Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5" Exhaust on an airbag truck

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

5" Exhaust on an airbag truck

Anyone running a 5" exhaust on a truck with airbags? I installed mine after being told it fit. After I was done, I noticed MBRP says "Not recommended for trucks with air suspension." I then looked under the truck and the pipe touches the airbags plastic cover and the spare tire heat shield. Anyone know how hot the pipe will get that far back?

2019 Ram Laramie 3500 Black Forest Green, Harmon Kardon sound, rear air susp., fifth wheel prep, 6.7 Cummins HO, AirRaid filter, WeatherTech mats, HAVOC HS3 nerfsteps, B&W Tow and Stow, B&W 25k Companion, RockTamers, spray in liner, Access roll-up, Mopar bugshield and Gatorback splash guards.

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 5" Exhaust on an airbag truck

Quote Originally Posted by Chief247 View Post
    Anyone running a 5" exhaust on a truck with airbags? I installed mine after being told it fit. After I was done, I noticed MBRP says "Not recommended for trucks with air suspension." I then looked under the truck and the pipe touches the airbags plastic cover and the spare tire heat shield. Anyone know how hot the pipe will get that far back?
    There is a video on YouTube that drd put up about this. I believe all he did was dent in that Bend a little to make clearance around the bag.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, trinitync2014 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

You can definitely make it work bud! I had a customer that had a 2018 when they first came out go with flo pro duals with his air bags haha It can definetiely work if you are mechanically inclined and not afraid to do some light modifications.

Feel free to post up what you do so we can help everyone else out as well!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Alright, out comes the hammer. Thanks for the comments!

2019 Ram Laramie 3500 Black Forest Green, Harmon Kardon sound, rear air susp., fifth wheel prep, 6.7 Cummins HO, AirRaid filter, WeatherTech mats, HAVOC HS3 nerfsteps, B&W Tow and Stow, B&W 25k Companion, RockTamers, spray in liner, Access roll-up, Mopar bugshield and Gatorback splash guards.

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Hey, I have a 2018 megacab 2500 with rear air and the mbrp kit works . Was tight I loosened the clamps and after a couple adjustments was able to keep the pipe about 1in away from the airbag. With a trailer on sometimes it will rattle against the spare tire guard. Hope that helps.

10. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    You can definitely make it work bud! I had a customer that had a 2018 when they first came out go with flo pro duals with his air bags haha It can definetiely work if you are mechanically inclined and not afraid to do some light modifications.

Feel free to post up what you do so we can help everyone else out as well!
    Alright, out comes the hammer. Thanks for the comments!
    If you want, and should, go to home cheapo and get a piece of galvanized sheet metal and a couple of hose clamps. You can make some heat shields and clamp them on the pipe too. Gonna be tight. Fortunately, it doesn't get that hot back there. Unlike a gasser

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

So I finally have time to update. First, never realized how banged up, crimped, squished and whatever else Ram does to the factory pipe to make it sooo screwed up. Made it look like the 4" pipe had lots of room around the airbags. Made me think the 5" would have plenty of clearance. Had I known, I would have bought a 4" instead.

I had three places the pipe was actually hitting. About 4-5" of the pipe at the top of the arch over the rear axle was making contact with the airbag cover. It also contacted the pan hard bar mount and spare tire heat shield. Over the arch I was able to flatten the pipe enough to clear. Pushed it in about 1 /12". By not getting greedy with each blow of the hammer I was able to keep it really smooth. Only took about ten minutes. It now clears by a little over an inch. The pan hard bar mount was one simple smack in the exact place it hit. Doesn't even rattle on start up or shut down now. The spare tire heat shield was cleared by making adjustments to the pipe. I was in a hurry and forgot to take pics at the time. Sorry.

Worst part of the job was getting my spare tire down. Hadn't had it down since I put on a Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar. Took some convincing to clear it and the receiver hitch.

Thanks for the help and comments everyone!

14. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

So I finally have time to update. First, never realized how banged up, crimped, squished and whatever else Ram does to the factory pipe to make it sooo screwed up. Made it look like the 4" pipe had lots of room around the airbags. Made me think the 5" would have plenty of clearance. Had I known, I would have bought a 4" instead.

I had three places the pipe was actually hitting. About 4-5" of the pipe at the top of the arch over the rear axle was making contact with the airbag cover. It also contacted the pan hard bar mount and spare tire heat shield. Over the arch I was able to flatten the pipe enough to clear. Pushed it in about 1 /12". By not getting greedy with each blow of the hammer I was able to keep it really smooth. Only took about ten minutes. It now clears by a little over an inch. The pan hard bar mount was one simple smack in the exact place it hit. Doesn't even rattle on start up or shut down now. The spare tire heat shield was cleared by making adjustments to the pipe. I was in a hurry and forgot to take pics at the time. Sorry.

Worst part of the job was getting my spare tire down. Hadn't had it down since I put on a Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar. Took some convincing to clear it and the receiver hitch.

Thanks for the help and comments everyone!
    Great job sounds like you did good work

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

So I'm about to be doing the whole delete process as well. 2018 2500, with the auto level rear air suspension. I will have to it seems, for now, just go ahead and install the turbo back portion of my 5" but only up till the section that needs to go over the axle and around the air bags. I know that this issue has been discussed by DRD's video, but was looking for any additional information that may be out there on this topic.

Here's my question though. If I were to install a simple 1.5-2" rear bag spacer lift would I be able to avoid having to indent the exhaust piping? It seems to me the "alternate trailer height" drop is what seemingly is causing most of the fuss. Would this eliminate the need to dent in the side of my pipe? If this is the case then adding a leveling kit and something like Kelderman's or even a 4" BDS lift with the 3.5" rear spacers would eliminate the need to mess up my new exhaust....

Thanks for any advice!

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I've got a 2018 Longbed with airbags, Torklift load stabilizers, factory gooseneck hitch, 35" spare tire and my 5" exhaust fit perfect with no modifications or dents made to it.
    Just a fyi for those wondering about fitment with regular airbags.

20. Thanks 1070Ryan thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, 1070Ryan liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast