Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Transmission for hauling rebuild questions

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Transmission for hauling rebuild questions

I have a 03 3500 4x4 with 180,xxx. Truck runs like a top but I’ve noticed the transmission is starting to slip and I’m getting real bad turbo bark when I let off and shift under load. I just bought a 38’ toy hauler so I know I’m going to need a transmission any time now. My question is what should I look at putting in my transmission parts wise. I’m hoping to buy all the parts over the next few months and then when I have a chance pull the transmission and send it in. Then it won’t be such a hit on the pocket book and I can do it when it works for me. The truck is stock besides 5” exhaust and some in line fuel filter kit. The only thing I plan on upgrading is possibly the turbo to get rid of the bark. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission for hauling rebuild questions

Quote Originally Posted by flashflood394 View Post
    I have a 03 3500 4x4 with 180,xxx. Truck runs like a top but I’ve noticed the transmission is starting to slip and I’m getting real bad turbo bark when I let off and shift under load. I just bought a 38’ toy hauler so I know I’m going to need a transmission any time now. My question is what should I look at putting in my transmission parts wise. I’m hoping to buy all the parts over the next few months and then when I have a chance pull the transmission and send it in. Then it won’t be such a hit on the pocket book and I can do it when it works for me. The truck is stock besides 5” exhaust and some in line fuel filter kit. The only thing I plan on upgrading is possibly the turbo to get rid of the bark. Thanks

What tranny is in it?

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins-fan View Post
    What tranny is in it?
    Believe it is a 48RE

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Believe it is a 48RE

Sounds right to me

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have a Trans-Go reprogramming kit that will fit your tranny, if you're interested. Bought it for my '96 but then sold the pickup.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have a manual, so i haven't done much research on automatics. I can you to stay away from ATS. Your tranny may be whats causing your turbo bark, so a new turbo wouldn't fix the problem.

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Revmax and Randy's Transmissions are my favorite for parts and pre built transmissions.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Revmax and Randy's Transmissions are my favorite for parts and pre built transmissions.
    I'm the resident trans guy, especially in these 46, 47, 48 RE, RH and 518's I've rebuilt many.

Unless your planning on throwing a bunch of Horse Power on it, or abuse it,

Replace the
    accumulator and front servo plungers with the billet ones. The plastic ones tend to cock in the bores.
    New front pump gears
    bushings and seals
    Upgrade your firctions,
    Upgrade your band frictions
    upgrade the forward band lever hardware, http://www.cascadetransmissionparts....mservokit.aspx (This a whole kit for the front band)
    mild shift kit, You don't want it slamming
    replace the OD sprag
    Theres a few upgrade parts for the OD
    Get the large snap rings new for the OD unit
    and a good dual clutch torque converter at stock stall speed.
    In other words, everything I mentioned and anything you can get to upgrade the OD. I forget all the minor issues the 48's had.

Raise the pressure only a couple of pounds

Make sure the Throttle pressure cable is adjusted properly.

There's an outfit here in Jersey that rebuilds valve bodies. They convert 47 valve bodies to work in 48's. It fixes all the 48 Valve body quirks. Look them up instead of doing a shift kit. I got mine from Cascade Transmission parts. He used to be an advertiser on the forum. I got all my stuff from them, except the converter. I think it Sonnax or something like that. Nice people

They also have a friction modifier that works like a champ. http://www.cascadetransmissionparts....hudderfix.aspx I literally felt the difference.

I redid my trans with everything from Cascade a couple of years ago. That thing runs cooler then the truck because there is no slippage. I cruise at around 140*F with a load. Highest I have ever seen it was 190* running through western North Carolina. Appalatiations My trans seems bullet proof too. I didn't do this one, but I was there helping. It's the 2nd trans I ever sent out. I got burned on the first one I sent out (35 years ago) so I learned how to do them myself until the ol' bone assembly said I'm done. LOL Never lost one either

While RevMax and Randy's are good rebuilders, I suggest a really good local shop. Check reputations. Stay away from the chains like Lee Myles. They have a different mech every week. That way you have total control is something goes wrong.

http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/48re.aspx

I could go on all day. But this is a overview of the important schtuff. It's important to upgrade the stuff you can do with the trans out. Do all that and you'll never need to do it again. Just remember, any trans will die if you continually abuse it. The 48's were pretty stout. They got a bad rap because the won't take a ton of HP and abuse, stock

Lemme know if I can help you any further. If you want, I can help the Dude put together a whole package for you.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Likes walla2k5, Power247 liked this post