Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need info on H&S mini maxx

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Need info on H&S mini maxx

I just bought a 2012 3500 with an H&S mini maxx installed. This is my 4th cummins since '91 but my first 6.7 and I've NO experience with tuners.

This is essentially my understanding on the status of my truck how I bought it. Note - no emissions testing required in my county:

The egr cooler has been removed and blocked off as well as the egr valve and the DPF filter removed from the exhaust and a straight pipe installed from the turbo back.

The egr and DPF system is deleted using the mini maxx, basically full delete.

I've driven the truck about 500 miles so far and runs great, but gets poor fuel mileage with mini maxx set on STOCK. 14mpg highway,
    and 10mpg pulling an EMPTY 4-horse stock trailer that I can't even feel behind me but apparently the truck knows its there! Tuner set on STOCK. The guy I bought the truck from says he recommends I always leave the tuner set on STOCK even when pulling a trailer. Don't know why.

Anyway, ANY input would be appreciated. Should I set the tuner on TOW when towing? Anything else I should know? Again, I've got zero experience with tuners, but I am interested in good fuel mileage when not towing, and extra power when I need it when towing. That's it! I will frequently tow a 33' 8900lb fifth-wheel toy hauler.

I did find the manual for the tuner online, but it didn't help me.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Need info on H&S mini maxx

Quote Originally Posted by Boycocmd View Post
    I just bought a 2012 3500 with an H&S mini maxx installed. This is my 4th cummins since '91 but my first 6.7 and I've NO experience with tuners.

This is essentially my understanding on the status of my truck how I bought it. Note - no emissions testing required in my county:

The egr cooler has been removed and blocked off as well as the egr valve and the DPF filter removed from the exhaust and a straight pipe installed from the turbo back.

I've driven the truck about 500 miles so far and runs great, but gets poor fuel mileage with mini maxx set on STOCK. 14mpg highway,
    and 10mpg pulling an EMPTY 4-horse stock trailer that I can't even feel behind me but apparently the truck knows its there! Tuner set on STOCK. The guy I bought the truck from says he recommends I always leave the tuner set on STOCK even when pulling a trailer. Don't know why.

Anyway, ANY input would be appreciated. Should I set the tuner on TOW when towing? Anything else I should know? Again, I've got zero experience with tuners, but I am interested in good fuel mileage when not towing, and extra power when I need it when towing. That's it! I will frequently tow a 33' 8900lb fifth-wheel toy hauler.

Thanks!

Your gonna want to get an MM3 tuner from Ray at DRD with custom tuning the MiniMaxx has no more customer support or any other support the MM3 tuner and Rays custom tunes is the best in the buisness hands down

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks!

Hey bud, welcome to the family. You will be fine putting the tuner on tow for towing. Just don't floor board the heck out of it. When i ran mini max on my truck i would run on the full 175hp tune but with that being said i would be super careful when doing so. I wouldn't tow, wouldn't pass people hard, but i also was running 35's.

Just use common sense when bumping up the tuner levels. The higher you go the more lighter on the throttle you need to be.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks Boycocmd thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Been a while since i've used H&S box tunes. You should get a little better mpg with higher tunes... just be easy on the go pedal. With my 2012 I ran 60 for towing and 120 empty. Your mpg pretty much matches what I'm getting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

8. Thanks Boycocmd thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Been a while since i've used H&S box tunes. You should get a little better mpg with higher tunes... just be easy on the go pedal. With my 2012 I ran 60 for towing and 120 empty. Your mpg pretty much matches what I'm getting.

Ok, I feel dumb asking but someone had too, might as well be me! What do you mean "60" towing, and "120" empty?

10. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Ok, I feel dumb asking but someone had too, might as well be me! What do you mean "60" towing, and "120" empty?

Don't ever feel stupid asking a question my friend. Everyone has to learn somehow right? All of us here will gladly teach ya!

So what that means is that you should use a lower tune such as the 60hp tune when towing and when your empty or not towing you can use a higher tune such as a 120hp tune.

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Thanks Boycocmd thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Don't ever feel stupid asking a question my friend. Everyone has to learn somehow right? All of us here will gladly teach ya!

So what that means is that you should use a lower tune such as the 60hp tune when towing and when your empty or not towing you can use a higher tune such as a 120hp tune.
    Aha! Got it. Appreciate the info.
    So I texted the guy I bought the truck from and asked him straight up, why he didn't recommend I use "tow" setting on the tuner. He said because there was no way to check the exhaust gas temperature so he always played it safe.

14. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Aha! Got it. Appreciate the info.
    So I texted the guy I bought the truck from and asked him straight up, why he didn't recommend I use "tow" setting on the tuner. He said because there was no way to check the exhaust gas temperature so he always played it safe.

Ah ok so basically he does not have an egt probe set up. That is definitely an important gauge to monitor.

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yep. I should have been more specific. The Tow tune tune is 30 hp, Mild is 60, Wild is 120, Hot is 175. Keep the additional timing setting on default. The hot tune spiked the egt way too high on my truck.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast