Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  57
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ZF 8-Speed Transmission for Cummins 2020?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: ZF 8-Speed Transmission for Cummins 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    At the present moment in time, there is no indication on our side that suggests a switch to the ZF transmission for the Cummins trucks.

While the 8HP90/95 are monsters of a transmission, neither platform offers the capability needed for our trucks.

If anything, I would expect to see a switch to a variant of the AISIN for the 2500s, but the upgraded 68RFE has, so far, been proven to be a fantastic transmission.

I'd personally like to see the heavy dutys get a multi-disc torque converter & some improved gear ratios.
    Interesting - I guess ya just can't believe anything ya read or hear over the net these days!
    I guess when they (6.7L) show up on the sales floor or lot - with a New 8sp or even a 10sp then it's time to believe and spread the word...

I apologize for spreading false info/news!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SyN View Post
    Interesting - I guess ya just can't believe anything ya read or hear over the net these days!
    I guess when they (6.7L) show up on the sales floor or lot - with a New 8sp or even a 10sp then it's time to believe and spread the word...

It was on the internet..... it’s gotta be true! LOL

2016 Ram Laramie 3500 (DRD), G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

No need for apologies. The fact still remains that there are plenty of media outlets that are spreading information that they claim is from "insiders". When in reality a lot of it is hypotheticals being tossed around based on miscellaneous information found online.

What I can tell you is, the leaks that exist for things like the TRX are done so, mostly in part, at FCAs allowance. But FCA employees on the R&D side are committed to hefty NDAs that nobody would try to circumvent.

Keep your ears to the ground later this summer & towards the end of the year; thats when all the new stuff will start to drop and theories can become reality. I only work in a dealership so we get the information around the same time as the general public (with a few exceptions) but our order sheets/build sheets don't lie.

As it stands right now, 2021MY trucks are not available for order so until that time, everything is really just a rumor. 2021MY Jeep Wranglers & Compasses are the only thing available currently. The TRX officially drops late summer. And the new Grand Cherokee & Grand Wagoneer should be expected near years end. Outside of those things, hard to say whats in the pipe.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

6. Thanks SyN, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

It actually doesn't concern me a whole lot - since I'm some what content with my 11K mile 68RFE - But once deleted if issues should occur down the Road --->DRT will get the call...

As a Ram fan - I just hope FCA gets it right the first time with the selection - whether it will be a 8sp or 10sp.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

It actually doesn't concern me a whole lot - since I'm some what content with my 11K mile 68RFE - But once deleted if issues should occur down the Road --->DRT will get the call...

As a Ram fan - I just hope FCA gets it right the first time with the selection - whether it will be a 8sp or 10sp.
    I just cant get behind a 8 or 10 speed mated to a diesel.

No part of that seems like a viable choice.

Given the limited RPM range of diesel engines I feel like the transmission would be constantly hunting gears.

I mean the 8 speed in the Power Wagons does well but it does tend to hunt 6-8 a bit on the highway.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

10. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

I understand what your getting at.

Like I said - If it happens - I hope FCA gets it right the first time and not years of complaints & issues!

Even though FCA has had years to correct the few weak flaws with the 68RFE & have all but ignored these for whatever reason... It's has the blue print to be a very capable/durable transmission with a few minor changes!

Only complaint I have about mine & I'm not normally a bitcher - 1st / 2nd / 3rd gears seem to be perfectly spaced out and run smooth - Once 3rd goes to 4th - it feels like the bottom bottom just falls out of the whole dang thing = (Gutless)
    With Tow Haul Mode its not really that noticeable... I've got to where I just normally drive in THM...

(Also Just Thinking Out Loud) - Maybe the Torque Curve or Sweet Spot of the Cummins is best suited for a (HD well thought out & built 6 speed) when compared to newer PSD or Duramax...

A couple months ago - Had a co-worker bring his new 2020 F250 6.7L with the TorqShift 10R140 by the house & yes me being a long time Ford Fan - Jumped at the Opportunity to drive her.
    Driving her Unloaded around town and highway 65-80 mph - I will say she is Very Impressive!

My Actual Honest Driving Impression - My 68RFE in stock form - is no where in the same league as the 10R140.

Of course I would NEVER Pay (what he paid) for ANY 3/4 ton truck - But it is what it is and I can live with it!

12. Likes BrentM, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123