Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Oil Pan Gasket

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil Pan Gasket

I know the correct way to do this is to lift the engine and slide the pan out, but can you replace the gasket by fishing it through the small gap when you drop the pan on the crossmember??

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Pan Gasket

Quote Originally Posted by Chitty86 View Post
    I know the correct way to do this is to lift the engine and slide the pan out, but can you replace the gasket by fishing it through the small gap when you drop the pan on the crossmember??
    I have never done one so I dont know for sure. But having done plenty of oil pans. It would be pretty tough i'm sure there is an oil pickup tube at the deep side of the pan that would keep you from getting close and there isnt much room.Hopefully someone here will have a better answer for you that has done them before.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

3. Likes 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

There is the oil pump suction tube in the back as mentioned and the suction screen attached to it, about 1/4" from the bottom.
    I wouldn't even try this myself. Raise the engine and drop the pain is the safest and best method.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
    Likes 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I was a little curious today so I looked up the repair procedure. According to prodemand the way they want you to do it. Is remove the transmission. Then drop the pan. And take off the oil suction tube and slide the pan out the back. Also a heads up. There is a tsb for repeat oil pan gasket leaks for those trucks. I dont remember exactly what it was. But they want you to spray some gasket adhesive onto the new gasket when you replace it. Just a heads up if you do replace it and dont wanna do it again.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

7. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    I was a little curious today so I looked up the repair procedure. According to prodemand the way they want you to do it. Is remove the transmission. Then drop the pan. And take off the oil suction tube and slide the pan out the back. Also a heads up. There is a tsb for repeat oil pan gasket leaks for those trucks. I dont remember exactly what it was. But they want you to spray some gasket adhesive onto the new gasket when you replace it. Just a heads up if you do replace it and dont wanna do it again.
    Damn! Should have done the son's when we had the trans being rebuilt last month... oh well, maybe next time, thanks for the info!

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    Damn! Should have done the son's when we had the trans being rebuilt last month... oh well, maybe next time, thanks for the info!
    LOL hopefully you wont have to pull it for awhile LOL. Any time a trans is coming out it means some $$ is getting spent.