Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help diagnosing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Need help diagnosing

Ok, I need the help of all you gurus! 07.5 2500 G56 deleted w/ 5" TBE and a MiniMAXX 202k miles. Little bit of background...truck runs and drive normal, no unusual smoking or hazing, EGTs are consistenet and the DP reading on the MiniMAXX doesn't climb above 15 PSI. I've been starting to hear one loud "pop" coming from the turbo area. It started making this noise on the highway with the engine at operating temp and the cruise set at 70. It would only happen about once a week or so, but it's progressively becoming more frequent. It's now happening about once a trip and now it's not just at cruising speed. It'll still only pop once and be fine, but it's got me puzzled. Yesterday I rechecked my turbo shaft play and manifold gaskets and noticed cyl 1, 2, and 5 appear to have gaskets starting to separate. So on to the my question, other than the fact it has 202k miles, what could realistically cause exhaust gaskets to separate and start leaking?

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Need help diagnosing

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Welcome to the family
    Thanks.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jvoelker View Post
    Ok, I need the help of all you gurus! 07.5 2500 G56 deleted w/ 5" TBE and a MiniMAXX 202k miles. Little bit of background...truck runs and drive normal, no unusual smoking or hazing, EGTs are consistenet and the DP reading on the MiniMAXX doesn't climb above 15 PSI. I've been starting to hear one loud "pop" coming from the turbo area. It started making this noise on the highway with the engine at operating temp and the cruise set at 70. It would only happen about once a week or so, but it's progressively becoming more frequent. It's now happening about once a trip and now it's not just at cruising speed. It'll still only pop once and be fine, but it's got me puzzled. Yesterday I rechecked my turbo shaft play and manifold gaskets and noticed cyl 1, 2, and 5 appear to have gaskets starting to separate. So on to the my question, other than the fact it has 202k miles, what could realistically cause exhaust gaskets to separate and start leaking?
    I guess like any other gaskets they don’t last forever. What about your manifold? Maybe your nuts are loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by david3gen View Post
    I guess like any other gaskets they don’t last forever. What about your manifold? Maybe your nuts are loose
    I suppose they could be, but I haven't checked them. I'll check before I head in to work. I'm thinking bigger problems too, like excessive DP that the MiniMAXX isn't reading? I know it only reads what the sensor tells it, so could I actually be running more DP than it says? Could it be the turbo failing and the gaskets are just a coincidence?

7. Likes david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I suppose they could be, but I haven't checked them. I'll check before I head in to work. I'm thinking bigger problems too, like excessive DP that the MiniMAXX isn't reading? I know it only reads what the sensor tells it, so could I actually be running more DP than it says? Could it be the turbo failing and the gaskets are just a coincidence?
    Hmm hard to say. But at least it does’nt cost anything to check out these things

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by david3gen View Post
    Hmm hard to say. But at least it does’nt cost anything to check out these things
    Very true. I checked them quickly, but from what I can tell, they're all still tight. I am missing a nut for the heat shield, but that's a quick trip to the hardware store. What's really bothering me most is that pop. I unplugged my VGT while I was under the hood this morning, but it still did it on my way in to work so that should (theoretically) rule out a sticky VGT, right?

11. Likes david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Very true. I checked them quickly, but from what I can tell, they're all still tight. I am missing a nut for the heat shield, but that's a quick trip to the hardware store. What's really bothering me most is that pop. I unplugged my VGT while I was under the hood this morning, but it still did it on my way in to work so that should (theoretically) rule out a sticky VGT, right?
    Once you get all your gasket situations straightened out you need to get the MM3 Tuner and Custom tunes from Ray at DRD he is working on tuning the 07.5 to 09 Cummins right now once you do I would say that you won’t be having anymore bad running motor unless you have something else wrong with it have you checked your lift pump ?

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

13. Likes david3gen liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I’m not sure.

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Once you get all your gasket situations straightened out you need to get the MM3 Tuner and Custom tunes from Ray at DRD he is working on tuning the 07.5 to 09 Cummins right now once you do I would say that you won’t be having anymore bad running motor unless you have something else wrong with it have you checked your lift pump ?
    I know. I was excited when I saw they are working on a 3rd Gen 6.7! As far as the lift pump goes, I haven't thought to check it. Mainly because I only have this issue once or twice a day. Wouldn't a lift pump be a continuous problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast