Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tone change after egr delete

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Tone change after egr delete

Sorry about the double post, was trying to edit my typos. Caveman can't figure it out on the phone.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

This is a good thread. Depending on what you're looking for, good to know I can run it simply unplugged for a while to spread out the funds then remove & plate it and even get something out of it! My question is when you guys have ran it tuned & pipe deleted with the EGR unplugged do you have to take the plunger out to or not?

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cammyc24 View Post
    This is a good thread. Depending on what you're looking for, good to know I can run it simply unplugged for a while to spread out the funds then remove & plate it and even get something out of it! My question is when you guys have ran it tuned & pipe deleted with the EGR unplugged do you have to take the plunger out to or not?
    I ran mine for almost a year by just unplugging it, didnt remove the plunger.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

Is there a way to make the exhaust quieter? I had the same type of timeline where I ran with just the new exhaust for a week and then took off the egr stuff. Now my exhaust has more of a hollow rattle can sound and before it was just a nice rumble. I also seem to have a lot of exhaust smell. I knew there would be some, but it is almost enough that you can’t stand by the truck if it’s running.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tcreamer View Post
    Is there a way to make the exhaust quieter? I had the same type of timeline where I ran with just the new exhaust for a week and then took off the egr stuff. Now my exhaust has more of a hollow rattle can sound and before it was just a nice rumble. I also seem to have a lot of exhaust smell. I knew there would be some, but it is almost enough that you can’t stand by the truck if it’s running.

What's on the exhaust now? A resonator? A muffler? Both. A resonator cuts down on the rough sounds, the peaks of the sound, smooths out the ruff sound. A muffler will quiet down the whole sound. The aftermaket mufflers will try and to give a loud rumble. But how quiet is the concern. Every muffler has a unique sound.

Don't be turned off to putting the factory type muffler back on. The factory muffler isn't removing as much sound as you think, but will be little more quieter than aftermarket. Most of the noise suppression is being done by the parts in front of the muffler anyway.

It will still give a nice sound and should be neighbor friendly.

JMHO.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 05-04-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added to reply

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

10. Thanks tcreamer thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, RamHunter18, tcreamer liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Remember, every piece that is connected to the exhaust in some way has an effect to the sound coming out the tail pipe. You have the Cat right after the turbo exhuast, then the DPF, then the NOX, then the muffler. Each piece that is removed will make the exhaust louder.

Under the hood you have the EGR and Cooler. A percentage of the exhuast goes through there as well. All these pieces in place or not will have an effect on sound quaility and loudness.

If you are happy with the sound on your system and still have the EGR cooler in place, i would leave it alone. As others have removed the EGR cooler, it has now altered their sound. Some will like it while others will not, same goes for the neighbors.

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

12. Thanks watersupply189, tcreamer thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, tcreamer liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I had a good (to me) turbo whistle at idle until I deleted the EGR and now it’s gone.

Wish I had it back!!

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12