Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPad Dash

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: iPad Dash

Quote Originally Posted by NOVAK View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4989de04f8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7bfddbb62c.jpg

I got it all installed. Initially I thought I had a power issue as if I arched the power wire and popped the fuse but I had power to the new harness and my soldier and shrink wrap wa son point......forgot to plug in the interface
    The interface I chose was from Axxess. It’s super simple and maintains all factory chimes and alarms! The kit comes with two harness’s one is gonna be for you Laramie OR SLT with GPS. You just pick the harness that mates with your factory plug and disregard the small 4 pin.
    I did keep the other harness and wiring diagram although I can never use it on my truck we all have friends that may need it and I’m keep the diagram because I’ve learned one important thing after a week of using the iPad.....I need steering wheel controls ASAP. I’m digging in on that. I know the harness and parts I need just need to find the time! All in all I’m happy with the finished product and it’s original and I’m proud to say my first taste of interior molding turned out good enough for others around me to asked for help on their own which I take as a compliment. Even though I cut 4 snaps out of the dash with the weight of iPad mount and the iPad itself the bezel sits in there tighter than it did factory. The guy that owned this truck never took anything apart and you can tell because everything is nice and tight! The deck is just a Kenwood with satellite radio front and rear USB ports and Bluetooth calling. I installed the mic on the top left pillar and it’s transfers sound nicely and if you get a call during your iPad usage it automatically pauses all functions and puts the call out for you to answer. My windows are painted so I don’t get much day time glare and the iPad is on half dim so it doesn’t blind me at night!

So if your a guy with a Laramie looking to do this you are one step ahead if you have an SLT do some digging on steering wheel control conversions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That looks really good man!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4989de04f8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7bfddbb62c.jpg

I got it all installed. Initially I thought I had a power issue as if I arched the power wire and popped the fuse but I had power to the new harness and my soldier and shrink wrap wa son point......forgot to plug in the interface
    The interface I chose was from Axxess. It’s super simple and maintains all factory chimes and alarms! The kit comes with two harness’s one is gonna be for you Laramie OR SLT with GPS. You just pick the harness that mates with your factory plug and disregard the small 4 pin.
    I did keep the other harness and wiring diagram although I can never use it on my truck we all have friends that may need it and I’m keep the diagram because I’ve learned one important thing after a week of using the iPad.....I need steering wheel controls ASAP. I’m digging in on that. I know the harness and parts I need just need to find the time! All in all I’m happy with the finished product and it’s original and I’m proud to say my first taste of interior molding turned out good enough for others around me to asked for help on their own which I take as a compliment. Even though I cut 4 snaps out of the dash with the weight of iPad mount and the iPad itself the bezel sits in there tighter than it did factory. The guy that owned this truck never took anything apart and you can tell because everything is nice and tight! The deck is just a Kenwood with satellite radio front and rear USB ports and Bluetooth calling. I installed the mic on the top left pillar and it’s transfers sound nicely and if you get a call during your iPad usage it automatically pauses all functions and puts the call out for you to answer. My windows are painted so I don’t get much day time glare and the iPad is on half dim so it doesn’t blind me at night!

So if your a guy with a Laramie looking to do this you are one step ahead if you have an SLT do some digging on steering wheel control conversions!

Really nice work man! Well done!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

That looks awesome! I'm just curious... I know the the charger data connectors on my devices tend to wear out from plugging and unplugging them. Can you replace that part easily? I don't have any apple devices, maybe the charging devices don't wear out like the mini USB type?

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ed's2013Ram3500 View Post
    That looks awesome! I'm just curious... I know the the charger data connectors on my devices tend to wear out from plugging and unplugging them. Can you replace that part easily? I don't have any apple devices, maybe the charging devices don't wear out like the mini USB type?
    For the most part they are easy. Just some needle nose pliers and kinda break it loose from the glue. I actually had to swap out the one I originally installed because with the usb extension off the Kenwood and the long lightning cord it was just too much wire. So I used an lightning cord that was about 3” long instead.

