Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Deleted Towing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Deleted Towing

Hi guys, used the search function but didn't find what I was looking for. I usually tow around 1900-2000 rpms (locking out 6th) and I'm going to be pulling 13k lbs for the next 7 days (a good amount of steep hills). Now that I'm deleted there shouldn't be any issues with running my truck that way still I'd assume correct? Also, anyone else in the same weight and rpm can let me know what their EGTs are? Thanks!

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Deleted Towing

Quote Originally Posted by Reesie View Post
    Hi guys, used the search function but didn't find what I was looking for. I usually tow around 1900-2000 rpms (locking out 6th) and I'm going to be pulling 13k lbs for the next 7 days (a good amount of steep hills). Now that I'm deleted there shouldn't be any issues with running my truck that way still I'd assume correct? Also, anyone else in the same weight and rpm can let me know what their EGTs are? Thanks!
    We tow a fifth wheel at around 15k lbs and are full-time RVers, so we tow a lot. I, like you, tow at around 1900-2100 rpm and lock out 6th gear. Typically see EGTs anywhere between 750-850 under easy conditions (flat with little wind). Pulling grades, I just try and keep it below 11-1200. If it goes higher, I back out of it and go down another gear. Truck is a 2010 dually 3.73 gearing, RaceMe Ultra with the Box tunes. I run stock power.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Reesie thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I appreciate it. Sounds like what I've been doing. Some of the hills are so steep that I put it in 4th a lot. Thanks.

6. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
    Likes Bobtipton, walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I appreciate it. Sounds like what I've been doing. Some of the hills are so steep that I put it in 4th a lot. Thanks.
    You don't need to lock out on level Terrain. A good gauge is to watch your EGT's. If they crawl up to 1000, then lock out. If you'r hitting small hills and wows in the road at high speeds. You're fine in lock. The EGT's are the secret. As long as you're keeping the EGT's down, you're not stressing the trans. I'm assuming you have a 6.7. Low EGT's are trans friendly too.

Don't forget, locking out all the time, raises trans temps too. You're taking a chance of overheating when you need to lock out for long pulls up steep mountains. Keep that in mind

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks Reesie, RT76 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, RT76, Yamahamod liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yeah my EGT probe is in the mail but wont arrive before I leave and I do have a 6.7. Most of my drive down is hills in Canada. I do about 57mph in 4th (around 2k rpm) during steep hills and my trans temp goes from 167 to 165. I believe even my coolant temp goes down too a little. Trans goes up to about 170 sometimes when I'm in 5th. 6th I just always felt wasnt needed since I dont go fast enough for it and the road I'm going on isn't flat too much. I'm not sure how accurate my trans temp display is but seems it runs the coolest in 4th at 2k rpm. Let me know what you think, thanks.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yeah my EGT probe is in the mail but wont arrive before I leave and I do have a 6.7. Most of my drive down is hills in Canada. I do about 57mph in 4th (around 2k rpm) during steep hills and my trans temp goes from 167 to 165. I believe even my coolant temp goes down too a little. Trans goes up to about 170 sometimes when I'm in 5th. 6th I just always felt wasnt needed since I dont go fast enough for it and the road I'm going on isn't flat too much. I'm not sure how accurate my trans temp display is but seems it runs the coolest in 4th at 2k rpm. Let me know what you think, thanks.
    It's been a while since I have had a 68RFE trans. I had an 08, but dumped it for my current ride, the green machine. I love this truck. It will be a towers dream when I sell it.

I think, and maybe some can confirm or correct me, the torque converter locks up after 3rd gear on the 68's. It releases during shifts to prevent chatter. That would attribute to the lower temps you are experiencing. It didn't dawn on me until I saw your temps. My trans runs at 120-140 on the flats locked and goes up to 180-190 on long pulls out of OD. But that also disconnects my converter lockup. If you have already experienced temps like that then you're good. I also run faster with 11-12K in tow. I can hold 120-140* in OD on flats. There is virtually no slip in my trans and converter. I built it that way a couple of years ago.

Lower engine temps means you're not lugging the engine.While the diesel delivers way more torque than gas, it shouldn't be lugged. The lugging and temps reduce the efficiency. It's a fine balance. 1500 to 1600 RPM is optimum on these Cummins engines. Known as the sweet spot. I might suggest you raise the speed to 60 MPH and utilize the trans in tow mode. You still have control of the transmission speeds. The slightly higher speed is still safe and reduces the lugging on the wows in the road. I'm familiar with that kind of road. We have them here too.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Thanks Noneck thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, mdg66 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The 68RFE will lock the converter in 3rd gear and all taller gears. 5th and 6th are both overdrives and are both significantly more likely to burn up their clutches than 4th or 3rd.

I would say as a rule of thumb to tow in 6th gear all most never unless you are only towing a bass boat or something light like that.

If you can pull hills in 5th gear above 1500 rpm without high egts you are probably fine with stock horsepower levels.

If you are going to be lugging lower than 1500 and or the egts are getting high and or the transmission downshifts on its own then manually shift it into 4th for similar grades in the future. Running higher RPM up the hill in a lower gear hurts nothing. Running lower rpm in a higher gear has potential to hurt things so always default to the lower gear when in doubt.

When possible manually make the downshift before you start climbing a hill that way the shift is done and the converter is locked before you start pulling the grade, that is just easier on everything.

Also keep in mind that the converter will not lock in 1st or 2nd gear. So if you find yourself in a situation where you cannot go fast enough to use 3rd gear locked up you want to keep a close eye on tranny temps, they can and will climb fast in those situations.

This is not gospel, it is just my advice and it is worth exactly what you paid for it!

14. Thanks BuellBlackbelt, mdg66 thanked for this post