experienced engineers eye that don't cut it. He makes some false claims. The average person wouldn't pick up on them. They don't know any different. But hey! "It looks cool". LOL

I've spent my entire career trying to get inside some engineers heads to unravel something in the field. I've seen better engineering out of some peoples garage. The guy who made the Shibby air horns as an example. I forget the name of the magazine that hired an independent lab to test air horn flow. Shibby was #1! What does Gail say? Kurt never pushed his products too hard, but he's still shipping cast aluminum.

It's kind of like putting AC spark plugs in a hemi. No That's a bad analogy. Well we're Mopar guys. we have to be picky.
    I run Autolite plugs in my 440ci R3 Siamese bore 700hp pump gas small block.

16. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I run Autolite plugs in my 440ci R3 Siamese bore 700hp pump gas small block.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8a797214b1.jpg

Sweet! 700 HP and no bottle, impressive!!

18. Thanks 74Beeper thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, david3gen, 74Beeper liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast