Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd like to have 5 minutes alone with the idiot who thought this one up

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

I'd like to have 5 minutes alone with the idiot who thought this one up

Since summer hit and I have the windows down, I've heard a squeak when I hit bumps. Didn't matter how small a bump. Had my wife get in the bed and bounce up and down a little, which took a bit because she's so small.

I'm under the truck trying to find the source and the sound is all over the place. Finally traced it down to the right rear shock. As I grab the top of the shock, it moves. Not just the shock, but also the mounting bolt. I pulled the lower bolt and the shock and about 3" of the upper shock bolt came out with the shock. The bolt had broken roughly in half. And it's rusted. Even the end where it had broken was rusted.

Ok, things happen. I don't off road or any of that. I drive and I tow. Truck has a little over 100K on her. Shouldn't have happened, but it did. To clarify a bit, over the frame is welded a 'saddle' that is for, in this case, the front 5th wheel puck on the passenger side. Thru that saddle is the mounting bolt for the shock.

Anyway, locate the head of the bolt on the outside of the frame. It's tight against the frame. I use my impact driver to loosen it. It doesn't budge and I figure it's really rusted. Problem is the socket (21mm) won't fit on the head of the bolt all the way. I'm not getting a good bite.

I look closer and the head of the bolt is TACK WELDED to the frame! Ary you freakin' kidding me!! I look at the other 4 bolt head and they're ALL welded!!

Longer story short, it takes a side grinder with a cut off wheel to remove the head, a torch to heat up the frame around the bolt a long punch and a big freakin' hammer to remove what was left of the bolt. It was rusted like it had been in salt water for 10 years.

Had to order the bolts from Fastenal. $17 each plus shipping. I ordered 2 and it's a good thing I did.

I removed the other shock tonight. Bottom bolt came right out just like the other. Are you ready for this? I was able to get the shock off the the rubber bushing but not the bushing or sleeve that goes over the bolt. I may have to cut the head off that one too.

I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow for the shifter recall. I'm going to tell them to get the bolt cleaned off. Whatever it takes.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited by Whitewolf; 07-16-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: I'd like to have 5 minutes alone with the idiot who thought this one up

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
    Since summer hit and I have the windows down, I've heard a squeak when I hit bumps. Didn't matter how small a bump. Had my wife get in the bed and bounce up and down a little, which took a bit because she's so small.

I'm under the truck trying to find the source and the sound is all over the place. Finally traced it down to the right rear shock. As I grab the top of the shock, it moves. Not just the shock, but also the mounting bolt. I pulled the lower bolt and the shock and about 3" of the upper shock bolt came out with the shock. The bolt had broken roughly in half. And it's rusted. Even the end where it had broken was rusted.

Ok, things happen. I don't off road or any of that. I drive and I tow. Truck has a little over 100K on her. Shouldn't have happened, but it did. To clarify a bit, over the frame is welded a 'saddle' that is for, in this case, the front 5th wheel puck on the passenger side. Thru that saddle is the mounting bolt for the shock.

Anyway, locate the head of the bolt on the outside of the frame. It's tight against the frame. I use my impact driver to loosen it. It doesn't budge and I figure it's really rusted. Problem is the socket (21mm) won't fit on the head of the bolt all the way. I'm not getting a good bite.

I look closer and the head of the bolt is TACK WELDED to the frame! Ary you freakin' kidding me!! I look at the other 4 bolt head and they're ALL welded!!

Longer story short, it takes a side grinder with a cut off wheel to remove the head, a torch to heat up the frame around the bolt a long punch and a big freakin' hammer to remove what was left of the bolt. It was rusted like it had been in salt water for 10 years.

Had to order the bolts from Fasteal. $17 each plus shipping. I ordered 2 and it's a good thing I did.

I removed the other shock tonight. Bottom bolt came right out just like the other. Are you ready for this? I was able to get the shock off the the rubber bushing but not the bushing or sleeve that goes over the bolt. I may have to cut the head off that one too.

I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow for the shifter recall. I'm going to tell them to get the bolt cleaned off. Whatever it takes.

We'll see what happens.
    Yes indeed the wonderful world of engineering 101 it looks great on paper but it doesn’t work for **** in the real world

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Likes walla2k5, david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Subscribe .. want to keep up with this one. Sounds like a hair puller.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes walla2k5, david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I went to the dealer for the recall updates and one of the mechanic got the rubber bushing and steel insert off. He ended up cutting off the rubber and using a die grinder to cut just enough thru the insert without damaging the bolt. Then used an air chisel to to break it loose off the bolt. What a pain in the a$$ for him.

He showed me what he had done and was pretty happy with himself, as he should be. I was happy too. I didn't have to do it. He said they had not changed any rear shocks on any trucks with a 5th wheel setup. Now he knows what to do. Glad I could help. We talked about using a good anti-seize or wheel bearing grease. I've got some old school copper graphite and some water resistant synthetic wheel bearing grease. Haven't decided what to use yet.

Still waiting on the bolt from Fastenal to arrive.

8. Likes Power247, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

If ya want to lube it up for removal later, NeverSeize is the way to go. I retired from a refinery, and when they needed to lube bolts for removal later (and they did it by the hundred of thousands each year) they used NeverSeize. Bolts that were never touched for decades came off with little work. Only downside is if you get a slight smear on something .. one tiny touch will spread by square yards in size. Great stuff .. just be ready for clean up if you make a mess.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Got my bolts from Fastenal. $17.10 for each bolt. $19.34 for them to be shipped. WOW!

AOB- Never heard of NeverSeize. Would have looked for it today while in town if I'd read your post before. Anyway shocks are on and I ended up using the synthetic wheel bearing grease.

Hope I don't run into anything unforeseen when I change the front ones next week.

12. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    If ya want to lube it up for removal later, NeverSeize is the way to go. I retired from a refinery, and when they needed to lube bolts for removal later (and they did it by the hundred of thousands each year) they used NeverSeize. Bolts that were never touched for decades came off with little work. Only downside is if you get a slight smear on something .. one tiny touch will spread by square yards in size. Great stuff .. just be ready for clean up if you make a mess.
    I’ve used a lot of neverseize just like old biker said it is great stuff but it also can and will make you and your clothes a mess

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

14. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Rust gets ya every time. If you've ever restored any cars, you'd see allot of strange stuff. I'm on my 7th resto

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

16. Likes david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Ok, it took me longer to get the front shocks replaced. Had to make an emergency trip to southern Missouri and am heading back down Thursday.

The first side took a bit of time as I was getting all the tools together. Hardest part was finding the right wrench or socket to take the top nut loose. 17mm - too small. 19mm - too big. 11/16" - too small. 3/4" - too big. I ended up using a 3/4" wrench and going thru the wheel well. Also needed my large Channelocks to hold the upper shock while breaking the nut loose. It took a 22mm and my impact driver on the lower mounting bolt.

Ride is better. It's not a Cadillac and never will be. If I'd wanted a Caddy, I'd bought a Caddy. I wanted a 1 ton. And I got the ride that goes with it.

Neither old shock was leaking. BTW, neither were either of the back ones. With the old front shock out and before I put a new one in, I compressed them all the way at the same time. New shocks seemed to compress a little easier. When I let up, the new shocks extended much quicker. That means the rebound will be quicker.

Went to town tonight to meet a friend at the brewery. Ride felt tight again. No more stutter when I hit a bump.

Thinkin' of replacing the steering stabilizer, just cause. Then everything will be done. Holy Wah! Those things are expensive! Oh, well. Welcome to the world of 1 tons.

18. Likes david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Congrats on finally getting it all done. I need to do mine this year too. I think I missed it, what shocks did you end up going with?

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

20. Likes cumminsbadgirl, david3gen liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast