Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Wide band

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Wide band

I’m currently molding and IPad dash on my 3rd gen. I want to use Auto meter’s dash link for gauges however they only tap into the factory wide band and they don’t have compatibility for additional gauges/sensor through auto meter to have the data viewed on the iPad display with the other factory wide band sensors and parameters. So does anyone know if you can add sensors to the factory wide band?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Wide band

Hope you get this figured out. Putting an iPad in the dash sounds like a cool project. Post some pics of the process at some point. We'd like to see how you made it all fit.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Definitely want to see the results and how too’s on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 RAM 2500, MM3/DRD, 625 ARP Studs, RevMax VB

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Following this one

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Likes david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NOVAK View Post
    I’m currently molding and IPad dash on my 3rd gen. I want to use Auto meter’s dash link for gauges however they only tap into the factory wide band and they don’t have compatibility for additional gauges/sensor through auto meter to have the data viewed on the iPad display with the other factory wide band sensors and parameters. So does anyone know if you can add sensors to the factory wide band?
    Good luck and like everyone else very interested to see what you come up with

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

So adding to what the ECU knows, and sees, is VERY VERY hard. Can be done, but requires in depth programming knowledge. Chrysler has their own methods. I deciphered enough to send and receive commands when playing with this on my 03. There is a thread about my raspberry pi system I started. I never did properly install it. as for adding to what the ECU knows, you must tell it, via programming language it knows and recognizes what you are adding, where it is getting the information, and what to do with it. This is likely easier than figuring out how to get additional information into the ECU, example, where to put the EGT sensor so it tells the ECU. Finding someone who knows this side of the ECU programming is difficult, as this is not tuning level, or parameter changine, this is full on program altering.

At that level of ECU programming, one simple mistake can screw everything up. Example a - where it should be a - (yes they are different) can ruin everything. I have seen an extra space at the end of a line cause a program not to run. I have seen a misplaced descmil point destroy a million dollar CNC machine.

I will gladly offer you any of my notes I still have from the Raspberry pi, if I can find the thumb drive that has everything on it. (it should all be in 1 box) and its in the area of 100gb of pictures, diagrams, notes, code, and such. I did not delve in to the point of adding features to the ECU.

TLR Possible yes, is the time invested with the outcome, NO.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

12. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    So adding to what the ECU knows, and sees, is VERY VERY hard. Can be done, but requires in depth programming knowledge. Chrysler has their own methods. I deciphered enough to send and receive commands when playing with this on my 03. There is a thread about my raspberry pi system I started. I never did properly install it. as for adding to what the ECU knows, you must tell it, via programming language it knows and recognizes what you are adding, where it is getting the information, and what to do with it. This is likely easier than figuring out how to get additional information into the ECU, example, where to put the EGT sensor so it tells the ECU. Finding someone who knows this side of the ECU programming is difficult, as this is not tuning level, or parameter changine, this is full on program altering.

At that level of ECU programming, one simple mistake can screw everything up. Example a - where it should be a - (yes they are different) can ruin everything. I have seen an extra space at the end of a line cause a program not to run. I have seen a misplaced descmil point destroy a million dollar CNC machine.

I will gladly offer you any of my notes I still have from the Raspberry pi, if I can find the thumb drive that has everything on it. (it should all be in 1 box) and its in the area of 100gb of pictures, diagrams, notes, code, and such. I did not delve in to the point of adding features to the ECU.

TLR Possible yes, is the time invested with the outcome, NO.
    If I’m smelling what you’re cooking you mean it can be done but it’s essentially training the truck from infancy to achieve additional wind band parameters. Have you seen daisy chains by companies like PLX? Their Bluetooth OBD reader is pretty much the same thing as the Autometer. I did my homework on PLX and I’m still scratching my head one two things
    Who’s PLX?
    How does their daisy chain communicate data to the OBD without a direct hard line like you would see on something common like a Edge CTS or CS.

To anyone who may not know their daisy chain is essentially you have a sensor and from there the communication wire goes so a small box where you can somehow connect to the ECU, and also connect a jump line to another one of their sensors. So an example could be you have your PLX trans temp sensor, connected to a PLX line pressure sensor connected to a PLX EGT probe line then to a PLX boost pressure sensor then onto the ECU. I’m not a programmer by any sense but the only thing I can think of is a OBD cross over than can communicate simultaneously to the OBD and then to the PLX receiver.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NOVAK View Post
    If I’m smelling what you’re cooking you mean it can be done but it’s essentially training the truck from infancy to achieve additional wind band parameters. Have you seen daisy chains by companies like PLX? Their Bluetooth OBD reader is pretty much the same thing as the Autometer. I did my homework on PLX and I’m still scratching my head one two things
    Who’s PLX?
    How does their daisy chain communicate data to the OBD without a direct hard line like you would see on something common like a Edge CTS or CS.

To anyone who may not know their daisy chain is essentially you have a sensor and from there the communication wire goes so a small box where you can somehow connect to the ECU, and also connect a jump line to another one of their sensors. So an example could be you have your PLX trans temp sensor, connected to a PLX line pressure sensor connected to a PLX EGT probe line then to a PLX boost pressure sensor then onto the ECU. I’m not a programmer by any sense but the only thing I can think of is a OBD cross over than can communicate simultaneously to the OBD and then to the PLX receiver.

Not even retraining the truck, deeper than that. For lack of a better analogy, the program to run the truck and what the tuner works with is like a computer program. The programming you have to change to do this is like the operating system on that computer. If you install a new piece of hardware, you need driver to tell the computer how to communicate with it. Same here, the ECU would need to know how to talk to it and what to do with it.

As for the PLX, I know very little about it. An ECU only has certain options enabled. Example, the 10-12 4th gens it is not enabled to allow the Exaust Brake state to be stored when truck is off, but a 13 and up it is. That could be changed on an ECU program level, if you can get in there. The ECU also only knows the same about the gauges. If it does not have a EGT from the factory, and you put one there, you still have to (A) connect it to get it the information and (B) Tell it what to do with the data, Example output to PID 78 (hex) 120 (dec)

An advanced programmer who knows the workings at that level could also do an If Then statement along the lines of below to defuel (This may be able to be done at tuning level just using as an example of possible changes)

If [Value_120_EGT] > 1450 then ([Fuel_rate_value] - decrease to idle

The hard part is getting inside the ECU to that level, and finding someone who knows it. Hence my opinion of: time input < gain

I hope this makes sense.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

16. Likes watersupply189, Power247, NOVAK liked this post