Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Bearing Assembly

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Front Bearing Assembly

My front right bearing went bad on my 2014 4x4 at 95,500. So got it replaced today and checked the driver side and it seemed to be fine. I only did the right as I am going on hunting trip and didn't want to spend any more cash than I had to. I replaced with OEM from dealer and did it in my driveway. This brings me to a couple of questions because it's the first I've done on a truck. How long should they last on stock rims and tire size? It's $400 bucks a side and was thinking it should go way past 100k miles on primarily highway miles. Also is there a cheaper but equal quality bearing assembly that I can look into for the drivers side when I do it again. Thanks. Hray

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Front Bearing Assembly

I've actually got the right front hub growling on my truck also. I've got just a hair over 81k on my 2016. But as to answer your questions. In my opinion moog and timken are both solid choices from the aftermarket world on any vehicle. And I know moog offers a lifetime warranty on suspension parts to the original purchaser. So the warranty may be something to look into for both of us. Also as to how long they last. Man it's hard to say, from my experience with the older cummins once it was time to do some ball joints. You were more than likely gonna be replacing the hub assemblies also cuz they got fubar'ed trying to get them out. ( some of them trucks the hubs might as well be welded in the knuckle).

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

From my experience with my 2005 i had, 100k you can start looking at replacing front end components. Remember there’s a heavy Cummins motor right over all the moving parts. I replaced my wheel bearing assembly with SKF and they make a great product. Like mentioned earlier I don’t think you can go wrong with Timkin or Moog products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hray View Post
    My front right bearing went bad on my 2014 4x4 at 95,500. So got it replaced today and checked the driver side and it seemed to be fine. I only did the right as I am going on hunting trip and didn't want to spend any more cash than I had to. I replaced with OEM from dealer and did it in my driveway. This brings me to a couple of questions because it's the first I've done on a truck. How long should they last on stock rims and tire size? It's $400 bucks a side and was thinking it should go way past 100k miles on primarily highway miles. Also is there a cheaper but equal quality bearing assembly that I can look into for the drivers side when I do it again. Thanks. Hray
    Just put a hub assembly on this past weekend. Was 214$ shipped for a timken from rockauto for future reference.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies and did find rockauto. Now that I have better educated my self in them I'll do my best from paying the dealer prices thanks Hray.

8. Thanks Dwelsh, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hray View Post
    Thanks for the replies and did find rockauto. Now that I have better educated my self in them I'll do my best from paying the dealer prices thanks Hray.
    Timken is the OEM manufacturer for Chrysler. SKF makes the internal beatings for the American Rears. I'm thinking the outer bearing is the Timken. It's going to be 1/2 the price. I'll tell you, the best deal I found on the Timken stuff is on Amazon, believe it or not. My front wheel bearings were 60 bucks less there than anywhere else. But I have a RWD. It's the same bearing as yours without the hole in the middle.

Another engineer I know in the industry told me to squirt more grease in the bearings through the brake sensor hole. You'll need a needle injector for the grease gun. The pink grease is good for that and steering joints. This is the same guy that makes the Shibby Engineering air horns and delete kits. He also designed the brake systems on the 3rd gen 25 and 3500's.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #7

I did both sides around 80k on my 2011.

Also if you pull the bearing assemblies out, its a good idea to change your U Joints on your front shafts.

All from RockAuto.

The U joints from the dealer are over $100 but like $35 on RockAuto.

11. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Like others said, Moog and Timken are quality and reasonably priced.

Usually an eBay search can find them for a song.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

13. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40, AK Bob liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Just replaced with Timken very smooth replacement other than the axle nut.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore View Post
    Just replaced with Timken very smooth replacement other than the axle nut.
    The axle nut can be a pain.

Buying the correct socket to fit the nut is worth every penny.

I have used chisels and hammer to loosen them and tighten back up but using the correct size socket makes the job so much easier.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast