Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fass issues?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

fass issues?

Ok this has happened 3 times now? i have a 5-10 degree slope in my driveway if i pull my truck in front end facing the house after i start the truck and back out it cuts off? i get to driving down the street and it cuts off!, I've almost taken out neighbors mail box! anyway, it does this when the fuel is down to 3/4 of a tank, this is a 16 automatic 6.7 that i had a fass 95 gph and sump put it, now this happens when I'm down to 3/4 of a tank of gas? this should not do this? and yes it is deleted and tuned. tonight im backed in and ill see if it does it when i leave for work tomorrow, so any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: fass issues?

Quote Originally Posted by gafool25 View Post
    Ok this has happened 3 times now? i have a 5-10 degree slope in my driveway if i pull my truck in front end facing the house after i start the truck and back out it cuts off? i get to driving down the street and it cuts off!, I've almost taken out neighbors mail box! anyway, it does this when the fuel is down to 3/4 of a tank, this is a 16 automatic 6.7 that i had a fass 95 gph and sump put it, now this happens when I'm down to 3/4 of a tank of gas? this should not do this? and yes it is deleted and tuned. tonight im backed in and ill see if it does it when i leave for work tomorrow, so any help would be appreciated, thanks
    When did this start? Meaning was something done to the truck that started these symptoms?

You have a sump? Or a draw straw? This sounds like a draw straw issue

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

started about a month ago? seems to do it when im at 3/4 level, and yes has a sump in it, what sucks is i have to get gas before i go to work in the morning so i can't rally take it to the shop that worked on it and them say , yea we couldn't find anything wrong, im sure they could take the fuel out?

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

started about a month ago? seems to do it when im at 3/4 level, and yes has a sump in it, what sucks is i have to get gas before i go to work in the morning so i can't rally take it to the shop that worked on it and them say , yea we couldn't find anything wrong, im sure they could take the fuel out?
    Are you saying 3/4 full or empty.

In a sump, the only thing I can think of, fuel level related, would be the gauge float falling down and clogging the sump at 3/4 empty. Where is the sump located on the tank?

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

sorry 3/4 empty, the sump looks to be towards the rear of the tank.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

sorry 3/4 empty, the sump looks to be towards the rear of the tank.
    I hate to say this

The only logical solution is what I described. 1/4" any other way it probably wouldn't do it. That's also means the tank could be lower than 3/4 empty

12. Thanks gafool25 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Dwelsh liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Sounds like just a low fuel issue to me- the sumps were designed to be at the lowest part of the tank to eliminate this issue. It was a real problem with draw straw set ups which is why a lot of people switched to sumps. If the sump is on the high side of the tank when parked then it is likely not filling with fuel (the cutting out).

Option 1 - fill more frequent (not always an option)
    Option 2- back it in so the sump is on the low side and covered with fuel
    Option 3- find new tank and move sump location to central on the tank

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

When your tank is that low and you fill up, how many gallons do you put into the truck ?
    If your tank is a 35 gallon tank & when its that low, you put in say 25 to 30 gallons, then your lift pump float can be the issue and needs to be physically checked.
    Maybe park it in head first and see if this corrects the problem. Your lift pump should be in the rear of the tank.

And I agree, if you keep going that low, you need to keep the sump on the low side when parking at home.
    So far I haven't heard anything that might indicate the fass is the problem.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

16. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Sounds like just a low fuel issue to me- the sumps were designed to be at the lowest part of the tank to eliminate this issue. It was a real problem with draw straw set ups which is why a lot of people switched to sumps. If the sump is on the high side of the tank when parked then it is likely not filling with fuel (the cutting out).

Option 1 - fill more frequent (not always an option)
    Option 2- back it in so the sump is on the low side and covered with fuel
    Option 3- find new tank and move sump location to central on the tank
    Don't take me wrong, but you're contradicting yourself. The sump is supposed to eliminate this problem with a low fuel level. That's what you are implying? The tank would have to be pretty empty for a sump not to draw I remember years ago, we used to throw ping pong ***** in the gas tank. I immediately thought of that

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    When your tank is that low and you fill up, how many gallons do you put into the truck ?
    If your tank is a 35 gallon tank & when its that low, you put in say 25 to 30 gallons, then your lift pump float can be the issue and needs to be physically checked.
    Maybe park it in head first and see if this corrects the problem. Your lift pump should be in the rear of the tank.

And I agree, if you keep going that low, you need to keep the sump on the high side when parking at home.
    So far I haven't heard anything that might indicate the fass is the problem.
    I guess we should know how steep a driveway we're talking about

18. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Don't take me wrong, but you're contradicting yourself. The sump is supposed to eliminate this problem with a low fuel level. That's what you are implying? The tank would have to be pretty empty for a sump not to draw I remember years ago, we used to throw ping pong ***** in the gas tank. I immediately thought of that

I guess we should know how steep a driveway we're talking about

How am I contradicting myself? Sorry I was not clear- when the sump is mounted on center of the tank on a level surface in theory it would have fuel all the way until empty. He said it is a 5-10 degree slope and his sump is not centered but mounted on the rear of the truck - lf he has just a couple gallons of fuel in there and the sump is on the high side of the tank then it wouldn't be able to draw since it would not be submerged in fuel.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

20. Likes kflynn318 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast