Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans Heat. What is to hot

1. Top Of Page | #1

Trans Heat. What is to hot

Folks,
    Need help. It's been hot here in Comiefornia and I have my MM3 tunes in and it been 100 - 106. Temp in tranny went to 224. Installed new filters and a Mag Hytech deep pan. Still no change. Yes, replaced all filters with Oem and made sure all the #s were correct. No change. Can someone give me some suggestions on what I need to check? Running semi synth oil (Lucas) Multi Vehicle. Spoke to the Lucas folks and they said I was fine. Now I am leaning towards an additional oil cooler with fan. I plan on pulling a 15k fifth wheel RV soon and do not want to run into any trans problem. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

TheSleeperGoat

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, Achernan28 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trans Heat. What is to hot

Quote Originally Posted by TheSleeperGoat View Post
    Folks,
    Need help. It's been hot here in Comiefornia and I have my MM3 tunes in and it been 100 - 106. Temp in tranny went to 224. Installed new filters and a Mag Hytech deep pan. Still no change. Yes, replaced all filters with Oem and made sure all the #s were correct. No change. Can someone give me some suggestions on what I need to check? Running semi synth oil (Lucas) Multi Vehicle. Spoke to the Lucas folks and they said I was fine. Now I am leaning towards an additional oil cooler with fan. I plan on pulling a 15k fifth wheel RV soon and do not want to run into any trans problem. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

TheSleeperGoat

The 68RFE and all Mopar transmissions don’t like anything other then ATF+4 fluid is the best lots of guys have tried running different fluids and the transmission doesn’t like it if your getting all the way up to 224 not pulling a load you got problems waiting right around corner by adding a Double Deep Mag Hytec pan it should’ve changed your temps dramatically I’ve never been that hot not even pulling a trailer or just running my truck with my Double Deep Mag Hytec Pan and I live in the Southern United States were it’s been pretty much consistently well over 100 degrees since last month

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheSleeperGoat View Post
    Folks,

TheSleeperGoat

Use Full Synthetic ATF+4 as mentioned. Converter locking up ok? Cooler plugged with debris? High temps on the highway, or in stop and go?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

As far as I know ATF+4 is full synthetic trans fluid

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Well I am regeared went from 3.42 to 4.56's? Also running 37" tires. Temps here have been 90-100 degrees was running a grade stop and go for the most part. Had about 2 miles of open road then back to stop and go in town traffic. shifting seems to be ok. Trans is still I guess is doing the learning process since I put my MM3 tunes in. Heck I don't know if the cooler would be plugged? How is that checked. And would the fluid really make that much of a difference. If so I will run down and buy the Mopar stuff again. Maybe my EVIC is off? Not sure.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

Well I am gonna go get the original +4 and run it. We shall see if that works. I am praying that's the issue.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

Thinking about this. Riddle me this if you don't mind. Do you guys think maybe my trans tune is not correct? If so I am not sure what to tell the folks that sent me the tunes?

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I would verify those temps somehow... not sure the best way.
    Stop and go in those high ambient temps will definitely push up the tranny temps. The torque converter doesn't get a chance to lock up, so you're building heat from it slipping. I don't have experience with those driving conditions... someone else will chime in.
    Depending on your year and tuner you may be able to get 2nd gear lock up. It helps when towing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

16. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

Thanks just changed the trans fluid to the Mopar brand. Might have gave it a little to much. Gonna run it and then check it again.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

So if anyone is curious Mopar is a Synthetic. LOL. I didn't know that. Until this morning. Thought it was conventional. There is the proof. $34 a Gal. Diesel prices in Comiefornia are catching up real quick. LOL!

20. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast