Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Exhaust brake use

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Exhaust brake use

I was told, that its helps to keep DPF cleaner, is to run the exhaust brake frequently ? I typically only use it with load down hill .. Thoughts ??

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust brake use

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    I was told, that its helps to keep DPF cleaner, is to run the exhaust brake frequently ? I typically only use it with load down hill .. Thoughts ??
    Not the DPF, keeps the vanes in the turbo cleaner.

This stuff keeps it trouble free, but you must use it on a regular basis. There's another thread about this stuff running now too. read up on it

https://www.amazon.com/Archoil-AR620...ywords=archoil

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

so how often do you turn it on ? all the time ?

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I run Diesel Kleen

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

so how often do you turn it on ? all the time ?
    Leave it on all the time is the best.

I run Diesel Kleen
    This stuff kicks Diesel kleens butt and is allot less expensive to use. You need 2 ounces to treat a whole tank vs a pint of DK. Also Diesel Kleen doesn't keep the carbon in check. It's just a fuel system cleaner. Read the archoil propaganda. it's true. Arch modifies the fuel. Read the other thread I suggested before you engrave that DK into the fenders. I'v ebeen doing this for a week and a half now. LOL

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The exhaust brake is not a exhaust brake typical of what is found if you were to go buy an after market kit in that there is not a gate valve in the exhaust pipe that when closed creates back pressure and thus slowing the engine....in Dodges with the exhaust brake button, the feature helps to slow the truck, but does so by using the variable geometry turbo (VGT) and closing down and restricting air in the turbo housing.....in either case the exhaust brake still eventually allows the exhaust to flow through the pipe thus flowing through the DPF and depositing soot....so exhaust brake will not help keep the DPF clean. HOWEVER, using the VGT exhaust break feature will cause the VGT nozzle to slide back and forth more than if you did not activate the brake button, helping to scrape some soot deposit off the VGT nozzle and helping it to stay cleaner.

12. Likes Power247, BadLuckAintNoCrime liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

at 4:30 shows how the VGT is working.....and the sliding help to keep it cleaner. I turn my brake button on right after I start my truck each time.

14. Likes walla2k5, Power247 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eboliphant View Post
    The exhaust brake is not a exhaust brake typical of what is found if you were to go buy an after market kit in that there is not a gate valve in the exhaust pipe that when closed creates back pressure and thus slowing the engine....in Dodges with the exhaust brake button, the feature helps to slow the truck, but does so by using the variable geometry turbo (VGT) and closing down and restricting air in the turbo housing.....in either case the exhaust brake still eventually allows the exhaust to flow through the pipe thus flowing through the DPF and depositing soot....so exhaust brake will not help keep the DPF clean. HOWEVER, using the VGT exhaust break feature will cause the VGT nozzle to slide back and forth more than if you did not activate the brake button, helping to scrape some soot deposit off the VGT nozzle and helping it to stay cleaner.
    You are 100% correct. However, it's my policy not to correct something like that to avoid confusion. Have started with these brand new in 07, the process has evolved. Have you ever heard it working on a cold engine? It's actually a emissions device. It's there to warm the engine up faster to reduce emissions. It creates a back pressure which warms the cylinders up. The function also came in handy as an exhaust brake and is quite effective. However, it is not as effective as a real flapper or an original Jake Brake. The function is there, why not use it?

The best policy is to just let it run all the time. That Archoil helps prevent the heavy carbon deposits on the VGT plate.

16. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I leave mine on all the time. I like to save the brakes as much as possible.

2014 2500 Granite Chrystal Clearcoat, DRD full delete package with the full switch tunes. S&B cold air intake, custom made race pipe with a 6" tip, Headlight Revolution LED v.4s, aftermarket egr delete, fleece fuel filter delete kit.

18. Likes watersupply189, Polaraco liked this post