Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Turbo Problems

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo Problems

Hello, every one I'm new here but I need some help. I have a13 Ram 3500 Dually with a 6.7 Cummins and G56 trans. The truck is completely stock. The truck has a check engine light on for a bad NOX sensor so I don't know how long it could have been on before I noticed the loss of power. I noticed that the truck lost power and the exhaust brake quit working and the most boost it will build is about 8-10 psi. The check engine light is a P003A turbo boost control extending learned limit and P2493 EGR cooler bypass position sensor. Everything I have read says that you may be able to clean the turbo but that may only fix it for a short while.

The other alternative is a new turbo. I would like to go back with the factory turbo at this time and have found several but that is where the confusion comes in. On Diesel Power Products they list one for a 07.5-12 and one for a 07.5-18 with a huge price difference. My question is what is the difference between the two? Can the cheaper of the two be made to work? Is it just a plug that is different or different calibration? Is there any way to make this work or is the only way up buy the one that is almost double the cost? Also is there anywhere better to get a turbo? This one seems a little difficult to find.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully share some insight into this problem.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo Problems

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I'm not looking forward to the day I'm in your shoes. I'd PM Clayton @Dude's Diesel Performance, he's a vendor here and can help you make the right decision. keep us posted on your findings.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by R&R View Post
    Hello, every one I'm new here but I need some help. I have a13 Ram 3500 Dually with a 6.7 Cummins and G56 trans. The truck is completely stock. The truck has a check engine light on for a bad NOX sensor so I don't know how long it could have been on before I noticed the loss of power. I noticed that the truck lost power and the exhaust brake quit working and the most boost it will build is about 8-10 psi. The check engine light is a P003A turbo boost control extending learned limit and P2493 EGR cooler bypass position sensor. Everything I have read says that you may be able to clean the turbo but that may only fix it for a short while.

The other alternative is a new turbo. I would like to go back with the factory turbo at this time and have found several but that is where the confusion comes in. On Diesel Power Products they list one for a 07.5-12 and one for a 07.5-18 with a huge price difference. My question is what is the difference between the two? Can the cheaper of the two be made to work? Is it just a plug that is different or different calibration? Is there any way to make this work or is the only way up buy the one that is almost double the cost? Also is there anywhere better to get a turbo? This one seems a little difficult to find.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully share some insight into this problem.
    Sorry your having issues. Welcome to the forum. I agree contact DDP. See what he can do for you. He’s great guy and will bend over backwards to help you friend.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guys. I sent him a message and waiting to hear back.

Do you think it is okay to run it like it is?

It runs fine just not much power, especially in higher gears.

Cruising at 70mph it will sometimes run about 1 or 2 psi and getting up to speed it will peak at about 8psi.

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! Very much appreciated!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Dont forget to delete some messages as well so i can respond back to ya bud.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I'd fix the cel first, either replace sensor or delete it.

If it's derating because of the emissions fault it will display that behaviour and won't boost....

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

A friend just went through this with his 15 and G56 truck. Dealer looked into the computer and saw he was never really working the truck, therefore the turbo was not going through its full movement. His truck was 100% stock and it was repaired under warranty.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yes fix the sensor. You may be able to just clean it. Try that first.

You can get a couple of cans of sea foam and dribble them into the intake so it will pas through and open up those vanes. try to dribble enough so that the engine barely starts to run a bit rough. Not too fast, you don't want any hydraulics.

If I remember right, there is still a DPF on that. if that gets clogged, you'll get the same effect. No boost and power. If you can get the sea foam through, throw 2 more in the tank and take it for a ride. I mean a long ride and drive it like you stole it. You might get it opened up without mechanical intervention. I did that on my neighbors ford and it worked.

I suggest you get the Archoil decarboning agent. That works better than the seabreeze. Start using their fuel additive too. When you get this opened up again, you'll never see it again with that stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Archoil-AR6400-D-Professional-Cleaner-Gallons/dp/B072BWR7J3/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1531837102&sr=8-16&keywords=archoil

https://www.amazon.com/Archoil-AR6200-16-9-ounces-Treatment/dp/B005WWP99S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=153747878 1&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=archoil&psc=1

The fuel additive looks expensive, but you only use a little bit per tank. The guys on the forum who use it experience no problems with their trucks. I've been using it for 5 years now and it just keeps getting better and better.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

18. Likes watersupply189, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post