8. Thanks Ed's2013Ram3500 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

That looks badass, nice work!

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Great workmanship there Novak..

Ive been going round and round about where to install gauges in my 97, and all ideas require hacking and custom work. Then I considered the edge insight and buy eas sensors for all my vitals, but then read many terrible reviews about the insight locking up, turning off and decided not to.

I also need a new stereo and always thought a tablet would be neat, so is there a way I could get engine vitals from sensors and read them on the tablet without auto meter Bluetooth?

And is using a regular car head unit the "norm" when using a tablet in a car? What other interfaces could be used, or is it just the best choice?

Thanks!

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rebar View Post
    Great workmanship there Novak..

Ive been going round and round about where to install gauges in my 97, and all ideas require hacking and custom work. Then I considered the edge insight and buy eas sensors for all my vitals, but then read many terrible reviews about the insight locking up, turning off and decided not to.

I also need a new stereo and always thought a tablet would be neat, so is there a way I could get engine vitals from sensors and read them on the tablet without auto meter Bluetooth?

And is using a regular car head unit the "norm" when using a tablet in a car? What other interfaces could be used, or is it just the best choice?

Thanks!

I used an Edge in my Duramax’s in the past with probes and such and never had any issue. The screens go black and all you do is simply tap the screen to turn the monitor on, I too thought for the longest time that it was shutting down on me randomly so I would unplug and plug it back in but in all reality I just needed to tap the screen to “wake up” the monitor. I liked the CTS for pulling codes when they pop up on long road trips.
    If you don’t want Bluetooth but you don’t want a hardwired monitor then I’m not sure you can do anything unless you went mechanical gauges. The only other option would be PLX which uses a patented “daisy chain” so that one probe jumps to a junction box to another probe. Their web page is confusing af so I suggest calling them for the most accurate info.
    The iPad dash requires a radio to function and communicate with your amps, speakers tweets etc. without a radio behind the iPad then that would require a whole new box of worms that I never considered because essentially you are practically hand building an interface for your truck which just sounds like BCM problems down the road to me.
    The iPad dash seems crazy confusing but literally it is no different than if I just had a kenwood deck with a usb cord hanging out the front that is used to play music. I haven’t put a deck in a 2nd gen in a long time but I’m pretty sure they don’t require an interface, the 03’+ require an interface so that the steering wheel and radio communicate also along with automatic sounds like a door chime or check engine light chime or low fuel chime.

14. Thanks rebar thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I used an Edge in my Duramax’s in the past with probes and such and never had any issue. The screens go black and all you do is simply tap the screen to turn the monitor on.
    The iPad dash requires a radio to function and communicate with your amps, speakers tweets etc. without a radio behind the iPad then that would require a whole new box of worms
    The edge would annoy me.. Unless it wakes up when the programmable alarm set-points trip?

As far as the ipad, I don't want to reinvent the wheel either. Did you pick kenwood because they work best with apple products? I'm thinking the tablet may be better off mounted on a Ram adjustable arm to tilt it straight at me.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

nice dash work what do ya got behind you? db?

18. Top Of Page | #20
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rebar View Post
    The edge would annoy me.. Unless it wakes up when the programmable alarm set-points trip?

As far as the ipad, I don't want to reinvent the wheel either. Did you pick kenwood because they work best with apple products? I'm thinking the tablet may be better off mounted on a Ram adjustable arm to tilt it straight at me.

On decks your pigeon holed to those that offer a REAR USB, that’s the only must have. Other than that I just looked up a couple different models and this one was cheap af and has Bluetooth calling. They have adjustable mounts but I’m not sure on quality among those
    Just used it on a 25 hour round trip and my family binge watched Breaking Bad. But that was 15G of data i pay for unlimited and Verizon best believe I’m gonna find the fine print limits of unlimited data.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast