Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: truck is cranking over but wont start!

1. Top Of Page | #21
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'd probably take the edge off also. Until you get it running to rule out the possibility of it being the cause.

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Oh I've taken my edge off and the same thing happens

2004.5 2500 4x4 cummins, upgrade the 48re and added a fass150. - Burnt up from the front bumper to the driver/passenger seat.
    2009 2500 cummins 6.7l 4x4. DPF/erg delete, 100 HP injectors (dont remember who from, my mechanic picked them) , Aisin transmission with the ATS tranny pan, efilive DPS5 switch, edge cts for gauges, bullseye power drop-in HE351 Batmowheel, rocking 20" XD Series wheels. b&w turn over hitch, 5in exhaust to 6" dual stacks. pretty sure im forgetting something.

3. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 95taylor331 View Post
    Just throwing this out there but my brothers did a simular thing and it turned out to be a bad ground, he fixed it and she lived again
    Would you happen to know which ground wire it was? Might have to go recheck mine.

2004.5 2500 4x4 cummins, upgrade the 48re and added a fass150. - Burnt up from the front bumper to the driver/passenger seat.
    2009 2500 cummins 6.7l 4x4. DPF/erg delete, 100 HP injectors (dont remember who from, my mechanic picked them) , Aisin transmission with the ATS tranny pan, efilive DPS5 switch, edge cts for gauges, bullseye power drop-in HE351 Batmowheel, rocking 20" XD Series wheels. b&w turn over hitch, 5in exhaust to 6" dual stacks. pretty sure im forgetting something.

4. Top Of Page | #24
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Did you check continuity on the valve cover gasket to make sure no wires were broken?

Also did you try starting it with the valve cover off? A lot of times if there is a short in the wiring coming through the gasket taking the pressure off the gasket will eliminate the short.

Did you ever test the crank sensor? I saw you changed the cam sensor but as was mentioned above the truck will not start with a bad crank sensor. I mentioned pulling the edge just as a process of elimination to make sure it wasn't an issue. Get a one month subscription to Mitchell or one of the other electronic service manuals if you don't have a service manual to tell you the procedure. My subscription is expired or I would look it up and tell you how to do it.

Is there any chance you know someone with a star scan or Autoenginuity with a Chrysler pack to plug into it. There will be a sub system code on it that a standard code reader will not see. That code will point you at the problem. I have an Autoenginuity with the domestic bundle and it has saved me far more than the 800 dollar price tag to find and fix problems on mine. It's about 500 for just the basic kit and the Chrysler bundle. It will make your head spin when you see how many codes your truck is throwing that you never see. It's a good investment if you work on your own vehicle.

If you were in my area I would come by and hook it up to help you out.

Check the main grounds coming off of the battery.

5. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcdebol View Post
    Did you check continuity on the valve cover gasket to make sure no wires were broken?
    "i was going to do that today but it was blowing dirt and i didnt want to take the change of that crap blowing into the motor, but tomorrow i will check the wires."
    Also did you try starting it with the valve cover off? A lot of times if there is a short in the wiring coming through the gasket taking the pressure off the gasket will eliminate the short.
    "Yes i believe ive tried starting it with the valve cover off and if i remember correctly it was still nothing and my edge has been taken off."
    Did you ever test the crank sensor? I saw you changed the cam sensor but as was mentioned above the truck will not start with a bad crank sensor. I mentioned pulling the edge just as a process of elimination to make sure it wasn't an issue. Get a one month subscription to Mitchell or one of the other electronic service manuals if you don't have a service manual to tell you the procedure. My subscription is expired or I would look it up and tell you how to do it.
    "Yes sir, ive checked the crank sensor and that bad boy was still working like a champ. i will have to look into that mitchell and surely i can print that bad boy off."
    Is there any chance you know someone with a star scan or Autoenginuity with a Chrysler pack to plug into it. There will be a sub system code on it that a standard code reader will not see. That code will point you at the problem. I have an Autoenginuity with the domestic bundle and it has saved me far more than the 800 dollar price tag to find and fix problems on mine. It's about 500 for just the basic kit and the Chrysler bundle. It will make your head spin when you see how many codes your truck is throwing that you never see. It's a good investment if you work on your own vehicle.
    "wow, that not cheap but im sure its well worth it, i will have to see if anyone around here has one. yeah i do like to work on my own vehicle and getting into that stuff so ill know what is being done to it and not get screwed over by the dealership."
    "its not biggie. im learning alot from everyone on here and all the help ive gotten from yall guys. i saw i owe yall big time."

"Yes i believe ive tried starting it with the valve cover off and if i remember correctly it was still nothing and my edge has been taken off."
    "Yes sir, ive checked the crank sensor and that bad boy was still working like a champ. i will have to look into that mitchell and surely i can print that bad boy off."
    "wow, that not cheap but im sure its well worth it, i will have to see if anyone around here has one. yeah i do like to work on my own vehicle and getting into that stuff so ill know what is being done to it and not get screwed over by the dealership."
    "its not biggie. im learning alot from everyone on here and all the help ive gotten from yall guys. i saw i owe yall big time."

6. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

oh not sure if this would be of any help to yall but when i had that valve cover off, i could hear a ticking noise coming from the injectors.

7. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Then you must have a fuel pressure problem. Are you sure the lift pump is working? Are you sure there is enough fuel pressure to the injectors? Are you sure the connector tubes are torqued right?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Then you must have a fuel pressure problem. Are you sure the lift pump is working? Are you sure there is enough fuel pressure to the injectors? Are you sure the connector tubes are torqued right?
    not a 100 sure if the lift pump is working but i can hear a humming coming from the fuel tank and i have no idea what my fuel pressure is at. my connector tubes are torqued to 37 ft per lbs.

9. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

open the drain in the filter and turn the key on. If it comes squirting out of there. . Lift pump is good.

if those connector tubes are leaking, it won't start. You're losing pressure. Problem with the Common rails. Ask Alex about that. . . . .

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    open the drain in the filter and turn the key on. If it comes squirting out of there. . Lift pump is good.

if those connector tubes are leaking, it won't start. You're losing pressure. Problem with the Common rails. Ask Alex about that. . . . .
    I will try that out.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast