Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  27

Thread: down pipe back exhaust -vs- delete pipe

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

down pipe back exhaust -vs- delete pipe

Question......Like everyone trying to make my pickup better and not lose an arm and leg over it. I've been hearing a lot of people tell me that if I am going to do a 4" down pipe back exhaust, just get the delete pipe and save money. Can any body chime in and say if this statement has any validity to it? Not trying to be a cheap ***, money is just tight right now. Trying to save where i can.

If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: down pipe back exhaust -vs- delete pipe

I was thinking about buying the test pipe and doing a muffler in that to help with drone but said screw it and did 5” turbo back with muffler for the deeper tone. Buy once cry once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Doc thanked for this post
    Likes Doc, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=rsabol77;128478]I was thinking about buying the test pipe and doing a muffler in that to help with drone but said screw it and did 5” turbo back with muffler for the deeper tone. Buy once cry once.

ya i believe that statement whole heartedly, from what I plan on doing the difference between a 4" and 5" is maybe a couple hundred degrees in engine temp and sound, I drive fairly conservatively, and don't mash the go juice pedal more than i have to, and the most i haul is either stock trailer or trailer of hay. i had a hard time accepting the price difference for just sound as im not to worried about the exhaust temps, thats why i was planning on a 4 inch exhaust, then talking with a few people who said if you are going to do that just keep stock exhaust and put in the delete pipes and save a little money.

If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out!

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

From what I was reading the 4” was raspy sounding and I hate that. I was going to do to save money also. I don’t regret it at all. Exhaust temps are unreal how low they are now and when you stop how fast they drop. Mine a manual and I will say when I pull a trailer and I’m holding 2000 rpm or more even with the muffler I do start to get some drone but it’s not horrible. I would think without a muffler it would drive me nuts.

8. Thanks Doc thanked for this post
    Likes Doc, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=rsabol77;128480]From what I was reading the 4” was raspy sounding and I hate that. I was going to do to save money also. I don’t regret it at all. Exhaust temps are unreal how low they are now and when you stop how fast they drop. Mine a manual and I will say when I pull a trailer and I’m holding 2000 rpm or more even with the muffler I do start to get some drone but it’s not horrible. I would think without a muffler it would drive me nuts.

I heard that too, watching videos and such off youtube it didn't sound that bad, then again its only as good as the speakers on my laptop, id rather hear it in person, but finding anyone close with the set up I'm thinking about doing is far few and inbetween.

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I purchased a stainless steel raceme pipe. To me it sounds really good and no drone tone. Of course I’ve not pulled anything with it to see if it does drone. It’s way cheaper going that route than purchasing a whole complete exhaust in my opinion.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

12. Thanks rsabol77, Doc thanked for this post
    Likes rsabol77, Doc, walla2k5, Power247, david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I also just did the 4" race pipe and kept the rest of the factory exhaust and muffler. Sounds good to me and no drone when towing.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

14. Thanks watersupply189, Doc thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Doc liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I also just did the 4" race pipe and kept the rest of the factory exhaust and muffler. Sounds good to me and no drone when towing.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    If I had a factory muffler I probably would have tried it first

16. Thanks Doc thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Doc liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Doc;128481]
    Quote Originally Posted by rsabol77 View Post
    From what I was reading the 4” was raspy sounding and I hate that. I was going to do to save money also. I don’t regret it at all. Exhaust temps are unreal how low they are now and when you stop how fast they drop. Mine a manual and I will say when I pull a trailer and I’m holding 2000 rpm or more even with the muffler I do start to get some drone but it’s not horrible. I would think without a muffler it would drive me nuts.

I heard that too, watching videos and such off youtube it didn't sound that bad, then again its only as good as the speakers on my laptop, id rather hear it in person, but finding anyone close with the set up I'm thinking about doing is far few and inbetween.
    Im running factory down pipe with no regrets. There is no restriction or filters. Sounds good to me! The Flo Pro kit bolts right up no problem- took me a little over an hour by myself and it was my first time hanging exhaust.

I did fuss with trying to pull muffler out from tail pipe for a bit- I ended up using a ratchet strap to help it come out...wish I had done that sooner!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Thanks Doc thanked for this post
    Likes rsabol77, watersupply189, Doc liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I ran a delete pipe that takes the place of the DPF and muffler. The factory exhaust is 4” so after you put that delete pipe in you are running 4” straight pipe. It honestly wasn’t loud enough for me. I recently (two days ago) changed to full 5” turbo back with a 8” tip and couldn’t be happier. It does have a drone at about 80 to 85 mph but 75 it’s perfect and has a good deep growl now!! Haven’t really noticed much of a change in egts.

20. Thanks Doc thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247, Doc liked this post